• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

DVD

Cyburbian
I hate arguing landscape policy with our landscape architect. They go over the top and just point to some checklist policy we have. When I get a line that says perimeter fences are not permitted in hillside zones as a policy there better be a damn code backing that one up. Plus I need a definition of perimeter. I would call it the edge of the property they are calling it the edge of the setbacks. :mad:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Hint - it will never be reinstalled.
Reminds me of a Nextdoor thread where people are talking about replacement of utility poles in an older neighborhood. The process is:
  • Contractor for Oncor drills a hole.
  • A minimum of 2 months pass.
  • A different contractor for Oncor plants a pole in the ground.
  • A minimum of 3 months pass.
  • A different, different contractor for Oncor transfers the power lines from the old pole to the new pole.
  • The dirt dug up in the original hole drilling remains forever.
  • Whether the other utilities on the original pole are ever moved over remains to be seen (3 months so far....)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reminds me of a Nextdoor thread where people are talking about replacement of utility poles in an older neighborhood. The process is:
  • Contractor for Oncor drills a hole.
  • A minimum of 2 months pass.
  • A different contractor for Oncor plants a pole in the ground.
  • A minimum of 3 months pass.
  • A different, different contractor for Oncor transfers the power lines from the old pole to the new pole.
  • The dirt dug up in the original hole drilling remains forever.
  • Whether the other utilities on the original pole are ever moved over remains to be seen (3 months so far....)
One of the affordable housing projects I funded had a final CO delayed for 4 months because of the electric company. Why you ask? They dropped a new pole in the middle of the framed out (concrete hadn't been poured) driveway apron for the 8 car parking lot. How did it end up in the middled of the driveway apron? Nobody knows because the mark out crew spray painted the circle-x 6 feet away on the framed up sidewalk square that it was supposed to go into. The GC happened to be driving by as they were finishing up placing the pole and asked WTF they were doing and they left, GC called the field supervisor who came out and was like WTF, and PSEG took 4 months to move the pole where it was supposed to go.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Taylor Swift's new album is ho-hum.... sorry. I wanted to like it, but it is just really boring. I do enjoy that she is moving towards complete storyteller, but we need a hook that at least gets my mind away from sleep.

It all kind of sounds the same as well, which I think is likely due to the creation of the songs in quarantine. With that said, hopefully someone will take her lyrics (which are fairly good), and make them into a better song. What is Panic at the Disco doing? Mumford and Sons? Avett Brothers? Let's add some banjos, steel guitars, and life to the lyrics!

AG74683

Cyburbian
Further validation for getting out of this crap. One of my most despised community members calls me all mad about a major subdivision across from her house. It's a major division, but it's only 10 lots, nothing huge. No new roads, no new utilities. Simple. She mad because she's called for years about what's going on with that property and never got an answer. I didn't have this application until freaking MAY, and she hasn't called in maybe 2 years for me at least. Turns out, she had already called the Clerk upstairs hopping mad asking for me, but never actually called me until a few minutes ago.

Years ago we actually used tax payer dollars to pay the family next door to her to move their stillborn baby they buried in the backyard to an actual cemetery just because she raised so much shit about it.

Bubba

Cyburbian
^^^Those were big shoes to fill from the first manager.
I miss Tata. :(

The front office is next on the chopping block if the new (yet to be named) manager can't turn things around - a lot of their off-season moves were absolutely baffling. They really didn't do de Boer any favors.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Gonna have some fun, show you how it's done, TGIM.

Hmm maybe that isn't how it goes....

Big Owl

Cyburbian
While planing a hiking trip to visit 3 waterfalls in DuPont State Recreation Forest, I discovered that TLC's "Don't go chasing waterfalls" is 26 years old and neither of my girls have heard the song.
Well, the hiking trip didn't go as planned but it worked out. My oldest daughter canceled on us last minute and Dupont State Recreation Forest was extremely popular and has limited parking; so we called an audible and went to Raven Cliff Falls in SC at the advise of some random guy at a convenience store. It was a longer hike and more strenuous then the trail we original planned to hike. According to one website, its the tallest waterfall in the nc/sc mountains at 420 feet; however the NC website says it can not be any taller than 350' according the the USGS maps. Either way, it was cool to see.

raven_cliff_sc10.jpg

Also, I can say that 50% of my offspring is familar with TLC's "Don't go chasing waterfalls".

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Taylor Swift's new album is ho-hum.... sorry. I wanted to like it, but it is just really boring. I do enjoy that she is moving towards complete storyteller, but we need a hook that at least gets my mind away from sleep.

It all kind of sounds the same as well, which I think is likely due to the creation of the songs in quarantine. With that said, hopefully someone will take her lyrics (which are fairly good), and make them into a better song. What is Panic at the Disco doing? Mumford and Sons? Avett Brothers? Let's add some banjos, steel guitars, and life to the lyrics!
Definitely kind of meh and falls flat. August is probably the best track.

Avett Brothers is releasing an EP at the end on August.

DVD

Cyburbian
I hate doing the projects where you're trying to implement new plans like a trail or pedestrian midblock where it has never existed before. People start arguing the director gets involved and we usually end up with less than what the plan shows. It the bad part of incremental planning.

AG74683

Cyburbian
So I learned today that the medic helicopters that load in from the back are the absolute worst. Not only are you in-between the rear of the helicopter and the tail blade (with your back to it no less), the exhaust is right there in your face. It's like a billion degrees, noisy, jet exhaust all over, and you're like crouched in this weird position because the back is a lot lower than you think. Oh, and to top it all off, you have to wear full turnout gear (correct PPE) and a mask. Fun times.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Now for something completely different -
Indianapolis crews help recover prosthetic leg from water
This reminds me of the time I was running along the riverfront in downtown Detroit and found somebody's prosthetic hand on the sidewalk.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
If you need a crappy plastic cup from a kid's drink from Macaroni Grill or some other random chain restaurant or a big plastic cup with the 1992 Michigan football schedule on it, then we've got you covered.

I don't think my wife has ever thrown out a plastic cup. This is not an endearing trait.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
So yesterday the fiance and I were watching some comedy central and we came across this ad. We thought it was fake at first.. nope.. completely real

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Trumpy Bear has been around for quite a while. Maybe even as early as 2017? I know I've been threatening to buy one for our daughters for a few years now.

So yesterday the fiance and I were watching some comedy central and we came across this ad. We thought it was fake at first.. nope.. completely real

michaelskis may have been the first Cyburbian to post about this on Feb 20, 2018.
He wrote:
Www.thetrumpybear.com

If you had any doubt in the decline of this nation, that website will eliminate that doubt.
https://www.cyburbia.org/forums/thr...-discussion-thread.40183/page-162#post-814340

Then JNA brought it up on April 27, 2019:

Both posts were on The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread.

Personally, I'm glad you brought it up again, arcplans. At this point, it's sort of comic relief compared to everything else that's happening. And for anybody who did not yet see the Jimmy Kimmel parody:

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
If you need a crappy plastic cup from a kid's drink from Macaroni Grill or some other random chain restaurant or a big plastic cup with the 1992 Michigan football schedule on it, then we've got you covered.

I don't think my wife has ever thrown out a plastic cup. This is not an endearing trait.
I have the opposite thing going on at my house -- not a plastic cup in sight. But if you're looking for some cool glass with a retro design on it, ranging anywhere from the 1930s to the 1970s, I've got it!!

Also mason jars of all sizes -- yup, I've got those too!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I bought a new desk! Since I'm going to be WFH until next year at the earliest, I decided to spend some of that commute and work clothes budgeted $$$ that's been accumulating since March, and get a more than functional workspace.

I already bought a new office chair. Actually - it was a present. So with the desk, I'll have real office furniture, rather than make-do pieces.

DVD

Cyburbian
My kids grew up so we're past the plastic cup phase. They've all gone away.

The worst part of the trumpy bear commercial is seeing grown ass men play with a teddy bear. There goes your man card. My kids saw the ad years ago and demanded that I never buy them that creepy looking bear. According to the youngest it is not cute at all (with stern looking face - nothing makes it sink in like a stern kid face.).

AG74683

Cyburbian
Me too, and I have a packed agenda with the Planning Board tonight. Probably won't be leaving here until 9.
Well it went predictably off the rails when we got to the subdivision part of the agenda. It became a long drawn out conversation about how poor that community is and this subdivision will attract the type of people who will make it worse. It was once a primarily African American neighborhood and now it's almost all Hispanic. What they were basically saying was that they don't want any more Mexicans in their neighborhood. Yet another reason why a subdivision request should never go to a public hearing.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I bought a new desk! Since I'm going to be WFH until next year at the earliest, I decided to spend some of that commute and work clothes budgeted $$$ that's been accumulating since March, and get a more than functional workspace.

I already bought a new office chair. Actually - it was a present. So with the desk, I'll have real office furniture, rather than make-do pieces.
Whaddya get?

I'm especially interested in the office chair.

It looks like I'll be working from home a few days a week for the foreseeable future and my oldest will be doing school from home 2 or 3 days a week. She has a proper desk in her room but I've been working from the kitchen counter. In the next few weeks I'm going to clean out and rearrange the den and buy another desk and an office chair for in there. It's a small room so I want to find a comfortable office chair but with a low back.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
^ That chair looks exactly like the size I want to get. I may have to give that one a closer look once I get going on this project. Next week one day my wife is planning to take both kids to the beach for a day. I think that will be when I get a chance to work on taking down some shelves and cleaning stuff up and getting through "Phase I" of the re-decorating.

If she dutifully remains in her place she doesn't have 2 bucks to buy "her man" one of those fugly ties for Christmas.
True. She has a lot more than 2 bucks.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Wow. Just wow. Although my first takeaway is who in the hell is under the covers with a shirt and tie on and eating breakfast!?
RPGs were not invented on the internet.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
There has been one fly in the house for the past three days. He just will not stop long enough in any one spot for me to kill him or shoo him out a window or door. He's really getting on my nerves.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
My desk arrived today! I can't pick up the box by myself, so it's still on the porch, but it's here!

I guess we'll bring it in after Hubby gets home. Maybe we'll get it put together tonight, too!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Anyone else feel like this pandemic sh!t is never going to end?
I don't think it will end this year.

Yes, they are talking about vaccine trials starting and that there are 4? different versions out there. Great. But I want to see the results of tests and trials before declaring the pandemic over.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My desk arrived today! I can't pick up the box by myself, so it's still on the porch, but it's here!

I guess we'll bring it in after Hubby gets home. Maybe we'll get it put together tonight, too!
Just open it up on the porch and start bringing in pieces as you're putting it together. I've done that with large deliveries a couple times.

Reactions: kms