• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I am kicking around the idea of getting an MPA. Who of you have them and do you think it would be worth it? I already have a Masters in Planning
I did this two years ago. It was online and it was no joke. Lots of reading, assignments, discussion boards about the readings and other topics and research papers. I worked in planning offices for over 20 years and from early on I really liked local government. All of it. I always said that in planning we touch everything so it was a natural progression for me to want to be even more involved in day to day municipal operations. I've now been a deputy city manager for over a year and a half and I absolutely love it. Really having the ability to shape the organization as a whole is very exciting to me as well as all the special projects I deal with. That said, it's important to remember this. When you are in administration all problems are your problem. Today for example I went from a serious personnel issue, to a multi-million dollar negotiation, to reviewing agenda summaries to an operational review of one of the city departments. All in the span of about 2.5 hours. But I thrive on that stuff. I can honestly say that this was the most return on an investment I've ever had in my life as my income has increased over 26K from where I was just 19 months ago.

It all comes down to what you want from it. You're a family man and you'll be on call almost all the time. It seems like you work weekends now sometimes so that will probably become even more demanding so make sure that's something you and the family can deal with. It's worked out great for me but your mileage may vary. I'm happy to discuss further privately.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I am kicking around the idea of getting an MPA. Who of you have them and do you think it would be worth it? I already have a Masters in Planning
Depending on where you got your Masters in planning from, there could be a lot of overlap with an MPA program. The masters program at Wayne State (where I went) was pretty policy-focused and we had classes on public budgeting, public financing, personnel administration, etc. When I was a student there, we had the option to do a dual program and get your masters in planning and graduate certificate in public administration.

Personally, if you already have a masters in planning, I think a more efficient option would be to go somewhere that you can get a graduate certificate, especially with the amount of professional experience that you likely already have. I see so many job postings that seek candidates with an MPA or a masters in planning. Having both at this point in your career seems like an expensive bit of unnecessary overkill, especially if your goal is to obtain the MPA in order to advance your career.

DVD

Cyburbian
Got one of them. I did it more because I had no masters. I had an undergrad in planning and thought I would need a masters in something to advance. I'm not using it much right now, but it does help get me promotion interviews. If you're looking at city manager tract it's a good help, but that depends on your location. Some places aren't as worried about the education. Sometimes it's just showing you can do the job from a lower position and sometimes it's just who you sleep or golf with.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Depending on where you got your Masters in planning from, there could be a lot of overlap with an MPA program. The masters program at Wayne State (where I went) was pretty policy-focused and we had classes on public budgeting, public financing, personnel administration, etc. When I was a student there, we had the option to do a dual program and get your masters in planning and graduate certificate in public administration.
My program from Western was like that. Around a 1/3 of my classes were cross over into the MPA program.

I think I wan't to continue to do what I am doing. I love my job and the CM here is awesome to work for. I also see first hand the level of stress that he is under due to some of the local political climate. I was thinking of it more as a safety net in the event that my boss leaves and the culture of City Hall falls apart and my job does not stay awesome. I like to think of this approach as hazard mitigation planning.

Thank you all for such quick responses. I think for now, I am going to read a bunch of MPA books to see if this is something that I want to really dive into or not.

AG74683

Cyburbian
If you go for it, check out Appalachian State's MPA program. It's online for the most part and is pretty well respected here in NC. Most of the managers I've come in contact with over the last 8 years in this profession in NC have been App grads.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I am scheduling my kids Fall soccer season, and it is sad because I feel like there is no way that we are going to play it. Games in October? Good one...
Our season was cancelled as of yesterday. No fall sports here. At all. period.

Planit

Cyburbian
If you go for it, check out Appalachian State's MPA program. It's online for the most part and is pretty well respected here in NC. Most of the managers I've come in contact with over the last 8 years in this profession in NC have been App grads.

That's what wrong with this state. Too many App grads in leadership positions. :cool: :p

Big Owl

Cyburbian
A MPA from App is only highly respected by graduates of App's MPA program; just ask them ;) It will help you get a job working for an app alumni. As long as it is a acredited program, it doesn't matter where you get a MPA degree. Find a program that fits your needs the best. I say go big and get a JD/MPA degree from NCCU.

DVD

Cyburbian
Take my MPA from ASU. Throw off the east coast people. Plus it's actually ranked (something like 14 it was around 3 when I went). Hold that over the App State grads (another college that doesn't realize it's not a state).

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I got management approval to re-tool our summer internship program to be shorter and all-remote (given that we are supposed to avoid the office if we can). We interviewed several applicants and they all seem so motivated and excited to participate - it's going to be difficult to choose! With the terrible economy right now, I'd take them all if I could, so they can have something to put on their resumes. :worried:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
This low pressure system is doing a number on my sinuses - I had to go home early yesterday with a debilitating beyond the beyond barometric headache

still a dull roar today but I can power through it - packet day!
I had a migraine yesterday that decided to start around 5pm on when I was on the parkway. I get hemiplegic ones which are rare (I have to be special) and the first time I had one I thought I was having a stroke and went to the ER. Basically it starts with the flashy lights on the left side of my field of vision and once that subsides after 20 minutes I get numbness in my left lower arm/hand and if it's an especially bad one half my face will go numb and I have coordination issues. Those ones give me a headache for a few hours that usually I just sleep off in a dark room.

I've had the scans and EEG, nothing out of the ordinary and there's no real treatment for it so I just deal with it.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I try to find the silver lining in all the crazy bad going on.... my silver lining yesterday was that our Governor is closing bars at 10PM (which in no way affects me, but still is rough for the bar owners), BUT is allowing 3 mixed drinks to be ordered with a take out order.

Nachos and margaritas here I come!!

Planit

Cyburbian
I try to find the silver lining in all the crazy bad going on.... my silver lining yesterday was that our Governor is closing bars at 10PM (which in no way affects me, but still is rough for the bar owners), BUT is allowing 3 mixed drinks to be ordered with a take out order.

Nachos and margaritas here I come!!
Yes, I'll have takeout...

kms

Cyburbian
I am just happy the UP is in the correct location and shown.

And here, restaurants are now prohibited from selling alcohol after 11 PM because they were becoming 'bars' later at night. Bars are still closed.
The bars here that don't serve food were closed. So the bars offered inexpensive food items. So you could go to a bar, and get a chicken strip for 25 c., and on like that from published menus. It was called the Governor **** menu. The state found a way to shoot that down.

DVD

Cyburbian
Friday off complaints. I have to break out the blower and clean the yard because the brother-in-law is coming over. It's a cleaning insane wife thing.

Now living in Arizona I have a wonderful rock yard. No mowing, no trees dropping crap every fall. It's great. So why do I still have to clean the yard?
Because the neighbor has pine trees. Who the @$$# plants pine trees in a desert. Plus I find leaves from plants I don't have and the neighbors don't have. Where do these things come from? Of course there is always some random zip tie or piece of paper that get's found when I blow the yard. WTF.

Other complaints
The extension cord. It will be tangled no matter how carefully you wrapped it up last time.
Is that one of those river rocks your kids painted and spread all over the yard no matter how many times you put them back in the painted rock section? Yep, the cord is getting caught on that.
What about that one paver the is poking up just a little. Yep, getting caught on that.
Also sticking tight to the corner of any patio post even though there is nothing to stick to.

The leaves
Can we go backwards even though you throwing 150 mph wind at us from a blower. You bet we can.
Can I stick to a 1/2" size rock despite those hurricane force winds. Of course I can.
Can a bunch of us leaves suddenly appear in a part that you already cleaned. You know it.

The sun is trying to break records because 118 yesterday wasn't bad enough.

The fence that gets stuck open because it rubs on the sidewalk will not stay open for you to run stuff in and out.. Nope it's going to close and latch this time.

I'm done ranting. You people can take over. It's not like I need to mow a lawn, deal with a lawn mower, shovel snow, rake leaves all fall or any of the other annoying yard problems the rest of you have.

Yep. Just like liquor stores were "essential" businesses.
Keeping liquor stores open during the pandemic, as opposed to closing them, is the "lesser of the two evils". (Sort of like choosing between two political candidates you can't stand.)

. . . I have to break out the blower and clean the yard because the brother-in-law is coming over. It's a cleaning insane wife thing.

Other complaints
<snip>
Have you considered starting a 'rant thread' about yard work?
So many of us can relate!

Veloise

Cyburbian
Pro tip: If you're going to rent to a bunch of dudes who decide to repair vehicles in a residential district, make sure your rental unit is not immediately adjacent to that of someone who knows sumpthin' 'bout code enforcement.

A Notice of Complaint was sent to the owners on 7/7/20 and it is due for inspection as of 7/29/20

The complaint you summitted to our office is still open. I inspected it yesterday and intend to issue a correction notice. I have also spoken to the police department about the number of unlicensed cars on the street and alley.
I will be issuing the notice as time allows and I will make a formal referral to the GRPD once I have completed the notice and paperwork required.

Planit

Cyburbian
A local wine bar with food place here complained that the coffee shop 2 doors down was over capacity. Fire checked it out & cut the occupancy in half.

The bar place has lost many people over the course of this & other things. The decorations are nice, they have good products, but the owners are pretentious ... oh wait, that might explain some things.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Friday off complaints...

The sun is trying to break records because 118 yesterday wasn't bad enough...
I sold a wristwatch to somebody out in your neck of the woods earlier this week. The watch was on a custom leather strap. He emailed me Wednesday to let me know he got the watch and was very excited to get it on his wrist. I responded that he should probably swap out the leather strap for a nylon or cotton one since it's so hot out there this week. He emailed me yesterday evening to tell me he didn't take my advice soon enough and fears he may have ruined the strap with sweat already. Oops!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I sold a wristwatch to somebody out in your neck of the woods earlier this week. The watch was on a custom leather strap. He emailed me Wednesday to let me know he got the watch and was very excited to get it on his wrist. I responded that he should probably swap out the leather strap for a nylon or cotton one since it's so hot out there this week. He emailed me yesterday evening to tell me he didn't take my advice soon enough and fears he may have ruined the strap with sweat already. Oops!
Funny you mention that... I took the leather strap off my Apple Watch a couple weeks ago and replaced with with a vented rubber one for that exact reason. Otherwise unless it was gym day, it was the leather strap.

Today I changed it up and am wearing a different watch with stainless steel band.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Funny you mention that... I took the leather strap off my Apple Watch a couple weeks ago and replaced with with a vented rubber one for that exact reason. Otherwise unless it was gym day, it was the leather strap.

Today I changed it up and am wearing a different watch with stainless steel band.
I almost never wear leather straps, regardless of the time of year. I prefer steel, rubber, or a nylon NATO-style strap. I just find leather to be the least comfortable of all the options.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Yep. Just like liquor stores were "essential" businesses.
After hearing stories about people detoxing from alcohol, I understand why liquor stores were essential. The detox facilities and emergency wards would have been swamped with patients.

I am just happy the UP is in the correct location and shown.

And here, restaurants are now prohibited from selling alcohol after 11 PM because they were becoming 'bars' later at night. Bars are still closed.
How nice of COVID 19 waiting till 11 pm to spread. ;)

Veloise

Cyburbian
Pro tip: If you're going to rent to a bunch of dudes who decide to repair vehicles in a residential district, make sure your rental unit is not immediately adjacent to that of someone who knows sumpthin' 'bout code enforcement.

A Notice of Complaint was sent to the owners on 7/7/20 and it is due for inspection as of 7/29/20

The complaint you summitted to our office is still open. I inspected it yesterday and intend to issue a correction notice. I have also spoken to the police department about the number of unlicensed cars on the street and alley.
I will be issuing the notice as time allows and I will make a formal referral to the GRPD once I have completed the notice and paperwork required.
Tried to start a conversation on my neighborhood FB group regarding this. Oh the comments ...
what is it with people playing the "Karen" card? One of them was named "Dick." (I resisted.)
"Did you try talking to them?" Yes, as stated above. Several times.
"oh but COVID, the SOS is shut down, if this doesn't effect [sic] you than ]sic] STFU"
But it does. Can't work on my landscaped parkway. Can't enjoy my backyard. About a dozen cars? Appliances? Tuning engines on the street? Peeling out for a test drive? Firing up at 1am?

My favorite was the fellow who helpfully suggested that I google the city's code enforcement department.

zoning auto repair.png

A neighbor weighed in, and this settled things down.
"To everyone making fun of her name, what a cruel and low way to attack someone. It’s a real bummer you think it’s funny. I know exactly which house this is and as a neighbor to it, Karen’s feelings aren’t alone. It’s less about the unmarked vehicles, but more about the noise and inconsideration. They’re often shouting, revving engines, several different men working on the property, they block the alley to work on cars, shine bright lights, random people sleep in their garage or cars, customers shouting about the service. It’s not just one man working on some vehicles. This has been going on well before quarantine too."

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The sun is trying to break records because 118 yesterday wasn't bad enough.
We almost got down to 70 last night. High is only in the low 90s today. Very pleasant for this time of year in North Texas.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We received rain last week. I bless the rains down in Ohio.... gonna take some time to do the things we never had.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I had a migraine yesterday that decided to start around 5pm on when I was on the parkway. I get hemiplegic ones which are rare (I have to be special) and the first time I had one I thought I was having a stroke and went to the ER. Basically it starts with the flashy lights on the left side of my field of vision and once that subsides after 20 minutes I get numbness in my left lower arm/hand and if it's an especially bad one half my face will go numb and I have coordination issues. Those ones give me a headache for a few hours that usually I just sleep off in a dark room.

I've had the scans and EEG, nothing out of the ordinary and there's no real treatment for it so I just deal with it.
I feel your pain. Literally. I too have suffered from these on several occasions.

We received rain last week. I bless the rains down in Ohio.... gonna take some time to do the things we never had.
The wild dogs cry out in the night as they grow restless longing for some Sandusky

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Bear talked about Tony Paco's at some point I'm pretty sure. The area is definitely around his old stomping grounds.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The end of yesterday was really sadly lacking in randomness. I mean 1PM was the last thing we had that was random?

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Read a work email on my phone last night at 9:00 and didn't sleep all night. Angry neighbor to a new build demanding an in-person meeting whose only purpose will be to attempt to grandstand/bully me into a trumped-up enforcement action.

Is there a way to "mute" my work email inbox on my phone certain hours so that when I fail to resist temptation, there just won't be anything new there?