• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Scary situation - The Michigan Dam failures

Is your fair city or home downstream of a dam ?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Scary situation - The Michigan Dam failures

Is your fair city or home downstream of a dam ?
The neighborhood next to ours is downstream from a small dam but it was just replaced, modernized, and made a bit smaller a few years before we moved in. The lake around the dam is small enough now and the homes directly downstream all sit up high enough that I don't think there is much danger of a flood in these parts. There's also a large, wide, grassy park maybe a quarter mile downstream from the park that was designed to help mitigate any potential flooding in the case of a failure.

However, just south of that park is another dam on the same river that seems to be in constant need of repair and near failure. I think one of the articles I read about it a couple years ago said it's over 100 years old and has never had any major improvements or upgrades made to it. It's been made worse over the years by a couple of large golf courses that were built nearby decades ago that changed the drainage patterns and now send more water into the lake than was originally intended. Every few years the village talks about removing the dam completely as it's no longer necessary and there would be less danger of flooding without the dam but the homeowners right on the little lake always seem to fight it. One of these days that one will fail and it will be a big mess since it would flood into a few pretty dense neighborhoods and probably overwhelm a nearby interceptor drain that serves a pretty large area.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I got a call from the Army Corps office in the big city nearby a few years ago demanding to know why we permitted a dam on a local creek. I told the caller I've been here 25+ years and have NEVER issued a permit for a dam and I'm most definitely not aware of anybody that might have issued such a permit.

Sure enough, there it was, a small concrete damn over the little creek, built without a permit. Turns out, the landowner told us that a contractor from the county offered to build it cheap, no permits were required, and it would be wonderful. Tens of thousands of dollars later in labor, legal fees, and fines, the little creek again ran unfettered to the sea. :p

Planit

Cyburbian
:p
Acceptance rescinded. Hubby said he once saw someone do this in person and that I was not "allowed" to try it.

There go my goals for quarantine.
Another dream dashed by reality.

I understand there are similarities in your previous & present careers. In the past, you dealt with babies who cried until they got what they wanted (developers, politicians, etc). Now you deal with babies who cry until you take care of them. Same thing, different uniform. :cool:

DVD

Cyburbian
There's an increased need for common sense these days, rather than the forced discourse that's trending.
What we need is more people being told "shut the F@$K up, you're an idiot." I was told that many times in my youth and now I'm only partially an idiot.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
I told her I only know one person well who is a member; a guy I have liked and respected for many years. I asked her if she knew the guy (who literally has the same name as the most famous Confederate General). She said in a club full of racists, he is number one. He won't let African-Americans serve him or caddie for him, for starters.
Did you know that he was like that? Ever hear anything bad about the guy other than what your sister said? (Not doubting her, more wondering how well he hides it around certain company vs. others.)

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
:p

I understand there are similarities in your previous & present careers. In the past, you dealt with babies who cried until they got what they wanted (developers, politicians, etc). Now you deal with babies who cry until you take care of them. Same thing, different uniform. :cool:
True! Still dealing with a lot of 💩 too!

DVD

Cyburbian
I actually did some work today. Now I'm caught up until some time next week.

Had some problem with a project that I had to send to one of our specialty supervisors. She got all confused about transferring grading rights across property lines and sent it to the boss.
Boss came back with a clear answer, I told them to do that and to make sure the plat included both lots so we could record the grading transfer.
My answer,, understood, I'll make sure the plat comes in right.
Her answer, several more emails asking the boss questions. Yep, she's a supervisor. I strongly believe they made her a supervisor just to get her out of plan review. She was holding up all kinds of projects.

Planit

Cyburbian
If you are driving down the road & you notice people taking out their phones & filming you … you might want to pull over to see what's going on with your vehicle.

I saw a car with a couple sheets of plywood on top, flapping/bouncing/lifting in the wind as they drove down the road. I made sure I got out of his way.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Does anybody still use the LBCS (Land Based Classification Standard) from the APA 1999 ?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I have five containers that are capable of holding liquid on my desk.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
1- shot glass
2- wine glass
3 -coffee mug
4 - water glass
5 - water dish for pet
1. Plastic water bottle
2. Camelbak bottle with water in it.
3. Coffee cup.
4. Travel coffee mug.
5. Coke bottle.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The lawn crew was at our house just after 8:00 a.m. and the milkman was here sometime before that and of course I didn't think to put the empty bottles and the cooler on the porch before my morning run. The ice cream was still packed in dry ice though so hopefully it wasn't out there too long and it didn't get too melty.

#FirstWorldProblems

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
That's still a thing?
In our neighborhood it is.

I've noticed that some of the houses that use the service and still have milk chutes actually have them put the milk and stuff in the chute. Ours was bricked over years ago.

A few of the houses here have been using the service for years but we just signed up for it at the start of the stay-at-home period. It's not inexpensive but it is convenient and the stuff they provide is pretty high quality. I think we're going to keep using the service even after all of this is over. It's nice to know that every week we'll get our milk, yogurt, eggs, ice cream, bread, and a few other staples. They sell meat and poultry but most of it is too expensive for our tastes (though there are a few good bargains in there). If they offered fresh produce each week, it would be an awesome service... but we get our produce handled by another home delivery service and we've been using that for about 3 years now. I do keep an eye out for a local service that offers meat, dairy, and produce so maybe one day I'll find one.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The lawn crew was at our house just after 8:00 a.m. and the milkman was here sometime before that and of course I didn't think to put the empty bottles and the cooler on the porch before my morning run. The ice cream was still packed in dry ice though so hopefully it wasn't out there too long and it didn't get too melty.

#FirstWorldProblems
Remember the Schwan's truck from back in the day? I'm kind of shocked the company is still around, I haven't seen one of their delivery trucks in years. It's a much bigger company than I expected. They own Red Baron, Freschetta, Tony's, and Mrs. Smith's branded frozen food lines.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Plastic water bottle
2. Camelbak bottle with water in it.
3. Coffee cup.
4. Travel coffee mug.
5. Coke bottle.
1. drink cup with tea (iced)
2. half full Sprite bottle
3. empty yeti cup
4. empty metal water bottle
5. pretty full hand sanitizer bottle

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Remember the Schwan's truck from back in the day? I'm kind of shocked the company is still around, I haven't seen one of their delivery trucks in years. It's a much bigger company than I expected. They own Red Baron, Freschetta, Tony's, and Mrs. Smith's branded frozen food lines.
Our next door neighbors used Schwan's and we looked at that when we signed up for our dairy delivery but were surprised at how expensive the Schwan's stuff was, though I've heard their prepared foods are pretty good. That said, after we started using our dairy company about 6 weeks ago the neighbor lady asked us about it and then I noticed that they ended up dropping Schwan's and switching over to our company.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Our next door neighbors used Schwan's and we looked at that when we signed up for our dairy delivery but were surprised at how expensive the Schwan's stuff was, though I've heard their prepared foods are pretty good. That said, after we started using our dairy company about 6 weeks ago the neighbor lady asked us about it and then I noticed that they ended up dropping Schwan's and switching over to our company.
I saw the prices when I looked at the site a few minutes ago. I was shocked. 15.99 for 1.5 gallons of ice cream!! I think Schwan's was expensive back when I saw them around our neighborhood though. The joke was always that the people who got Schwan's were rich. They were bought out by a South Korean company in 2019 and are no longer controlled by the Schwan's family. I wonder if that affected the prices?

The idea has always intrigued me. I suspect that companies like Schwan's and food meal boxes like Hello Fresh or Blue Apron will see a significant rise in business, even after the COVID crisis is over. The convenience is well worth the slight premium you pay.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I saw the prices when I looked at the site a few minutes ago. I was shocked. 15.99 for 1.5 gallons of ice cream!! I think Schwan's was expensive back when I saw them around our neighborhood though. The joke was always that the people who got Schwan's were rich. They were bought out by a South Korean company in 2019 and are no longer controlled by the Schwan's family. I wonder if that affected the prices?

The idea has always intrigued me. I suspect that companies like Schwan's and food meal boxes like Hello Fresh or Blue Apron will see a significant rise in business, even after the COVID crisis is over. The convenience is well worth the slight premium you pay.
I am hopeful we see more local delivery of goods. I would pay for a butcher to deliver meat, or a milkman milk. We just don't have those options available to us. I would pay the premium to get the local guy who cares about their product.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
There was actually a story on NPR's Marketplace (I think it was on there that I heard it) earlier this week that specifically talked about the meal box services like Hello Fresh and Blue Apron. Apparently, when they first all came on the scene 4 or 5 years, their revenue was growing pretty quickly but in 2019 nearly all of them fell off a cliff after a lot of the existing customers realized how expensive they were for what you actually get and they began to drop the services and failed to attract many new customers. Then when the pandemic hit, they started growing pretty quickly again and the ones they looked at that were close to bankruptcy a year ago are now set to have a pretty good year again.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
NPR Market Place - What will dining out look like post-COVID?

DVD

Cyburbian
All that is based in Salina, KS where I used to live. I no longer eat Red Baron thanks to some NSFW stories one of my inspectors told me from when he used to work there. Who knew little old ladies could do some of the things they did with pizza dough.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Just got a message that someone on the private/sales side has an issue with my Agency's recommendation and wants me to get it changed ASAP. The recommendation is based on regional amendments to the national fire code and was debated 3 years ago based on the 2018 code. These are recommendations, we are not a regulatory agency, and the recommendations were voted on at 3 levels before being published.

I wonder what he's going to complain about after 3 years?

This is going to be a fun phone call.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The lady across the street from us has a lawn service she uses on occasion (no regular schedule for service for her yard, more of an on-call thing). They came by a couple of weeks ago to mow/edge/blow, parked on the curb in front of her house, and marked the outside corners of their truck with orange cones. And, when they finished up and departed, they somehow managed to leave one of the cones out in the street.

So, orange cone out in the street - I did not notice it until a few hours later when I went out to the mailbox (I can't see that part of the street from my home office due to a berm in our front yard). Vehicles were apparently slowing down and driving around it - maybe thinking it was marking a pothole? Anyhoo, I moved it over to the gutter adjacent to the curb and let our neighbor know her yard guys had left her a present.

She apparently didn't feel the need to move it. So, it sat there completely untouched for two weeks - pedestrians were basically walking past it without even noticing it. Flash forward to a couple of days ago when I decided I would start moving it down the street a few feet every day. Of course, the first day I moved it, a monsoon blew through in the early evening, and the cone washed down the street about 50 feet before coming to rest at the entrance to a storm drain. Yesterday, someone other than me finally decided to do something with it. And by "do something with it", I mean they picked it up from the gutter and moved it all of two feet onto the top of the storm drain. It's still sitting there this afternoon.

I'm open to suggestions on where to move it to next.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Why would you submit me a digital copy of a major subdivision for review, and then within hours come over with the hard copies of it? There were several changes to be made, so everything they dropped off is worthless.

DVD

Cyburbian
But my neighbors and engineer said... (where's the facepalm emojii?)

The cone should go:
1. On or in someones mailbox
2. In an empty planter
3. Around the block, slowly, on your daily walks
4. On a broken tree branch

AG74683

Cyburbian
The cone should go into your trunk. Place it on your desired parking spot at the office parking lot when you leave. When you come back, put the cone back into the trunk and pull in to your perpetually saved parking spot. Also works well for on street parking.

And, as an added bonus, parking cones work really well as megaphones or other sound amplifiers. Place the small end of the cone over your phone speaker!

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
There was actually a story on NPR's Marketplace (I think it was on there that I heard it) earlier this week that specifically talked about the meal box services like Hello Fresh and Blue Apron. Apparently, when they first all came on the scene 4 or 5 years, their revenue was growing pretty quickly but in 2019 nearly all of them fell off a cliff after a lot of the existing customers realized how expensive they were for what you actually get and they began to drop the services and failed to attract many new customers. Then when the pandemic hit, they started growing pretty quickly again and the ones they looked at that were close to bankruptcy a year ago are now set to have a pretty good year again.
I think they also mentioned that on a podcast I was listening to earlier this week - 1A or Planet Money, can't remember which.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
The cone should go into your trunk. Place it on your desired parking spot at the office parking lot when you leave. When you come back, put the cone back into the trunk and pull in to your perpetually saved parking spot. Also works well for on street parking.

And, as an added bonus, parking cones work really well as megaphones or other sound amplifiers. Place the small end of the cone over your phone speaker!
Or, if you live in Boston, use a lawn chair or garbage can.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
In our neighborhood it is.

I've noticed that some of the houses that use the service and still have milk chutes actually have them put the milk and stuff in the chute. Ours was bricked over years ago.

A few of the houses here have been using the service for years but we just signed up for it at the start of the stay-at-home period. It's not inexpensive but it is convenient and the stuff they provide is pretty high quality. I think we're going to keep using the service even after all of this is over. It's nice to know that every week we'll get our milk, yogurt, eggs, ice cream, bread, and a few other staples. They sell meat and poultry but most of it is too expensive for our tastes (though there are a few good bargains in there). If they offered fresh produce each week, it would be an awesome service... but we get our produce handled by another home delivery service and we've been using that for about 3 years now. I do keep an eye out for a local service that offers meat, dairy, and produce so maybe one day I'll find one.
We had dairy delivery in Dearborn when we lived there. Can't remember the name of the dairy.... might be the same one you use?

Planit

Cyburbian
The refrigerator dilemma might have come to an end. We spoke with an appliance repairman over the phone & described the issue. He indicated it was either the fan or a thermostat & both are easily fixed.

When he got to the house & looked at it Mrs. P asked if it was worth fixing & he said absolutely that he would have 2 of these in this condition than a new one. He fixed it for $150, including the service call.

That's way better than the $2400 I would have had to shell out for a new one.

BTW - he said about 5 years ago, all refrigerators went to a computer module and when those go, its probably toast. Ours is 10 years old and he indicated it should run another 10 years easily.

dw914er

Cyburbian
The refrigerator dilemma might have come to an end. We spoke with an appliance repairman over the phone & described the issue. He indicated it was either the fan or a thermostat & both are easily fixed.

When he got to the house & looked at it Mrs. P asked if it was worth fixing & he said absolutely that he would have 2 of these in this condition than a new one. He fixed it for $150, including the service call.

That's way better than the $2400 I would have had to shell out for a new one.

BTW - he said about 5 years ago, all refrigerators went to a computer module and when those go, its probably toast. Ours is 10 years old and he indicated it should run another 10 years easily.
I have an LG fridge I bought about 5 years ago when my wife and I bought our house. As the saying goes, "they don't make them like they used to." A lot of the modern appliances have been designed to be disposable, but with all the new (and unnecessary) features, their prices seem to continue to increase.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
The lady across the street from us has a lawn service she uses on occasion (no regular schedule for service for her yard, more of an on-call thing). They came by a couple of weeks ago to mow/edge/blow, parked on the curb in front of her house, and marked the outside corners of their truck with orange cones. And, when they finished up and departed, they somehow managed to leave one of the cones out in the street.

So, orange cone out in the street - I did not notice it until a few hours later when I went out to the mailbox (I can't see that part of the street from my home office due to a berm in our front yard). Vehicles were apparently slowing down and driving around it - maybe thinking it was marking a pothole? Anyhoo, I moved it over to the gutter adjacent to the curb and let our neighbor know her yard guys had left her a present.

She apparently didn't feel the need to move it. So, it sat there completely untouched for two weeks - pedestrians were basically walking past it without even noticing it. Flash forward to a couple of days ago when I decided I would start moving it down the street a few feet every day. Of course, the first day I moved it, a monsoon blew through in the early evening, and the cone washed down the street about 50 feet before coming to rest at the entrance to a storm drain. Yesterday, someone other than me finally decided to do something with it. And by "do something with it", I mean they picked it up from the gutter and moved it all of two feet onto the top of the storm drain. It's still sitting there this afternoon.

I'm open to suggestions on where to move it to next.
omg I love this

Definitely place it in different locations daily

We have a Whirlpool fridge someone gave us when they were cleaning out their kitchen and I like it - we used to have an Amana that was amazing - I would get Amana if I had to replace this one in the future.

AG74683

Cyburbian
My fridge is a Frigidaire and came with the house. I don't care for it, just because it kinda feels cheap, as all Frigidaire stuff seems to be. It's overall a decent fridge though. The clips on a cosmetic cap over the wires connecting to the freezer door were broken probably before I took ownership. It keeps popping up and finally I went searching for a replacement. $28 dollars!! I think I'll try affixing it with velcro or something and see if it works.

Planit

Cyburbian
My fridge is a Frigidaire and came with the house. I don't care for it, just because it kinda feels cheap, as all Frigidaire stuff seems to be. It's overall a decent fridge though. The clips on a cosmetic cap over the wires connecting to the freezer door were broken probably before I took ownership. It keeps popping up and finally I went searching for a replacement. $28 dollars!! I think I'll try affixing it with velcro or something and see if it works.
duct tape

kms

Cyburbian
omg I love this

Definitely place it in different locations daily

We have a Whirlpool fridge someone gave us when they were cleaning out their kitchen and I like it - we used to have an Amana that was amazing - I would get Amana if I had to replace this one in the future.
I liked my Amana refrigerator. I have a Kenmore that I bought from Sears scratch and sent store. It keeps my food cold so I'm pleased with it.

My mom had a 30 year old Kenmore range that still worked well.