• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Good morning and happy new year to all friends and foes. I proudly pry open another can of RANDOMS, version 2008. In keeping with the random nature I post this snippet.....

Years ago my friend (Fred) and this Bear decided to dribble basketballs from our home in the Point Place neighborhood of Toledo (north side) to Detroit. A distance of about 55 miles.

We made it as far as Monroe, MI.....about 18 miles.

Why?

Who the hexx knows.

How's that for totally random?

:-D

Planner Note: The above story incorporated topics near and dear to the hearts of plannerfolk.....geographical references, questionable activities, sports, friendship, nostalgia.

Welcome to 2008.

Random Bear :)

mgk920

Cyburbian
I'm the first to add his random thoughts to thread #3!!!

YEEEEEHAAAA!!!

Whatta year it is already - sunny and the Badgers are playing!

:b::-D:b:

Mike

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
To borrow a line from donk and others....

My liver hurts :r: It didn't help that the furnace kept blowing cold air off and on in the wee hours of the morning either.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Rawhide!
compressed rawhide bones are a godsend. not only do they keep doggy busy for a good chunk of time, but i'm also treated to a nice parade before doggy gets down to business.

Steel Drum Random
we went to First Night last night and one of the acts was the local high school's steel drum band. how cool is that? i would've loved to learn to play the steel drum. i suppose i could still learn how to play but who knows what different direction my life could've taken had i learned the steel drums earlier in life. *imagines playing drums at resort on Trinidad*

Boids
i bought bird feeder as an X-mas gift for the house. so far there has been a very meager showing of birds. however, i noticed that two houses down always has birds at their feeder. is it wrong to poach birds from my neighbor's feeder? i suppose i could go with premium birdseed but that could get expensive. any tips?

Veloise

Cyburbian
Steel Drum Random
we went to First Night last night and one of the acts was the local high school's steel drum band. how cool is that? ...
Where is your First Night city?

[wants to start the equivalent in GR, newly motivated by driving 2 hours to attend a contra dance in Ann Arbor, and then a winter storm required 2 hours to drive only halfway home]

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Boids
i bought bird feeder as an X-mas gift for the house. so far there has been a very meager showing of birds. however, i noticed that two houses down always has birds at their feeder. is it wrong to poach birds from my neighbor's feeder? i suppose i could go with premium birdseed but that could get expensive. any tips?
1. It will take a while for your feeder to be added to the regular route

2. Different birds prefer different foods and feeder types. So if the neighbor has a better variety, they will have more birds.

3. The secret is open water, a heated bird bath will draw many birds.

noottamevas

Cyburbian
Boids
In time the birds will learn where your feeder is. Then you will be filling it twice a day. The longer it is up and full, the more different kinds of birds you will see. Keep a bird book close by and a digital camera handy.

Squirrels can empty a feeder in no time. But the cats love them:D

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. It will take a while for your feeder to be added to the regular route

2. Different birds prefer different foods and feeder types. So if the neighbor has a better variety, they will have more birds.

3. The secret is open water, a heated bird bath will draw many birds.
wah! i have no patience. ;-) i bought the generic tube feeder that is supposed to be good for chickadees, sparrows, titmouse, junkos, etc. i got the birdseed from the Agway and it claimed to be the local mix for local birds. a heated bird bath would be nice. my dad just got my mom one for her b-day. i'm not sure i have any outlets near where one would go in my yard. i 'll have to investigate. :)

In time the birds will learn where your feeder is. Then you will be filling it twice a day. The longer it is up and full, the more different kinds of birds you will see. Keep a bird book close by and a digital camera handy.

Squirrels can empty a feeder in no time. But the cats love them:D
wonderful pictures!! i'm kinda spoiled bird-wise because my parents have a wonderful array of birds. but i suppose that comes from having feeders there for the past 30 years! that's a good idea about the camera. thanks for the suggestion.

i like squirrels and we've had some squirrel visitors. part of the reason i got the feeders was so the kitties could have something to watch. two squirrels already decimated the birdseed wreath my mom got me for christmas. it was fun watching them swing from it.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I'm glad to hear you bought yourself a bird feeder, dandy. I almost got you one as my Secret Santa gift, but I wasn't sure whether you would be interested in one.

We've been feeding birds for many years, and my hubbie got me a heated bird bath for Xmas last year. It's nice to have but probably not imperative.

What everyone else said is absolutely true -- it may take awhile for the birds to discover your feeding station. All the snowy weather you've had lately should help. You might want to get a 2nd bird feeder; if you have a tube feeder, consider a platform type feeder, or a suet hanger -- the variety will attract different kinds of birds.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Good morning and happy new year to all friends and foes. I proudly pry open another can of RANDOMS, version 2008. In keeping with the random nature I post this snippet.....

Random Bear :)
I really wanted to post first but I couldn't connect when I got home from our NYE gig. With a snowy I-74, I wouldn't have beaten Bear anyway. I got home at 5:30 am.

Champagne Random I drank nothing but water during our gig until midnight, when somebody handed me a full bottle of bubbly. I drank it all in about 5 minutes. I do not like Champagne. Why?

natski

Cyburbian
My liver hurts too. It is the 2nd over here, and it still hurts. I need another 10 hours of quality sleep.

But the Sydney New Years Fireworks are awesome!!! Happy New Year to All. I have no come uo with any resolutions yet... i will come up with something hopefully

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Still waiting for RJ and ZG to check in. Got a text message from ZG with lovely picture of the Napa Valley vineyards. Guess due to their alcohol consumption, they aren't able to post.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
well only 14 hours into the new year and i think i've already taken a hammer to one of my two resolutions: nuture relationships.

lately the BF and i can't seem to have a conversation that doesn't turn into a fight. :-@

can one be a hermit-ess with cats or does she just become a crazy cat lady?

Veloise

Cyburbian
...can one be a hermit-ess with cats...?
[waves hello]

I drove two hours for a contra dance (led by my mentor, the best caller in the state if not most of the country) and >SURPRISE< an ex was there. He spoke first, and I almost replied, "oh, are we speaking again?" Other than that, the dance was great.

The snowy trip back up the unplowed highway (about 2-1/2 hours to get only halfway home) was Reminiscing City. There's other guys. And as Ann Landers used to state, "better to be alone than to wish that you were."

HTH

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
can one be a hermit-ess with cats or does she just become a crazy cat lady?
Yes I think so :) Although I don't have a kitty anymore :( Frankly, I have developed a very low tolerance for BS of any kind and am not interested in having any kind of relationship that devolves into disagreements/arguments on a regular basis. I'd rather be by myself thank you!

SuperPenguin

Cyburbian
Lappy Random: As some of you may remember from last year's episode of this thread... :D ... I am dusting off the ol' laptop for my trip. Yeah, a trip quickly into the dumpster. With a whopping 10GB hard drive, and 128 MB of RAM :-c -- it can barely get out of its own way. I opened up Windows Media Player, and that accounted for all of its computing power. I'll be off to Wally World, or maybe somewhere else, to price a new, cheap, but functional laptop. Unfortunately, I really DON'T want to cross into Vista territory yet, and it's darn near impossible to find a new system without it. Bleh.

Ex Random: I'm dense, I'll admit that much. Is it really a big taboo to want to remain at least civil with an ex? So many times, I see or hear stories where two ex's cross paths and it goes poorly, and I don't get that. Aside from the stalkerish crazy ex who tried to kill me, I don't imagine any instance when I'd be incapable of at least exchanging greetings. But is this even possible? Or have I just missed the chapter of the manual where it describes how to pretend the other person never existed?

Trip Random: I leave tomorrow (or actually, later today). I'm ... um ... apprehensive. Very apprehensive. I won't say scared, but ... nervous. And apprehensive.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
2008 is already good for me! Michigan won a bowl game, Lloyd Carr goes out with a win, the seniors finally find out what it's like to win a big one (even though it wasn't the Rose Bowl or Ohio State). Life is good. Go Blue!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Driving back to NJ today....not sure if I'm going to make it all the way today because I am tired. The furnace is on the fritz where I've been staying so I was blasted with cold air intermittently all night long. It's so cold outside too. I took I-81 down here but me thinks that the snow forecast for eastern PA and MD is going to force me up I-95 which is going to suck. Ah well.....18 more days of cold and then I am bound for equator land!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Rawhide!
compressed rawhide bones are a godsend. not only do they keep doggy busy for a good chunk of time, but i'm also treated to a nice parade before doggy gets down to business.
Only other dog owners will 'get' this.

Not only do we get a parade, but our hund performs a presentation ceremony both before and after getting down to business. The ceremony is reminiscent of the Japanese tea ceremony where every motion is deep with symbolic significance and ultimately culminating in a moment of zen-like peace.... The hund will approach master with rawhide in mouth and will set it in master's lap. At that point the master is expected to gaze upon the rawhide bone reverently, noting its shape, weight, and condition. After handling the rawhide for the appropriate amount of time the bone is then returned to the expectant hund who then continues the parade for a short space and may then proceed to business. After a certain interval the hund must then get up and once again present master with the rawhide. Master must then appreciatively note the changes that have occurred since the last viewing and respectfully return said rawhide and repeat the ritual until nothingness is ultimately achieved. Dogs are such spiritual creatures.:w:

On a different note, has anyone ever heard a cat burp audibly?

Last edited by a moderator:

graciela

Cyburbian
Boids
Feed Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. They are like crack for birds. The wild birdseed mix has never worked at my house. Now that we use BOSS, we usually have 15+ birds hanging around in the area around the feeder waiting their turn.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Feed Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. They are like crack for birds.
Yup, BOSS is indeed crack for boyds. We put out as much as a (dry) gallon a day in cold weather and we get cardinals, titmouse, martins, chickadees, sparrows, mourning doves (annoying birds, those -- they purposefully spill the seed everywhere), woodpeckers, blue jays and many more. We gave up on trying to defeat the squirrels and now just sprinkle seed right on the railing of the deck.

Beside the camera, d_w, I'd keep a bird book nearby as well as a pair of binoculars. Enjoy!

Otis

Cyburbian
My fifth biggest PITA got a building permit for a house. A four-foot retaining wall is shown on his plans. Inspection shows a 15-foot retaining wall that his landcsapers put in.:-c:-@ Posted a stop work order. He called. "Didn't know" he needed a building permit.:a::a::a: He's moving up to 4th place.:-@:-@

zman

Cyburbian
Beginning with my first post on the new Randomonium Thread, I will say this.

After a short (7 minute walk) commute to the new job this morning (cold at -3 degrees), I am now home on my lunch hour posting here and listening to some Neil Young.

This new gig is fun.

Today: Organizing plans and files, looking at stuff.
Tomorrow: Painting the new office
Friday: hopefully moving my desk in and getting a computer.

Gotta love the small towns!

We get some good bird seed from the local farm and ranch store. We get a great collection of LBBs (Little Brown Birds) and we have become a favorite spot for the birds in the community.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
My lunchtime visual: 7 wild turkeys at the bird feeders. :-D

They are so ungainly, but they seem to do just fine walking through snow that reaches their thighs. I felt guilty so I went out in brrrrrrrrrr weather to put more seed out for them & the smaller birds.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
My dog wolfs down his food, comes over where we are and belches to let us know he's still got room left for a snack reward for finishing his meal.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOFB - how can you eat shellfish without champagne? if it's decent, no headache - stay way from the Asti Spumante, buddy ;)

I am flight tracking my daughter home online, it's a very cool thing to do - she is over Newfoundland at 40,000 feet going about 490 miles per hour - so she should be over my house at 4:40 PM - I can see the international flights way up high as they are hitting landfall heading down to NY/Boston, very cool -

have not heard from her but I didn't expect she'd call - :r:

now I am conflicted because I don't want to leave for Syracuse tomorrow, I really like being home - and I want to spend time with mydaughter tomorrow after school - the Music Boosters promised the admin at the highschool that they would absolutely be at school the next morning - she is going to be exhausted!:-o

I'm going to try to attach a picture of their concertand one from the parade but it's not working, oh well:-$

tsc

Cyburbian
Campbell's Tomato Soup is like Thomas's English Muffins and A-1 Sauce....no one else can do it right. I bought the store label....was sooo sweet.

Nothing like a good bowl of Tom Soup and grilled cheese on a cold day.

zman

Cyburbian
My dog wolfs down his food, comes over where we are and belches to let us know he's still got room left for a snack reward for finishing his meal.
As I read this, my dog came over to burp...
Now she is eye-ing the apple I am eating. After she belched, I told her to go lie down, so she then proceeds to walking around my chair and set up shop on my left side (because I may not notice her there...

I love dogs.

I read something interesting the other day. Labs (which is the main breed in my pseudo-mutt, the others being Bloodhound, Lazy and Hungry) are like the French, in that they live to eat. Yorkshire Terriers are like the British, in that they eat to live.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
As I read this, my dog came over to burp...
Now she is eye-ing the apple I am eating. After she belched, I told her to go lie down, so she then proceeds to walking around my chair and set up shop on my left side (because I may not notice her there...
Buuurrrrrrrrp! Apple? Carrot? Grape? Already been eaten once? Mmmm, recycled snacks! True omnivores.

Note: I don't let my dogs lick my face.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Note: I don't let my dogs lick my face.
Made me think of the Classic Peanuts qoute by Lucy Van Pelt in A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)
Auugh! I've been kissed by a dog! I have dog germs! Get some hot water! Get some disinfectant! Get some iodine!

Habanero

Cyburbian
I thought the outdoor NHL game was a bit of letdown though I had a sudden urge to name something Sidney.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Smithwick's is my new favorite beer:p
It's one of my favorite standards from one of the beloved pubs in New Brunswick. Goes well with most pub grub, isn't too bubbly, and is well balanced.

Campbell's Tomato Soup is like Thomas's English Muffins and A-1 Sauce....no one else can do it right. I bought the store label....was sooo sweet.

Nothing like a good bowl of Tom Soup and grilled cheese on a cold day.
I agree on all three accounts. I love Campbell's Tomato Soup made with milk, not water thank you, and served with crunched up saltines. Toss in a cheddar grilled cheese sandwich and that for me is the ultimate little comfort meal.

I survived the 12 hour drive from South Carolina up I-85 and I-95 with the teenager, she is still alive and unharmed. I think the Starbucks at hour 9 tided her over for the remainder of the drive. Last thing I want to do is get up in the morning and drive 40 miles to work :r:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
....Thomas's English Muffins....no one else can do it right.
I will have to respectfully disagree. Bay's English Muffins (made in the great City of Chicago) are the best english muffins on the market. Unfortunately, you probably can't know the greatest because I don't think they are distributed out your way.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Buckeye, AZ is the first municipal website I've visited where they actually show on a map where the city is located. one would think this would be somethign that most cities, towns, etc. would do but they don't. i found this very frustrating when conducting my first job search out of grad school.

correction: it is actually on their careers page, but that's still better than a lot.

kudos to Buckeye.

why don't cities put it on their main page?

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Do we need to start Google-checking regularly, like spellchecking?

An upcoming event has been promoted as happening at the FirstName LastName Center. Google that and the links are to a location 60 miles away with that exact name. The event is actually at the FirstName LastName Institute, located here in town. Both places are named for the same person.

As this is a regional event, the 60 miles away location would be inconvenient, but not unbelievable.

Locals may refer to the Instifute location here in town as the "Center", but Google doesn't know that. Each location's website uses Center and Institute exclusively, so if you don't know the slang, you'll be 60 miles from where you need to be.

Frustrating.

I should post a few times in this thread while it is small enough for me to actually access it.

I have been plagued with cyburbia-related technical difficulties for months and seem to have picked up some new ones recently....right after changing internet providers. Aargh. <rolls eyes -- and I would use an emoticon but cannot access them right now and don't know the code for that one>

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really hate the first day back in the office after being on a break. It's not like I could have been emailed some information regarding what I've been told to do last week to get a bit of a jump on it. Dragon Lady strikes again.....the saga continues. T-minus 17 days and counting.....

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I treated myself to a Nikon D40X 35mm TTL digital camera kit and 70-300mm af lens yesterday, after rat-holing nickels and dimes for quite some time. Get it home, and it doesn't come with a memory stick (go figure, considering what the bleepin' thing cost). At lunch today, I go to the store and buy a couple of 2gig sticks and drop 'em off at home. As I finish a sandwich, I look up out the kitchen window and there's a Cooper's Hawk sitting on my fence, just beyond my deck. Positively gorgeous bird to be sure.

So, yeah, the memory stick wasn't yet in the Nikon and I knew I had no way of cutting it out of all the freaking crimped-edge plastic packaging in time to get a good photo. So I grab our little canon powershot and ... the batteries are dead.

This is the second time in a week the Cooper has been in my backyard. Third time's the charm.:)

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I will have to respectfully disagree. Bay's English Muffins (made in the great City of Chicago) are the best english muffins on the market. Unfortunately, you probably can't know the greatest because I don't think they are distributed out your way.
In my Michigan days, I was an aficionado of Bay's muffins even though I had trouble reading the lettering and thought it was Ball's muffins for years. Having said that, my years in warmer climates have convinced me that english muffins of any brand are a poor second to southern bisquits from any state south of the M-D line.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I treated myself to a Nikon D40X 35mm TTL digital camera kit and 70-300mm af lens yesterday, after rat-holing nickels and dimes for quite some time. Get it home, and it doesn't come with a memory stick (go figure, considering what the bleepin' thing cost). At lunch today, I go to the store and buy a couple of 2gig sticks and drop 'em off at home. As I finish a sandwich, I look up out the kitchen window and there's a Cooper's Hawk sitting on my fence, just beyond my deck. Positively gorgeous bird to be sure.

So, yeah, the memory stick wasn't yet in the Nikon and I knew I had no way of cutting it out of all the freaking crimped-edge plastic packaging in time to get a good photo. So I grab our little canon powershot and ... the batteries are dead.

This is the second time in a week the Cooper has been in my backyard. Third time's the charm.:)
The camera has internal memory that should have lasted a max of 8 pictures. Just an FYI.

Planit

Cyburbian
Next week I'll have to work 5 days in a row with no days off for some holiday. I don't know if I'll be able to handle that. Man looks like I'll have to call in sick come Thursday or RJ 3 out of 5 days.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
My co-workers and I have come up with some great T-Shirt ideas within the last week or so. This is best one so far:

"Don't Taunt The Tigers"

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
I actually passed finance. Big sigh of relief, now to wait for the other marks to come in.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually passed finance. Big sigh of relief, now to wait for the other marks to come in.
Yeaaaaaaaah! I felt the same with my stats class. Wishing for the rest to be good marks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.