• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Here is a zoning district name you should not use but is funny -

Residential Urban DEnsity

Planit

Cyburbian
I have some fun with realtors when they call & ask "what's the zoning" or equally simple questions.

I'll start with: "Well lets look at the GIS system. If you have access to the internet, you can look it up with me" and go from there depending on the responses I get.

Otis

Cyburbian
Whoa.... how is the old retirement going? Seems like the world is maybe a bit different now... ;)
It is a bit different. Retirement is going well. We got a lot of travel in last year, but obviously had to cancel this year's trip to Africa. We are able to stay connected with friends and have generally adjusted to the way things are right now.

Otis

Cyburbian
Talk about timing. This morning on my way to work, I pondered if I will have a desire to get up and drive around during rush hour at 10 to 15 miles an hour below the posted speed limit after I retire. I ask this because I came across 5 such individuals during my 60 mile commute. If course each time I ended up in the lane behind them and manipulate my truck to make Earnhardt like moves to get into a lane that was moving at an acceptable pace.
Sh!t! I'm doing it wrong! Yesterday I was doing 75-80 in a 55 zone on a two-lane road. Time to ease off, I guess. I hope I remember to do that. But at my age, you know ....

Planit

Cyburbian
I learned today that owls sleep on the stomachs. Some of the pictures look astonishing, like the owl faceplanted like it was passed out drunk.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
I find most of what people say on the FB groups to be even less-informed and more racist and discriminatory than what they say in public meetings- still good to monitor them, just so you know what's being said, just limit exposure to limit staff frustration!
I didn't say it wouldn't be bigoted. lol. I know in mine the people who don't go to meetings share their opinions online, some of them are even valid.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
"Well lets look at the GIS system. If you have access to the internet, you can look it up with me" and go from there depending on the responses I get.
I'm not in planning, but I work with a system that you could say is comparable. When someone (who should know how to find the answer) asks me a question, I don't give it to them right away; instead I tell them, "let me share my screen with you" and then I show them how to look up the information. After a few times they stop calling, which is the point.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I got a mole removed last week when I went to the Dermatologist. He had concerns and just cut it out for biopsy. I then went out into the world and had a pretty nice father's day in the sun. This week has been rough as I have a sunburn on my healing wound. That is a first for me.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I got a mole removed last week when I went to the Dermatologist. He had concerns and just cut it out for biopsy. I then went out into the world and had a pretty nice father's day in the sun. This week has been rough as I have a sunburn on my healing wound. That is a first for me.
It may just be me, but I think someone is missing the point here.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
It may just be me, but I think someone is missing the point here.
Yea, I get that. But I am a moley gentleman. I get checked out bi-annually. This was pretty standard and when (and I mean when) I get some sort of skin cancer, it will be due to my other skin issues, not likely the sun. I rarely am in the sun, which is likely why I got so fried. I also wore SPF 50 sunscreen and still got burnt.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I'm not in planning, but I work with a system that you could say is comparable. When someone (who should know how to find the answer) asks me a question, I don't give it to them right away; instead I tell them, "let me share my screen with you" and then I show them how to look up the information. After a few times they stop calling, which is the point.
What software do you use to share a screen? Is this just inside your network's fire wall or can you extend it beyond? This could be helpful.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I am listening to a podcast and they are sponsored by some sort of techy company that offers "hyper converged infrastructure solutions." WTF does that even mean? :thinking:

Whenever I heard some sort of jargony nonsense like that, I am always reminded of the Simpsons episode where Homer starts a "tech company" called Compu Global Hyper Mega Net.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Both Zoom and Skype allow screen sharing.
I just think of video calling/confrencing when it comes to zoom and skype. I know you can you use zoom without sharing a video cam stream; so I should have thought about that.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I am listening to a podcast and they are sponsored by some sort of techy company that offers "hyper converged infrastructure solutions." WTF does that even mean? :thinking:

Whenever I heard some sort of jargony nonsense like that, I am always reminded of the Simpsons episode where Homer starts a "tech company" called Compu Global Hyper Mega Net.
Hyperconverged infrastructure (or HCI) is a software-defined, unified system that combines all the elements of a traditional data center: storage, compute, networking, and management. This integrated solution uses software and x86 servers to replace expensive, purpose built hardware. It combines common datacenter hardware using locally attached storage resources with intelligent software to create flexible building blocks that replace legacy infrastructure consisting of separate servers, storage networks, and storage arrays. Benefits generally include lower TCO (hell yeah), increased performance (obviously), and greater productivity within IT teams (and boom goes the dynamite!).

Come on, who doesn't know that?!

Planit

Cyburbian
Hyperconverged infrastructure (or HCI) is a software-defined, unified system that combines all the elements of a traditional data center: storage, compute, networking, and management. This integrated solution uses software and x86 servers to replace expensive, purpose built hardware. It combines common datacenter hardware using locally attached storage resources with intelligent software to create flexible building blocks that replace legacy infrastructure consisting of separate servers, storage networks, and storage arrays. Benefits generally include lower TCO (hell yeah), increased performance (obviously), and greater productivity within IT teams (and boom goes the dynamite!).

Come on, who doesn't know that?!

In other words, it does cool shit.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Enjoy these US maps.

Several of these are very interesting. One that caught my attention was the 1984 Election winner by county map. The interesting element of this is that it was the largest defeat in a modern presidential election with Reagan getting all but 13 of the electoral college votes. However, he was only able to capture 58.8% of the total votes with Mondale getting 40.6%. When you look at the map, it is evident that Mondale had overwhelming support in some locations, and almost won in many other areas. It just was not enough to carry those locations.

I am going to be interested to see what happens in November as I think you will see a very clear dichotomy of urban vs rural.

On a map related note, it would be interesting to know what foods, things, or cultures are truly unique to different areas of the US. For example, there is a sandwich called a Cudighi that originated in Northern Italy. However, you are more likely to find it on a menu in Marquette County Michigan, than in any other part of the US. It would be somewhat similar to the Pasty, but that can be found in quite a few areas.

Another I would like to see is the geographic regions of BBQ styles.

Otis

Cyburbian
How was Europe?
Europe was wonderful. We took a month in Italy, went up to Amsterdam to see the tulips, and a few days in Germany to see some friends. We're going to go back to Italy in . . . oh, wait. Never mind.

DVD

Cyburbian
Okay, I set up the zoom laefest for Friday 6 pm Pacific time which happens to coincide with stupid Arizona time. The big problem, My limited zoom account only allows 40 minutes for group meetings. If anyone has a better zoom account feel free to hijack the meeting. I'm looking at you arcplans, but you might be hanging with better people right now.

DVD is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Zoom Laefest
Time: Jun 26, 2020 06:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 732 4552 8034
Password: Macys

Doohickie

Cyburbian
There's a guy I know who describes himself as a "Christian, Caucasian, Conservative male American." He's been talking a lot about various news sources (posted an "article" from OAN and asked what people thought about it.... I and a few others pointed out that OAN was a far right site with a reputation for publishing falsehoods). This has been going on for several months. Today he posted a link to 13th, the Netflix film about how convict leasing and the prison industrial complex arose out of the Jim Crow era. I wish more people were like him and honestly examined the data they take in.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
There's a guy I know who describes himself as a "Christian, Caucasian, Conservative male American." He's been talking a lot about various news sources (posted an "article" from OAN and asked what people thought about it.... I and a few others pointed out that OAN was a far right site with a reputation for publishing falsehoods). This has been going on for several months. Today he posted a link to 13th, the Netflix film about how convict leasing and the prison industrial complex arose out of the Jim Crow era. I wish more people were like him and honestly examined the data they take in.
A lot of my hs friends, and not to judge the value of a HS diploma, but when presented with facts, always turn the other way. When presented with a viewpoint different then mine, depending on the source, I will read it, and validate some items made, because its a reasoned argument.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Okay, I set up the zoom laefest for Friday 6 pm Pacific time which happens to coincide with stupid Arizona time. The big problem, My limited zoom account only allows 40 minutes for group meetings. If anyone has a better zoom account feel free to hijack the meeting. I'm looking at you arcplans, but you might be hanging with better people right now.

We are having dinner with the in-laws otherwise I'd be there!

For those that don't follow me on FB / IG.. i proposed to my GF of 4 years.. she said yes.
Congratulations!!!

michaelskis

Cyburbian

Topic: Zoom Laefest
Time: Jun 26, 2020 06:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 732 4552 8034
Password: Macys
I might need to be in attendance for this...