• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

AG74683

Cyburbian
There's nothing at all sketchy about a 4,000 square foot "storage" addition to a restaurant that isn't even half that size. I told them storage/warehousing is a CU in the commercial district, because there's absolutely no way to justify to anyone that the storage is just restaurant only. Now it's become storage on the bottom (eh, a little closer to reasonable, but still a lot) and a large banquet hall on top.

The kicker is, the banquet hall isn't accessible from the restaurant. It'll be two separate doors. Yeah, nothing sketchy here.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
AIB AG74683 above ^

There is this article -
How Discussions of 'Neighborhood Character' Reinforce Structural Racism
Copied from my reply to this on Facebook:

This is an interesting discussion, namely because I live in a neighborhood that recently worked with the City of Fort Worth to make the neighborhood exclusively single family, in order to keep the character of the neighborhood and preserve its history. Sounds familiar, eh? But here's the thing: One of my neighbors is from Belize. my neighbors across the street (two different houses) are black. As you go further north in the neighborhood, it becomes very much hispanic. There are businesses there that expect customers to speak Spanish. It's not a very expensive neighborhood; the homes which are generally 1000-2000 sq ft, go for in the neighborhood of $100-130 per sq ft, certainly affordable for many people. Many of the homes are rentals though; I would say there's a healthy mix of long time residents, renters (which in many cases are also long term), first time home buyers and people like us: downsizers.

So what was the real reason the neighborhood pushed for single family zoning? It was to keep undesirables from moving into multi-family rental units, of course, but who are the undesirables? In this case they are the students from nearby Texas Christian University, an expensive private school. The students are overwhelmingly white and affluent. The object of the rezoning was to keep the neighborhood from being overwhelmed with partying college kids.

A friend lives in the next neighborhood over. That neighborhood is in the TCU zoning overlay, which encourages multifamily development. He said when he moved in, the area was quiet, but in the last 10-15 years with the advent of what are called "stealth dorms" (4-plexes and 6-plexes built to house students), the area has become party central. I've been there on weekend nights and he's not lying. That's what my neighborhood was looking to prevent. We enjoy our single family, multi-ethnic, affordable neighborhood and we don't want it to be spoiled by TCU affluence.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
It's getting worse. Which is even more depressing to me.
Fort Worth crossed a threshold today, and a good one. A couple weeks about our transmission rate (Ro) was 1.22. Today it dipped to 0.99, which means for everyone 100 people with the virus, they transmit it to 99 others. Under 1.00 means the virus is decreasing in the community. This makes me happy.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So this morning I put my coffee in a different travel coffee mug. I feel like I don't even know myself.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My morning commute takes me past the local hs boys cross country team's workout route. I wonder if they coach running styles? Some of these guys have the most herky-jerky running form that just can't really be efficient. (I know that if it works, don't fix it. But this one kid is clearly tiring himself out with all this extraneous movement...)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My morning commute takes me past the local hs boys cross country team's workout route. I wonder if they coach running styles? Some of these guys have the most herky-jerky running form that just can't really be efficient. (I know that if it works, don't fix it. But this one kid is clearly tiring himself out with all this extraneous movement...)
Funny you should say this, I made this same observation a while ago during the annual local hs tournament across the street from my house. Several of the boys had .....idiosyncratic styles of running (a sort of flailing arm movement) that clearly increased their energy expenditure needs. Interestingly, none of the girls exhibited this and tended to run with more fluidity (but were seen walking much more frequently than their male counterparts).

AG74683

Cyburbian
One of the guys on the fire department was crushed by some large piece of machinery at work yesterday (he works at one of the lumber mills). He had to be flown out. I guess he's in very rough shape but still alive. The machine pinned him to the ground. He had compound fractures in both legs and some internal issues. He's in surgery this morning.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Hubby cracked a tooth a while back (early pandemic era). It's finally bothering him enough to go to the dentist. Fingers crossed that it doesn't turn into emergency dental surgery (which he has had before - no fun).

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Made my first construction site visit since March. I'm very excited about this project because it's a mixed income project in a desirable area which is super hard to convince people to do. A large multistate developer is doing the project so I am hoping that I can work on future projects with them. It's also the last parcel in the area that isn't developed and was a former concrete mixing plant making it incompatible with the residential use surrounding it.

Google street view of before site demo.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
There's nothing at all sketchy about a 4,000 square foot "storage" addition to a restaurant that isn't even half that size. I told them storage/warehousing is a CU in the commercial district, because there's absolutely no way to justify to anyone that the storage is just restaurant only. Now it's become storage on the bottom (eh, a little closer to reasonable, but still a lot) and a large banquet hall on top.

The kicker is, the banquet hall isn't accessible from the restaurant. It'll be two separate doors. Yeah, nothing sketchy here.
Keeping the entrances separate actually sounds like the wise thing to do as the banquet hall and restaurant may not have the same hours or people hosting a wedding reception or funeral wake might not want Joe Blow's dumb kids wandering in while their waiting for their table on the restaurant side of the house.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Keeping the entrances separate actually sounds like the wise thing to do as the banquet hall and restaurant may not have the same hours or people hosting a wedding reception or funeral wake might not want Joe Blow's dumb kids wandering in while their waiting for their table on the restaurant side of the house.
My thing is, there's no entrance to move food back and forth. To get food from the restaurant into the accessory use (banquet hall) they'd have to somehow move it all outside and up a giant ramp. This guy is notorious for going way beyond what he says he's doing and he has drawn a lot of eyes over the past 2 years. Neighbors are starting to complain. The state environmental folks are investigating him. He has tons of watershed issues that he's refusing to address. Every restaurant banquet hall I've ever seen has at least some direct connection to the restaurant to facilitate feeding these people.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My thing is, there's no entrance to move food back and forth. To get food from the restaurant into the accessory use (banquet hall) they'd have to somehow move it all outside and up a giant ramp. This guy is notorious for going way beyond what he says he's doing and he has drawn a lot of eyes over the past 2 years. Neighbors are starting to complain. The state environmental folks are investigating him. He has tons of watershed issues that he's refusing to address. Every restaurant banquet hall I've ever seen has at least some direct connection to the restaurant to facilitate feeding these people.
I assumed there would be a shared kitchen, so yes, that definitely sounds odd.

That said, we've actually got a restaurant here in our downtown that expanded a few years ago and now part of their kitchen is in a part of the building that has no direct access to the rest of the building (where the bar, rest of the kitchen, and the seating areas are) so food coming from that section of the kitchen has to be carried out one door and down the sidewalk and either back inside to the other kitchen or to the seating areas. I'm actually surprised that the ZBA and the counsel approved the design.

Here's a streetview of the restaurant in question:
1596037604965.png

^ The doors in the center lead to the lobby entrance where you can go into the restaurant to the left, some other commercial uses to the rear or to the elevators that take you to the offices and residential uses upstairs. the door to the right of the center entrance goes into the portion of the restaurant kitchen that is physically separate from the rest of the building so a kitchen staff member has to bring food out of that single door and either carry it back inside through the double doors or around the corner and into the seating or bar area that way.

I cannot recall the particulars but there was some sort of architectural reason why the restaurant couldn't also add an interior door on the side on the right so the kitchen staff could just walk across the lobby.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I ran XC, and my dad used to coach- one time he took me out and had me run downhill repeats. I got smoother and faster.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Finally decided to upgrade the #WFH stuff and buy a portable desk. It came in about 3 days and i was able to use my work dual monitor setup and bring home my dock to actually "pretend" i am in an office. Oh, I stole the window view to the patio, so i got that going to. This will definitely be an interesting fall.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I assumed there would be a shared kitchen, so yes, that definitely sounds odd.

That said, we've actually got a restaurant here in our downtown that expanded a few years ago and now part of their kitchen is in a part of the building that has no direct access to the rest of the building (where the bar, rest of the kitchen, and the seating areas are) so food coming from that section of the kitchen has to be carried out one door and down the sidewalk and either back inside to the other kitchen or to the seating areas. I'm actually surprised that the ZBA and the counsel approved the design.
Well that's odd! My sister worked at a restaurant in town for a while where the kitchen was actually below the seating area. You had to go up a very narrow flight of stairs. Imagine carrying a fully loaded tray of food up that.

In my particular case, there's no reason they couldn't be shared. There'd probably need to be a staircase of some sort connecting the two levels, but that's all. They don't want to do that because there's more to this "banquet hall" than they're saying. My guess is it'll end up being a bar or night club whenever the restaurant is closed for the night. We don't allow standalone bars here, from a zoning or ABC permitting standpoint.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
How come when I click on some threads it goes to the first new post but on others it just goes to the top of the page? It's seem completely random.

Planit

Cyburbian
My sister worked at a restaurant in town for a while where the kitchen was actually below the seating area. You had to go up a very narrow flight of stairs. Imagine carrying a fully loaded tray of food up that.
Did she work @ OHB?

dw914er

Cyburbian
This week has been a nonstop parade of Zoom meetings and Skype calls and conference calls.
I've been back to back meetings and calls; it's been impossible to do any other 'real' work.

We are also losing our assistant planner, who I think burned out from how busy we are, the fact that COVID budget impacts stopped our recruitment of a permit tech to help our workload, and the general stress of COVID and being open through it all. I wouldn't blame him either.

DVD

Cyburbian
I approved a residential fence in a temporary alley easement that was declared over 50 years ago and was given no end. So now everyone is arguing over abandonment of this easement instead of looking at the goal. Some poor guy wants a fence. We own the easement exclusively. There are no other utilities to consider. We can give permission to build in the easement. Especially since there is already a fence in the easement that we did nothing about for a long long time.

I hate the red tape sometimes.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
How come when I click on some threads it goes to the first new post but on others it just goes to the top of the page? It's seem completely random.
Clicking on the thread title takes you to the first post you haven't read. I don't know how it keeps track of which posts you've read, whether it's with cookies or what, but if it thinks you've never been in a thread it takes you to the beginning (i.e., the first post it thinks you haven't read).

It seems like older threads, even if you've read through them, sometimes don't register so it just goes to the beginning.

It's not just this forum, it's a feature of the forum software. I see the same behavior on other forums as well.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am scheduling my kids Fall soccer season, and it is sad because I feel like there is no way that we are going to play it. Games in October? Good one...

Planit

Cyburbian
I am scheduling my kids Fall soccer season, and it is sad because I feel like there is no way that we are going to play it. Games in October? Good one...
Registration has already happened here, but there is no new guidance from NCYSA. Right now we begin play in the first week of September. Practices are supposed to start in August. I think that's going to change.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Registration has already happened here, but there is no new guidance from NCYSA. Right now we begin play in the first week of September. Practices are supposed to start in August. I think that's going to change.
We are being told to schedule all games in September, because we aren't technically allowed to play yet (per our governor's orders), and they think the season will be cut short, so we are to try and schedule all 8 games in September, but likely will only get 6 games played.

We won't play any tournaments, and likely won't be allowed to have scrimmages, etc. We are practicing at this time though, which is odd, as my assistant coach and I have to wear masks, but the kids don't.... the whole thing is just bizarre.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
This low pressure system is doing a number on my sinuses - I had to go home early yesterday with a debilitating beyond the beyond barometric headache

still a dull roar today but I can power through it - packet day!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
can you provide links to an example of each?

packet day here too. :cry:

Planit

Cyburbian
As I type this, The Girl & Mrs. P are on their way to the oral surgeon to have wisdom teeth extracted.

During dinner last night we watching videos people have posted of their kids coming home after surgery. That eased some of her anxiety & we promised we wouldn't do that (but I had my fingers crossed).

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
^^My son seemed positively drunk on the drive home from his wisdom tooth extraction. He was videoing himself ... I was driving, so I have no vids. (Dammit)

Bubba

Cyburbian
As I type this, The Girl & Mrs. P are on their way to the oral surgeon to have wisdom teeth extracted.

During dinner last night we watching videos people have posted of their kids coming home after surgery. That eased some of her anxiety & we promised we wouldn't do that (but I had my fingers crossed).
I was awake when my wisdom teeth were cut out, and that was actually not the worst surgical procedure I've had done while awake. My sister, on the other hand, was put under when she had her wisdom teeth extracted - I had to tote her out to the car, and then tote her through the house to her bedroom. Fortunately for her this was well before cell phone and social media times...

AG74683

Cyburbian
How difficult is it to cross out an incorrect address on a permit and write the correct one in? Do you really need me to redraft everything to fix that small tiny little issue? No.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I was awake but numbed to the gills for my wisdom teeth extraction. I metabolize pain meds quickly so they had to keep giving me shots. I also had to have some sort of appliance inserted to keep my mouth open wide enough for all the crap they need to get at those back teeth, along with the bright light directly overhead.

For me it was more the after that was bad. My jaw hurt for days because the joint was swollen. I barfed several times after getting home (typical for me and pain meds), and overall was a pissed-off teenager for like a week or so.

My sister had the typical chipmunk cheeks and drunk acting.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Our office has been giving out grants to small businesses through some funds we got in the CARES Act. Nonprofits are not eligible in current round of grants we are working on. We designed the application to ask what we thought was a simple question: "Is the applicant business a for-profit business". If the applicant selected "No" it would get flagged as a nonprofit on the backend so we could quickly reject it. In the 1,500 applications we got in the first week we probably had 200+ applicants say they were nonprofits. I've gone in and verified those and all but 4 were for-profit companies. I guess small business owners and sole proprietors are considering themselves nonprofits if the owner just takes whatever profit as their own as their salary. I knew we were having some issues with the answers to that question when I saw my barber shop and my favorite ice cream place listed as nonprofits. 🤦‍♂️

Oh well. Maybe we need to revise the application to ask specifically if they are a 501c3 or 501c6 or whatever. :r:

I was awake but numbed to the gills for my wisdom teeth extraction. I metabolize pain meds quickly so they had to keep giving me shots...
Like you, I metabolize the pain meds very quickly and had to get many shots before and during the procedure. I was awake but pretty well drugged up. I had all four wisdom teeth out during boot camp and am convinced the Navy oral surgeon just wanted some practice because I had already had a bunch of teeth out a few years earlier to make space to realign my horribly crooked teeth when I had braces so I think there was plenty of space up there for my wisdom teeth, especially my uppers!

I remember at one point during the procedure when I indicated to the surgeon or the Corpsman that I could really feel things again they told me something along the lines of this being the last shot they could give me without risking some serious side effects or something. The best part about having 4 wisdom teeth out in boot camp was that I got to stay in the Naval Hospital for a couple of days and got out of mess duty that our platoon was doing that week.

I also remember that the surgeon asked if I minded if he turned on the radio while he worked and I happily said okay since I hadn't heard any news or music in probably 6 weeks at that point. Then he turned on a smooth jazz station. :mad:

Planit

Cyburbian

She is home & doing "okay" - she did video herself for a little bit on the ride home.

I was a wake for mine, Novocain & something else to make me groggy, but I heard everything (& I'm a dentist's son who had worked chairside many times so I knew when & what was happening). At one point the OS thumped me on top of the head because I was moaning. It wasn't a good experience for me.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member

was it this video?

DVD

Cyburbian
That's an hour that could have been an email. Love those staff meetings.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think everywhere in town just closes for lunch from 1-2. It's wild. 2 doctors offices, an optometrist, and now the barber shop. Don't answer phones and everything is locked up.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I think everywhere in town just closes for lunch from 1-2. It's wild. 2 doctors offices, an optometrist, and now the barber shop. Don't answer phones and everything is locked up.
The County offices in our building are the same way. Shut down, lock, stock, and barrel, from 1-2. City offices are open, however.

DVD

Cyburbian
I hate how our city interprets code, but I understand why they do it. I tend to read code for face value. The zoning administrator uses the original case hearing. Example: one zone requires a 10' side setback according to code. What the code does not say, but is in the text of the case hearing, it's a 10' perimeter setback around the subdivision. WTF? Learn to write a code. At the same time it is a monumental task to fix even that small of a mistake in the code. Think what it would take for real change. So we do a lot of things by interpretation.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
[Picture you are sitting in a cafe with your friends having coffee or a beer and someone walks up to the table and says okay, we need to get back to work now!]

Well, that's me - I need you to go here and get me some examples - my fenestration requirement is not DOA but I need to give examples!

[Spinning around as I walk out saying "thanks guys!"]

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am kicking around the idea of getting an MPA. Who of you have them and do you think it would be worth it? I already have a Masters in Planning

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well I gathered that one of the doctors I attempted to call just isn't bothering to answer their general question phone line. The other picked up and I got an appointment scheduled. Unfortunately it's not until August 17th. Just another delay in getting this EMT job going. That's okay though, the job required a week long orientation and I'm still expected in the office here until August 31st.