• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

DVD

Cyburbian
My fridge is a Frigidaire and came with the house. I don't care for it, just because it kinda feels cheap, as all Frigidaire stuff seems to be. It's overall a decent fridge though. The clips on a cosmetic cap over the wires connecting to the freezer door were broken probably before I took ownership. It keeps popping up and finally I went searching for a replacement. $28 dollars!! I think I'll try affixing it with velcro or something and see if it works.
Look around. I think Frigidaire is just a high end Whirlpool. Maybe its GE. Find the equivalent model of a cheaper brand and the part number will be the same. Sadly I've learned how to fix most appliances over the years. Rule 1, don't mess with microwaves, they could actually kill you. Rule 2, the old simple ones are so much better than the new fancy ones. No computer to burn out, parts are simple and affordable. Old models are good until the motor goes and even then it might be cheaper to replace the motor. New models are good until the motor or the computer goes.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
What do you think of fingerlickers? You know, those that lick their fingers before rifling through stacks of paper or pages? Frankly it grosses me out to watch someone lick their fingers. Today, I witnessed my mailman fingerlicking the envelopes before putting our mail in the mailbox. Since mid-March, we have been diligent covidders by cleaning our hands with sanitizer after getting the mail and then quarantining the mail for 24 hours.

AG74683

Cyburbian
duct tape
It's not a real duct tape friendly place. At least from what I can tell. Maybe if I double up a piece it'll work.

Look around. I think Frigidaire is just a high end Whirlpool. Maybe its GE. Find the equivalent model of a cheaper brand and the part number will be the same. Sadly I've learned how to fix most appliances over the years. Rule 1, don't mess with microwaves, they could actually kill you. Rule 2, the old simple ones are so much better than the new fancy ones. No computer to burn out, parts are simple and affordable. Old models are good until the motor goes and even then it might be cheaper to replace the motor. New models are good until the motor or the computer goes.
I think microwaves aren't too bad. I've replaced bits and pieces over the years and never really been that terrified of it. I love messing with older washers and dryers. Those are generally really easy and enjoyable to work on. New ones aren't worth it though because everything is digital and expensive. I suspect I can just make a velcro loop or something for this and have it work just fine.

DVD

Cyburbian
So I imagine hell is a place where if you're vain all your vanity faults are pointed out to you constantly in some horrible way. We all have our faults. Kids would be constantly poking my and point out that I'm fat or birds would be picking at that mole you have. So with Trump I'm picturing this must be the worst kind of hell. He keeps trying to come the hair over, but it keeps moving to show how bald he is. He keeps getting spray tans, but the color always goes wrong and people constantly point and laugh at the green guy or the purple guy. His hands would always be too small to grip the jar he's trying to open.

I'm in a mean spirited mood today.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We had dairy delivery in Dearborn when we lived there. Can't remember the name of the dairy.... might be the same one you use?

We use a small service out of a tiny village in the northern part of the Oakland County. I picked this one mainly because they get their ice cream and milk from a farm in Ortonville called Cook's Farm Dairy which is the best ice cream I've had in Michigan.

Guernsey Farms Dairy is a bigger dairy operation closer to home and if they had a delivery service I'd probably go with them. Their ice cream is almost as good as Cook's (maybe just a step below) but they have the best chocolate milk around and we go through a lot of chocolate milk. It's my drink of choice every morning after my run. And if anybody is ever in the Detroit area and wants a fantastic old fashioned chicken dinner followed up with some great ice cream, Guernsey has a great restaurant.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yesterday afternoon I was sitting in the driveway on the side of the house while my youngest was playing and coloring with chalk. I had my radio on to Lithium, the '90s alternative and grunge satellite station, and it must have been loud enough for the neighbors to hear because when Sublime's Santeria came on the 15-year-old neighbor kid yelled out from his backyard, "Aww, turn it up! I love the oldies!"

I think I now know what it feels like to be "triggered".

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'm going to start requiring affidavits for large residential accessory buildings now I guess. This one is a 40' x 50' building with a full bathroom and 2 offices inside.....yeah okay. I guess I'll draw a line at some specific building size. Maybe anything larger than 24' x 24'?

TOFB

Cyburbian
For years, an ice cream truck that plays an annoyingly loud "Theme from the Movie The Sting" rolls down our street. We try to ignore it and wish it would go bother someone else's neighborhood.. Yesterday, we happen to be in the front yard (rare since we are back yard people) and it came by I was shocked to see people happily swarming out their houses - - kids, moms with babies, millennials, boomers, - - to get their fix. It was 330 in the afternoon on a cloudy cool day.

Well, if it gives people some joy, I'm fine with it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
For years, an ice cream truck that plays an annoyingly loud "Theme from the Movie The Sting" rolls down our street. We try to ignore it and wish it would go bother someone else's neighborhood.. Yesterday, we happen to be in the front yard (rare since we are back yard people) and it came by I was shocked to see people happily swarming out their houses - - kids, moms with babies, millennials, boomers, - - to get their fix. It was 330 in the afternoon on a cloudy cool day.

My brother has an ice cream truck that goes by their house every day. Rain or shine, in the middle of winter, doesn't matter, it's there. This is also in downtown Baltimore. I've always suspected there's a certain type of snow that truck pushes, but have never confirmed it.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
My brother has an ice cream truck that goes by their house every day. Rain or shine, in the middle of winter, doesn't matter, it's there. This is also in downtown Baltimore. I've always suspected there's a certain type of snow that truck pushes, but have never confirmed it.
Probably operated by Big Worm.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Lack of an ice cream truck is one of my biggest complaints about our neighborhood. We just don't have the density. That said, in the summer the ice cream truck does go through the next neighborhood over every other evening during the week and every afternoon on Saturday and Sunday. I know the times it goes by and schedule evening runs and walks to the playground with the kids accordingly.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
Yesterday afternoon I was sitting in the driveway on the side of the house while my youngest was playing and coloring with chalk. I had my radio on to Lithium, the '90s alternative and grunge satellite station, and it must have been loud enough for the neighbors to hear because when Sublime's Santeria came on the 15-year-old neighbor kid yelled out from his backyard, "Aww, turn it up! I love the oldies!"

I think I now know what it feels like to be "triggered".
One of the first times I felt old was when I heard REM on the local classic rock station.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian

We have that same model in my 'hood. Haven't heard it this year yet.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
By the way, I went on my first outing (that wasn't shopping for essentials or pickup up to-go food) yesterday. I went to my local brewery's taproom.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Lack of an ice cream truck is one of my biggest complaints about our neighborhood. We just don't have the density. That said, in the summer the ice cream truck does go through the next neighborhood over every other evening during the week and every afternoon on Saturday and Sunday. I know the times it goes by and schedule evening runs and walks to the playground with the kids accordingly.
Our lots are 40 to 50 feet wide so we have the density