• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't speak on marriage. My first one was a stripper I dated for a while and surprise, it was a disaster. My second one we dated for a couple days, moved in together within a week and have been living together ever since. We got married somewhere in all that. When it's right it's right, but don't go jumping to fast.
I see what you did there

little tangled up in blue thing...

DVD

Cyburbian
Sure, I'll take credit for being creative. Actually, it's just my crazy life. Sometime we'll all have drinks and I can tell the tales. It might take a few days though. There are a lot of stories.

For stories about strippers press 1 now (yes, there are multiple stories)
For damn ass things I did in my youth press 2 now.
For stories from my time in the Navy press 3 (many things overlap in this part)
For stories from after the Navy and before college press 4
For annoying or boring planner stories press 5 (includes conferences)
For actually good stories involving my family press 6
For stories from high school press 7
For stories about missed opportunities press 8
To predict my next story worthy event press 9

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I can't speak on marriage. My first one was a stripper I dated for a while and surprise, it was a disaster. My second one we dated for a couple days, moved in together within a week and have been living together ever since. We got married somewhere in all that. When it's right it's right, but don't go jumping to fast.
You were married to a stripper?! MY MAN!!! (said in the Denzel Washington manner)

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Veloise

Cyburbian
My plan is basically to see how things go this summer. She has two kids (4 & 9), and they're both in Pennsylvania until mid August with the father. I've spent a ton of time with the 4 year old. He's awesome. We've already gone on a beach trip together. I haven't met the 9 year old yet. She moved to PA in early April because she was having some significant issues at school (bullying) and they wanted her to try to get away from all that. She's done well there, but will be coming back in August too.
In other words, you're the summer fling dream date.

Years ago I realized that I needed a full year in order to tell if someone was, um, qualified. Call it a probationary period. How does he cope with holidays? Weather? Daylight? (yep, those can be issues)

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure, I'll take credit for being creative. Actually, it's just my crazy life. Sometime we'll all have drinks and I can tell the tales. It might take a few days though. There are a lot of stories.

For stories about strippers press 1 now (yes, there are multiple stories)
For damn ass things I did in my youth press 2 now.
For stories from my time in the Navy press 3 (many things overlap in this part)
For stories from after the Navy and before college press 4
For annoying or boring planner stories press 5 (includes conferences)
For actually good stories involving my family press 6
For stories from high school press 7
For stories about missed opportunities press 8
To predict my next story worthy event press 9
You are in charge of the next stanfest

DVD

Cyburbian
This online "communications" training thing is horrible. My listening skills are not fully engaged. Part of communication is having an interesting presentation. No mention of hookers and blow so I've tuned out.

I think we need a June zoom Laefest. I'm hoping Arcplans will take the lead again, but if not, maybe next Friday if I can figure out how to configure a zoom me

Veloise

Cyburbian
This online "communications" training thing is horrible. My listening skills are not fully engaged. Part of communication is having an interesting presentation. No mention of hookers and blow so I've tuned out.

I think we need a June zoom Laefest. I'm hoping Arcplans will take the lead again, but if not, maybe next Friday if I can figure out how to configure a zoom me
I hate zoom! I did manage to make a FB "room" gab session (others live in PA and play in a Civil War band)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I miss getting a phone when you sign up for a new phone plan for 2 years.... $1,000 for a phone? Really? Get off my lawn...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I miss getting a phone when you sign up for a new phone plan for 2 years.... $1,000 for a phone? Really? Get off my lawn...
I hear ya. It is just insane what some of these leases are. I pay $18 for my lease and my smartphone does everything I need it to.

kms

Cyburbian
There is nothing I hate more than a grown man blaming his admitted and serious non-compliance on factors that have nothing to do with construction.

I'm dealing with two guys who either can't cope with life, or are sniveling manipulators. I refuse to meet with one because he routinely breaks down in tears, and the other badgers me to allow him to break the law in tiny bits.

And then covid happened, which has given these two a new lease on non-compliance.

AG74683

Cyburbian
A grad student from University of Miami emailed me asking about our conservation subdivision ordinance. I sort of assumed that she picked the wrong county. We have one of the more popular county names in the country. She linked me to the paper that clearly shows our county listed as one having conservation subdivision regulations and actually having at least one of them complete. We have absolutely nothing like that. We have a cluster development option that mandates 10% open space, but that's hardly anything close to what she's looking at.

I suspect the planner that would have been here before me told whoever was looking to write the paper that we had one to make us look better. SO, I noticed his new county is also listed as having a conservation subdivision ordinance AND a completed subdivision. I referred her to him there.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Social media has to be one of the worst things to ever happen to government. I can't express how much I wish our government wouldn't be on Twitter, Facebook, etc.

I mean if that is real, that dude should get some sort of medal of honor.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Social media has to be one of the worst things to ever happen to government. I can't express how much I wish our government wouldn't be on Twitter, Facebook, etc.
I hear you but government HAS to be on social media now. If not, there is no other voice except the others talking on social media and that's not good either.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I hear you but government HAS to be on social media now. If not, there is no other voice except the others talking on social media and that's not good either.
Yea I get that, but I also think that Government can and should utilize other outlets a primary message centers, and use social media as repeaters or noise amplifiers. Social media shouldn't be used to announce policies that haven't been announced via a press conference first. I would argue a press conference that allow questions first.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I get more people knowing about an upcoming comp plan workshop from Facebook than I do an ad in the local newspaper - we have to take the bad with the good

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Yes, I get more people knowing about an upcoming comp plan workshop from Facebook than I do an ad in the local newspaper - we have to take the bad with the good
I guess I am on the Federal and State level with those thoughts. Locally, social media has been a great tool to get people to understand. Having people actually interact in a positive way has been more challenging, but overall I agree it is a net positive locally.

I don't think it brings much value nationally or even state-wide. Those agencies are large enough and the policies important enough, that they should have specific events for their discussion. We shouldn't be hearing about these things via social media first.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Why don't we have a statue of Union Major General Gordon Granger ?

Original ‘Juneteenth’ order found in the National Archives
The handwritten document informed the enslaved in Texas they were free on June 19, 1865

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
For those of us that are fans of grid street patterns, the Stuff You Should Know podcast has a pretty good overview of the layout and history of the street grid in Manhattan.

It's yesterday's podcast and doesn't look like it's on their website yet but it is available if you listen through whatever podcast app you use.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Whoa.... how is the old retirement going? Seems like the world is maybe a bit different now... ;)
Talk about timing. This morning on my way to work, I pondered if I will have a desire to get up and drive around during rush hour at 10 to 15 miles an hour below the posted speed limit after I retire. I ask this because I came across 5 such individuals during my 60 mile commute. If course each time I ended up in the lane behind them and manipulate my truck to make Earnhardt like moves to get into a lane that was moving at an acceptable pace.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I'm in the office this morning. I thought I would enjoy not being at home for a little bit. However, I am struggling to stay focused.

I think I'll just go back home. I will probably be more productive . . .

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
In other words, you're the summer fling dream date.

Years ago I realized that I needed a full year in order to tell if someone was, um, qualified. Call it a probationary period. How does he cope with holidays? Weather? Daylight? (yep, those can be issues)
Absolutely. Also our brains are different the first few months we're seeing someone, so it's important to get past the honeymoon phase and see what they're really like as a person. Everyone's on their best behavior at the beginning.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
Yes, and should monitor the local FB groups, since that's where you'll find the unofficial reviews of the meeting and all the things people didn't want to get up and say in public.

Planit

Cyburbian
Our engineer waited until 2:00 to have a walk through inspection on a our downtown project. I asked him if next time we could do this during the hottest part of the day.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
did the font change in here?
The spacing between lines increased slightly from 1.4 to 1.5 pt. It makes lines of text a bit easier on the eyes, and easier to read for those who fill their entire screen window with the browser.

I reduced the size of the largest default fonts in the default template a little but..

Large font size: 17 to 16 pt
Larger font size: 20 to 18 pt
Largest font size: 24 t0 22 pt

Body font stack is still the same: Segoe UI, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, Fira Sans, Droid Sans, sans-serif

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
My go-to drawing is of a tree with flowers under it. Like if someone says can you draw something... I say, yes! And I draw the same-ish tree with the ground and flowers.

Do you have a go-to drawing? I feel like I should practice a house or a car, or something more interesting.

I also don't get to doodle nearly as much as I once did. I should start doodling again.

Planit

Cyburbian
I don't really have a 'go to' drawing or sketch. Funny thing is I like to draw/sketch but I only do it when I get an idea for a project or such. Otherwise I'm not inspired to just make something up to draw.

I've done a few things in SketchUp and FormIt, but again these were project related and not just an imaginary building or scene. Just don't stay with it (or really care) if there's no sense of reality.

An LA once told me he was the same way, just never did like sketch for 'fun'

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Yes, and should monitor the local FB groups, since that's where you'll find the unofficial reviews of the meeting and all the things people didn't want to get up and say in public.
I find most of what people say on the FB groups to be even less-informed and more racist and discriminatory than what they say in public meetings- still good to monitor them, just so you know what's being said, just limit exposure to limit staff frustration!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Can we get the 326 posts to achieve 800,000 total posts by July 4th ?