• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 2020

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1980 was 40 years ago. That means songs like "Funkytown", "Another Brick in the Wall", "Brass in Pocket", and "Fire Lake" are as old today as songs like "Throw Hitler Under the A-Train", "Liver and Onion Pie Oh My", "The Horn on My Packard Goes Beep Beep Beep", and "Make it Snappy Sonny Boy" were to me during my first year in high school.

Also, Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.
I like those putting history into perspective. As you get older, you tend to lose perspective because you remember the events, music, fashion, etc. Y2K was 20 years ago. I remember all the hysterics concerning that.

Epstein had too much dirt on rich, famous and powerful people. He was a goner when he went to jail.

AG74683

Cyburbian
How difficult is it to get a damn plat map signed? These people had to literally schedule an appointment to come in here because they're too cheap to pay the attorney to get it signed. The attorney literally has the damn map, but they can't find 15 seconds to come over here for a signature either. Infuriating.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The ambulance I'm riding on the 25th is based out of a church parsonage. Seems weird.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
"If I have a blinker on, I can pull into the freeway lane, even if I'm doing 20 mph less than traffic and there is a car in that lane."

NO, THAT'S NOT HOW DRIVING WORKS, MORON.

There, I feel better now.

Planit

Cyburbian
Wow! That is almost my exact outfit today. Who knew I was such a trendsetter! Well, trade the snakeskin boots in for sneakers and the tube top for a sweater from Eddie Bauer and it is like looking in a mirror!

It must be the new glasses. Actually, I don't recognize you in those new glasses either.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
When I hear "mom jeans" I'm thinking more along the lines of an SNL skit. You know, jeans with elastic waistbands and extra 'breathing room' in front.
Please, sir! I have a little dignity. I only have 1 pair of pants with an elastic waist band and they aren't denim.

AG74683

Cyburbian
When I hear "mom jeans" I'm thinking more along the lines of an SNL skit. You know, jeans with elastic waistbands and extra 'breathing room' in front.
Yeah, those are a little more "mom jean" style than the first picture.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I got honked at in the school drop-off line this morning. I'm hoping the a$#hole felt a little guilty after she realized that I was taking awhile because my 5-year old was struggling to get his jacket on while in his car seat. Still rude of her. :cursing:

1980 was 40 years ago. That means songs like "Funkytown", "Another Brick in the Wall", "Brass in Pocket", and "Fire Lake" are as old today as songs like "Throw Hitler Under the A-Train", "Liver and Onion Pie Oh My", "The Horn on My Packard Goes Beep Beep Beep", and "Make it Snappy Sonny Boy" were to me during my first year in high school.
I had a similar realization last weekend, about the 90's. I now feel decidedly middle-aged.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
AHHH my head is going to explode... Trying to run population projections, but when I add in permits as a variable, it becomes unsustainable We will not be issuing 45,000 permits for new homes in 2040. I almost need to toss out the past year of data to make these numbers work. We are growing, but we can't continue to grow as fast as we have the past 18 months.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
The school drop off scene can be pretty rabid - so many rules, many unwritten, too many Karen's in the queue
Yep, I have no time for drop-off helicopter parent Karen. If you are in the queue to drop off your kid, do that and move on with your life. If your kid doesn't have their crap together and can exit the car in a timely fashon; open the door and push them out of your oversized soccer mom assault vehicle. When they hit the asphalt a time or three, that will teach them.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
AHHH my head is going to explode... Trying to run population projections, but when I add in permits as a variable, it becomes unsustainable We will not be issuing 45,000 permits for new homes in 2040. I almost need to toss out the past year of data to make these numbers work. We are growing, but we can't continue to grow as fast as we have the past 18 months.
You need to run a build-out scenario analysis first be determine, under current zoning and annexed land, the total number of residential possible in your muni.

That will give you a good idea of the potential bell curve for permitting projections.

This is not a straight line project. Municipal development is a curve. You're likely on the up-slope of your curve right now. Don't expect that to hold indefinitely.

And...Power Clash!

DVD

Cyburbian
I always used a 5 year rolling average to help knock down spikes. Maybe at least a 3 year average.

I am not motivated to work today.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
You need to run a build-out scenario analysis first be determine, under current zoning and annexed land, the total number of residential possible in your muni.

That will give you a good idea of the potential bell curve for permitting projections.

This is not a straight line project. Municipal development is a curve. You're likely on the up-slope of your curve right now. Don't expect that to hold indefinitely.
We have done a couple of build-out scenario's based on available land and available water. Here was have a few different municipal classifications so it is not quite as clear cut as in the mid west. We won't have enough water based on today's allocation to cover our entire future service boundary area, but we will within the next 25 years using a current density ratio and residential to non residential ratio and water allocation percentage increases.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We have done a couple of build-out scenario's based on available land and available water. Here was have a few different municipal classifications so it is not quite as clear cut as in the mid west. We won't have enough water based on today's allocation to cover our entire future service boundary area, but we will within the next 25 years using a current density ratio and residential to non residential ratio and water allocation percentage increases.
Good. You're there with the base development assumptions.

DVD's suggestion is a good one.

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
I hate when the permit tech accepts incomplete applications. We just end up being a filing cabinet for peoples crap while they waste months getting the rest of the required information. So now I have a giant roll of house plans (which I also despise, it's 2020, if you cannot get us .pdf copies of plans, you need to rethink your career) without 99% of the other outstanding information. That will sit here for at least a month before they have everything in. Even worse, it'll take them another 3 months to come pick up the damn plans. I'll be throwing them away a week after the permit is issued from now on.

Planit

Cyburbian

And...Power Clash!

There's the clothing attire for the next Council meeting! Going to Goodwill & look for the sport coat.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What's that song about shopping at goodwill - loved that when it came out
You mean Mackelmore's 'Thrift Shop'?

Bonus track for truly discount shopping:

You probably have heard Commander Cody before with their big hit "Hot Rod Lincoln" but I equally love their much lesser known song "Stealing at the 7-11"

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
You mean Mackelmore's 'Thrift Shop'?

Bonus track for truly discount shopping:

You probably have heard Commander Cody before with their big hit "Hot Rod Lincoln" but I equally love their much lesser known song "Stealing at the 7-11"
Yes, that's it, thank you lol

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm trying to devise some way I can casually insert into conversation the phrase "I was just about ready to pop that broad in the kisser for smarting off to me, when her old man walked in."
Problem is, I'm not a character in some film noir picture. It would be so much easier if I were.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I hate when the permit tech accepts incomplete applications. We just end up being a filing cabinet for peoples crap while they waste months getting the rest of the required information. So now I have a giant roll of house plans (which I also despise, it's 2020, if you cannot get us .pdf copies of plans, you need to rethink your career) without 99% of the other outstanding information. That will sit here for at least a month before they have everything in. Even worse, it'll take them another 3 months to come pick up the damn plans. I'll be throwing them away a week after the permit is issued from now on.
We refuse anything bigger than 11X17 and will take digital submissions.

Permit techs who take in incomplete applications own those applications until they are complete. It doesn't take more than a few files piling up on your desk and couple of times having to call people back to get additional stuff to realize it's far easier to refuse the application the first time it comes in.

zman

Cyburbian
Neil Peart, Rush Drummer, Dead At 67

Sad... I have been down about this all day... and listening to the Rush catalog at work.