• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

Salmissra

Cyburbian
DVD is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Zoom Laefest
Time: Jun 26, 2020 06:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 732 4552 8034
Password: Macys
I want to be there, but might be late arriving.

DVD

Cyburbian
I think I found a better way to do this Laefest thing. Zoom is evil and has time limits if I don't pay them my first born every month. It looks like Skype will let me have an open meeting window for however long I want. So in order to do the best timing for east and west coast I'm thinking I might just go open a Skype meeting in about 30 minutes (that should be 5pm eastern) and I'll close it when I feel like it so everyone can hang and chat all they want. Worst thing, I might have to walk away to look at emails.

DVD

Cyburbian
I've got the Skype thing set up so people should be able to drop in or out anytime. If you see an empty room with a great looking secretary desk in the background that means I went to get another drink or check my emails on my work computer.

Here's the link to join! Stop by and say hello.

I'm inviting you to meet on Skype. Click here to join the meeting https://join.skype.com/HepbFwVmvT2E.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot - I can't, I'll be driving home - or maybe I'll be the obnoxious one that does just that - calls in from the car...

DVD

Cyburbian
That's why I'll just keep this thing open as long as I can. No lame excuses like driving.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Sorry no mic or camera on either work or home computer & no smart phone app either.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I've got the Skype thing set up so people should be able to drop in or out anytime. If you see an empty room with a great looking secretary desk in the background that means I went to get another drink or check my emails on my work computer.

Here's the link to join! Stop by and say hello.

I'm inviting you to meet on Skype. Click here to join the meeting https://join.skype.com/HepbFwVmvT2E.
OMG it works! DVD and me are in there now!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Sorry no mic or camera on either work or home computer & no smart phone app either.
I bought a webcam for my interview this week... maybe I can sell it too you once I make sure I don't need it anymore.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Hyperconverged infrastructure (or HCI) is a software-defined, unified system that combines all the elements of a traditional data center: storage, compute, networking, and management.
It can also aggregate content marketing and demonstrate high level performance in horizontal management structure, monetize narrative and demonstrate turnkey performance, and focused on new ways to synthesize the consumer space through robust end-to-end deployment solutions. And, like, synergy or something.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I tried to join, but Skype isn’t playing nicely tonight for me, so have fun without me. o_O

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm taking a break to hang with the wife. The window is still open for anyone who wants to hang out.

DVD

Cyburbian
If you make it it you might just get an open window to my office. I'm taking a break. I'll come back in about 30 minutes

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I had to work (from home) through to about 5:00, so unfortunately I couldn't join. :( Next time?

I'm also a little bit embarrassed, because about 10-12 weeks ago I got my first major bout of alopecia aerota in over 10 years. In March, my hair looked like the picture in my avatar. Today, I look like a middle aged dude with a big bald batch in front and on top, and a few bald stripes across the sides of my head. I look in the mirror, and the face I see isn't mine.

DVD

Cyburbian
By order of the wife I have to go do family stuff. We'll figure out a better time and way to do this next time.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
So, I'm just looking at old maps of east suburban Cleveland, just because.

Turns out my house was in the Curtiss Ambler Realty Co. 75-9 Subdivision. It was later replatted before it was development started but ... yeah, that Ambler.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You live in Cleveland?
I should have said "my old house" when I lived there. The one I bought, and then get saddled down with after I got laid off and the Great Recession said "Hey, eastern Cuyahoga County, I really like you!: I think I'm going to give you free refills of suck."

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
It is humid in here today, is something I have been saying a lot. It makes me feel older than I should feel.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Got an algae issue with the pool. Dumped $52.00 worth of chemicals into it from the pool store with marginal results. Then got one $7.00 bottle from Menards and it cleared right up.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Nothing since yesterday at 2:35PM? I'm just not sure why that would be.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got an algae issue with the pool. Dumped $52.00 worth of chemicals into it from the pool store with marginal results. Then got one $7.00 bottle from Menards and it cleared right up.
Chlorox?

nothing random to report here - it's raining, that's all I got

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
24 posts to go in reaching 800K posts total for Cyburbia.

We can do it this morning can't we.

DVD

Cyburbian
Nothing random to report in the Southwest. The cacti are growing, the lizards are lizarding. All is well.

Planit

Cyburbian
I'm hoping for a nice relaxing Friday & Saturday - however I know frustration will be making an appearance at some point. Such is life right now I reckon.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How is this for starting off my birthday - in the morning I going in for a contrasting CT scan.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well, the lady and I are pretty much over. She made some shitty comment to me Friday night that pissed me off, to which I made shitty comments back, and it became a whole big thing. I can work through it, evidently she cannot.

At the end of the day, the red flags and potential cons of this relationship far outweighed the pros. We were moving WAY too fast (or at least she was), and I just couldn't map out our future together. She has no serious career goals. Every job she's had has been some sort of temporary hourly thing, nothing to build a long term stable career off of. I saw the road I was heading down, one of being the only major financial contributor of the family, which I simply cannot do. She wants to open some sort of deli and butcher shop, but has no experience in any of that. She's basically been living at my house for the last 3 weeks. The invite wasn't ever stated completely, but it was implied. I think that was also incredibly pre-mature.

All said and done, I'm upset, but I know why it ended, and I don't really have any hangups over it. Is what it is. Sometimes I think maybe I'm just better off alone anyway.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Well, the lady and I are pretty much over. She made some shitty comment to me Friday night that pissed me off, to which I made shitty comments back, and it became a whole big thing. I can work through it, evidently she cannot.

At the end of the day, the red flags and potential cons of this relationship far outweighed the pros. We were moving WAY too fast (or at least she was), and I just couldn't map out our future together. She has no serious career goals. Every job she's had has been some sort of temporary hourly thing, nothing to build a long term stable career off of. I saw the road I was heading down, one of being the only major financial contributor of the family, which I simply cannot do. She wants to open some sort of deli and butcher shop, but has no experience in any of that. She's basically been living at my house for the last 3 weeks. The invite wasn't ever stated completely, but it was implied. I think that was also incredibly pre-mature.

All said and done, I'm upset, but I know why it ended, and I don't really have any hangups over it. Is what it is. Sometimes I think maybe I'm just better off alone anyway.
Sorry to hear that AG. It is clearly for the better. Trust me, when you find the right person, you will be happy to not be alone. She wasn't it. This sea we are all floating around in has lots of fish. Just keep your head up.

Bubba

Cyburbian

Okay, fine, I formally withdraw my suggestion that you go ahead and marry this woman.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member

Oh man, I am sorry but I am glad that this happened early on in the relationship and not later - we love you in here :daydream::hug::love::ninja::brokenheart::tb::cheers::cb:

AG74683

Cyburbian
Okay, fine, I formally withdraw my suggestion that you go ahead and marry this woman.
Truthfully thought she was the one. But guess it's not meant to be. I still feel like we can work through it, but if she doesn't, I can't really do anything about that. Frankly, it shows some immaturity on her part anyway. Things happen in relationships, if you can't forgive and forget, then maybe you're not right for one. It wasn't like I cheated on her.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
She has no serious career goals. Every job she's had has been some sort of temporary hourly thing, nothing to build a long term stable career off of. I saw the road I was heading down, one of being the only major financial contributor of the family, which I simply cannot do.
This is a main factor of what my first marriage ended. Granted, she eventually graduated college and has a good job now, but the damage was done in the beginning of our relationship. True story, she re-married, and now is the primary bread winner, pregnant, and stressed out, and hubby has been laid off for months now. She blamed me for being to "stressed" when she was pregnant with our son because I was worrying too much about finding a new job, etc and she didn't work. Karma.

I am sorry,you made the right decision.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Truthfully thought she was the one. But guess it's not meant to be. I still feel like we can work through it, but if she doesn't, I can't really do anything about that. Frankly, it shows some immaturity on her part anyway. Things happen in relationships, if you can't forgive and forget, then maybe you're not right for one. It wasn't like I cheated on her.
As someone that got married fairly late in life (at 38), I'll just say that I tried really hard to force things to work with a large variety of men. But now that I'm married to CCG, there's really nothing to force. Not that everything is perfect all the time or that it isn't work. But whenever we have any issues we have to work out, it's within the context of still both working towards a shared goal. The big things are in place, so when it comes to the small things, we have a framework to resolve anything else that comes up.

I was actually completely at peace with being unmarried when I met CCG. In fact, early on when I met him, I told him I wasn't interested in a relationship (not specifically with him, I just wasn't looking). But I enjoyed being with him and we started hanging out, and it just didn't make sense not to make it a permanent thing.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well initially, things seemed to go just great. One night, say 3 weeks to a month ago, she got to acting really funny. Turns out that she was flat out considering just leaving and never talking to me again because she was so worried that something bad would happen and she wanted to avoid it all. I thought I was over that, but it has been a worrying thought in the back of my head since then. How do I know she's just not going to pack up and leave one night without saying a word?

She has removed our relationship from her Facebook, so I suppose that's that!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Sad to hear about Carl Reiner - but you live to 98, you won, in my opinion.

++
I think my veterinarian is trying to make up for lost revenue during the shut down. Holey crikey, Mikey!

Planit

Cyburbian
I think my veterinarian is trying to make up for lost revenue during the shut down. Holey crikey, Mikey!

Mine might be doing the same. Our doggie is due for his rabies vaccination and when I made the appointment they asked if I'd like to have COVID19 test, dental cleaning, semi-annual examination, fecal matter analysis and about 5 other procedures including a bath. It was like they ran down the entire checklist.

No thanks, just the required vaccination please.