• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
As someone that got married fairly late in life (at 38), I'll just say that I tried really hard to force things to work with a large variety of men. But now that I'm married to CCG, there's really nothing to force. Not that everything is perfect all the time or that it isn't work. But whenever we have any issues we have to work out, it's within the context of still both working towards a shared goal. The big things are in place, so when it comes to the small things, we have a framework to resolve anything else that comes up.

I was actually completely at peace with being unmarried when I met CCG. In fact, early on when I met him, I told him I wasn't interested in a relationship (not specifically with him, I just wasn't looking). But I enjoyed being with him and we started hanging out, and it just didn't make sense not to make it a permanent thing.
This is like the definition of a healthy relationship. So long as two parties are fully committed to working out the big stuff together the smaller stuff really just falls into place.

DVD

Cyburbian
Sorry to hear you lost another one AG, but at least you'll have some great fishing stories and more experience for the next one you reel in. I have to agree with Peach, both sides need to figure out if this is something big enough to leave the relationship over. If not, then work it out. In your case, she decided.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
But whenever we have any issues we have to work out, it's within the context of still both working towards a shared goal. The big things are in place, so when it comes to the small things, we have a framework to resolve anything else that comes up.
This is my fiance and I. We have spats. We get mad, but we work through it. We have common goals in life, and we can talk through anything. Also that we have had so many commonalities growing up and family wise it just.. just clicks.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's about 90 degrees here and there is a landscaping crew putting in lighting and a new porch at the house across the street. Most of the guys working out there are out there wearing long pants, heavy sweatshirts, hoods up, a couple are wearing jackets.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Okay, so new update, she is going to try and work through it. We shall see. She seems to be all over the place with it.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Well initially, things seemed to go just great. One night, say 3 weeks to a month ago, she got to acting really funny. Turns out that she was flat out considering just leaving and never talking to me again because she was so worried that something bad would happen and she wanted to avoid it all. I thought I was over that, but it has been a worrying thought in the back of my head since then. How do I know she's just not going to pack up and leave one night without saying a word?

She has removed our relationship from her Facebook, so I suppose that's that!
Having gone through this a year ago, and actually getting engaged, it's tough. Not being secure in the relationship is a big thing. You can't live under a cloud thinking things might end. Granted, there is a certain amount of self-fulling prophesy in that, but still, there is an insecurity that is hard to over come. Hang in there.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Okay, so new update, she is going to try and work through it. We shall see. She seems to be all over the place with it.
Danger Will Robinson, danger. Having gone through an on again, off again, on again off again relationship, it's hard on the heart. Plus, y'all are laying the foundation for your relationship. The house is just being started and there are cracks in the foundation.

kms

Cyburbian
Sorry to hear you lost another one AG, but at least you'll have some great fishing stories and more experience for the next one you reel in. I have to agree with Peach, both sides need to figure out if this is something big enough to leave the relationship over. If not, then work it out. In your case, she decided.
Really, only 1 person decides if it’s worth leaving, and sadly, she has. As much as it hurts, it’s probably for the best. There’s nothing worse than the silent treatment from someone who can’t resolve problems and disagreements.

He’s on the path toward Ms. Right. Each failed relationship weeds out the behaviors he won’t tolerate.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
This is my fiance and I. We have spats. We get mad, but we work through it. We have common goals in life, and we can talk through anything. Also that we have had so many commonalities growing up and family wise it just.. just clicks.
35 years in... if we get mad, I eventually say, "Sorry, dear" and we move forward. For most things if she really wants to win, I let her.

For 30 of those years I got aggravated that she just left dishes in the sink. She'd rinse them, fill them up, and just leave them. Now I just either load them in the dishwasher, or if it's recycling stuff like yogurt cups, I rinse them out and put them in the bin. I decided that it made be feel better to think of it as doing it a favor for my love, than to argue about chores.

If the makeup sex isn't the BEST,
AG,
Please make sure that she does not accidentally become pregnant right now.

You and I don't know each other too well, and you might think that I'm getting sort of personal, but I am old and have seen it all.
Some women have the darnedest way of becoming pregnant during times like these!

Veloise

Cyburbian
Keep her at arms length. No more playing house. You've done this before, and it went nowhere.

You should learn to head off this pattern before it begins.
What's in it for you?

You'd get to be a stepdad, pay for their trips to Pennsylvania. Does she work? Wants to go (back) to college? Who will cover that cost?

Seriously, this has more red flags :china: :tn: :fire:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
AG,

You and I don't know each other too well, and you might think that I'm getting sort of personal, but I am old and have seen it all.
I hate to say it, but she's right. Seen it happen before.

Reactions: DVD

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
All Minor League Baseball this season is cancelled. :cry: :cursing:
Which is odd, as they seem to be okay putting everyone that goes to major league games at risk...

The inconsistency with all the opening / closings is what is really annoying. If it is unsafe for minor league games, why would it be safe for major league games? Or the other way around, if it is safe for major league games, it probably is fine for minor league games as well.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Which is odd, as they seem to be okay putting everyone that goes to major league games at risk...

The inconsistency with all the opening / closings is what is really annoying. If it is unsafe for minor league games, why would it be safe for major league games? Or the other way around, if it is safe for major league games, it probably is fine for minor league games as well.
Simple answer: Television contracts

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Masking up to enter the liquor store isn't something I ever thought I would do prior to this year. On the same note, I wonder if being able to wear mask to the liquor stores has reduced the average travel distance for consumers here in the bible belt.

• Haha
Reactions: kms

Bubba

Cyburbian
Masking up to enter the liquor store isn't something I ever thought I would do prior to this year. On the same note, I wonder if being able to wear mask to the liquor stores has reduced the average travel distance for consumers here in the bible belt.
Old joke: What's the difference between Baptists and Methodists? Methodists will acknowledge each other in a liquor store.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I hate to say it, but she's right. Seen it happen before.
I's echo this as well, especially since she's at loose ends anyway. Once you have a child, it's for life. I'll be a dad until I die. It's worth it, but it's a big responsibility. You're also the sort of man who would do the right thing for the child.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Old joke: What's the difference between Baptists and Methodists? Methodists will acknowledge each other in a liquor store.
This reminds me of the great comparison jokes that Garrison Keillor used to make about Lutherans, Episcopalians and Catholics

I know we need to be in a more PC world right now, and for good reason, but if you read the room correctly, those jokes were hilarious (and I'm Catholic, wayward right now, but I might be back)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This reminds me of the great comparison jokes that Garrison Keillor used to make about Lutherans, Episcopalians and Catholics

I know we need to be in a more PC world right now, and for good reason, but if you read the room correctly, those jokes were hilarious (and I'm Catholic, wayward right now, but I might be back)
Robin Williams also had some good ones comparing Episcopalians to Catholics. Maybe I always appreciated his because he and I are both Episcopalians and he was often subtly digging at the Catholics.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

article from 1987
KEILLOR SERIOUS ABOUT RELIGION

Old Planner

AG,

I agree. I am a woman and have seen this "happen" so many times. From what you have said, she does not seem all that compatible.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I started a 6-week bootcamp thing on Monday to lose the "quarrantine 15" and my thighs are so sore right now! Stairs are currently my nemesis. :roflmao:

Reactions: kms

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I need this car in my life...

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Did they tell you why not?
No. In the company system (The Candidate Portal) it simply says "No longer being considered for the position."

I spoke with my current boss (they get notified when an underling gets an interview in another department), and he said that he's going to try to get me "promoted in place" to the level I was interviewing for, but continuing in essentially the same position I hold now. (It's not too much of a stretch to say my position is the higher level based on other people doing similar work.) It might take a few months for him to run the traps though- at my company, once you get past the entry levels, it's harder to get promoted in place than it is to get promoted by taking another job within the company. If he can pull that off I think that would be a better deal for me. At this point I really do enjoy the work I do and given the choice I'd rather not move to a new area. People know me and generally respect me in my current position. It's kind of an oddball position but I think it's generally considered a hard one to fill. And after a rough couple of years my workload is finally becoming manageable again.

My current manager is a director level, and this is at a large corporation. I've worked "for" him for over 10 years, but he wasn't my official, direct supervisor until last year (the joys of matrix management). I enjoy working for him though so if I can get promoted in the next several months that's probably a better outcome for me.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
While trying to think of "Design Fitting the Occupant" buildings, the old Fort Worth Civil Courts Building came to mind. It doesn't really fit that thread though. It was just ugly.

In fact it was so ugly they decided after 30 years that they needed to disguise it to make it look like the 1985 court building next door:

Yes, that's a synthetic stucco facade painted to make it look like it was built out of the same pink granite as the 1895 County Courthouse. The panels are flat but painted with fake relief, shadows, etc., to look like stone. The only exterior features that were retained were the 4-story tall limestone angels (wings visible above the tree in the center of the picture).

But even that couldn't redeem the building. When a full restoration was done on the 1895 Courthouse another 30 years later, they demolished the Civil Courts Building to restore the west lawn of the Courthouse. So the city was finally done with that Civil Courts Building once and for all.

Well, almost. A new Civil Courts Building was built a few blocks away; they preserved the angels and used them in the facade of the new building.

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I like Kevin Bacon, but I hate footloose...

Summer is a good season. Just don't steal my honey, like you stole my bike.