• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 4 (2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Happy New Year, Cyburbians!!!

If you are reading this at or around the midnight hour......you are enjoying the old "out with the old, in with the new" dance that most of the world does as a New Year rolls from time zone to time zone. If you are reading it on Thursday morning, the first day of 2009, as bacon and eggs (with coffee) sizzles in the background.....hope your hangover goes away! :-D

Katie has informed me that I have to kiss her when the clock strikes midnight. Being an old codger, I was kinda hoping she would watch my ball drop, too.

:-$:p:-D:)

Seriously.....a very warm Happy New Year to all my friends at Cyburbia.

I am off to kiss my beautiful wife. :l:

PS - She also told me I have to kiss Molly (our Golden Retriever). Anybody know if 2009 is the "year of the dog"? It apparently is in my house.

Bear Puckering :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Happy New Year ! :)

Who else was in bed asleep before 11 PM and woke up sober ?

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Happy New Year ! :)

Who else was in bed asleep before 11 PM and woke up sober ?
I was. Just a beer with dinner and then off to bed at the usual 10:30 time. Didn't even hear any of the fireworks or gunfire this year. Our oldest and most nervous dog lost his hearing late in 2008 so we were actually able to sleep this year. I'm afraid he's going to be on "The List" this year.

Happy New Year, All Y'All!!!!

Queen B

Cyburbian
Happy New Year to all!!!!

The kids were gone, the hubby was sick so we stayed in. One glass of bubbly and sadly off to seperate beds cause hubby can't breath and has been shaking the walls snoring.

It is all good...:-D:-D:-D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Marley, Molly & Us

I have a funny story to share. This happened just a few minutes ago. It might actually be a better fit in some sort of "irony" thread. Story follows.....

In The Dining Room
This morning (New Year's Day) Katie was considering driving over to see the movie Marley & Me. Her plans included driving with her sister to either the small cinema complex in the town of Wauseon, OH, or motoring into inner-ring Toledo suburb, Maumee, and catch the flick at the jumbo cinema extravaganza. To get her somewhat inspired to see the movie she started to search the net for snippets from the flick.

She located a couple advertisements (trailers) and watched them.

In The Kitchen
While Katie was watching the Marley vids, this Bear was frying some bacon. On the menu for today is a locally-favorite salad....."Betty Salad".....that includes romaine lettuce, spinich leaves, boiled eggs, bean sprouts, and crumbled bits of real bacon. The salad was made famous by a Toledo restauranter named Betty Timko. Her estate still sells her special salad dressing in local stores. Betty Salad is very good.......not exactly a healthy salad.....but yummy for the tummy, and a favorite on holidays. :p

"Check This Out!"
I finished frying the bacon and crumbled it into tiny pieces. Meanwhile, Katie found a trailer for Marley that she wanted me to see. She called me out to the dining room and we started to watch it together.

As we viewed the preview of a movie that illustrates a bad dog named Marley.....our dog (Golden Retriever) named Molly decides that she wanted some bacon. She got her big front paws on the counter and nudged the plate of bacon bits toward her. She managed to devour some of the bits until she knocked over a fork.

Katie and this Bear, watching the bad dog video, looked at each other and exclaimed, "Oh, oh.!"
_____

That's my bit of bad dog irony on this New Year's Day.

:)

Bear

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
That's cool....

...ZG was looking at the on-line menu where my son works in Berkeley. There are some scrolling pictures of staff next to the menu. "Hey" she says, "there's Alex!" Sure enough, my kid's image is on the world wide web.

Nice menu, BTW. We plan to eat there today. I can't wait to see him again.:)

zman

Cyburbian
Not feeling my best this morning....:-$
Watching the NHL Winter Classic from Wrigley though.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
...ZG was looking at the on-line menu where my son works in Berkeley. There are some scrolling pictures of staff next to the menu. "Hey" she says, "there's Alex!" Sure enough, my kid's image is on the world wide web.

Nice menu, BTW. We plan to eat there today. I can't wait to see him again.:)
Have some nice white wine for me!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Happy New Year!

We ended up having a good time with friends last night. I'm still in my jammies and waiting for the pizza delivery guy. Not a bad way to start of the New Year.

My sister and her family headed back to Boston. I'll miss my little nephew. It was fun having him around. He's a cutie.

Tomorrow I work for 2/3 of a day and then drive to Cleveland with my dad to attend his cousin's funeral.

btrage

Cyburbian
My wife got a $500 bonus from her boss at work. She was the only one in the entire office. I'm a proud dude because she busts her ass and really cares about the company.

natski

Cyburbian
Well i spent my new years in Vancouver, and it started snowing as we left the pub! So so so cold but a beautiful place!

Happy New Years to all you Cyburbians!!!!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Happy New Year fellow Cyburbians!

I spent a good chunk of my Thursday afternoon driving around to various retail outlets in northern Metropolitan Detroit in search of a Wii console for the wife and I. I have come to the realization that there is not one for sale at any Target, KMart, Gamestop, Best Buy, or Meijer within an 8 mile radius of Birmingham, Michigan... and let me tell you, that is a lot of Targets, KMarts, Gamestops, Best Buys, and Meijers!

Oh well... I guess the money is better served by sitting in my bank account.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Happy New Year

New Year's Eve was a working holiday for me, pulled an 8-5 at city hall and then afterwards performed in three old time radio shows at the Fest downtown. Mrs. Maister is always kvetching about how it seems I'm never home to ring in the new year at midnight (I've worked the New Year Fest for the last four years) so this year the moment I got done with the third show I hastily packed up all the equipment and broke some speed limits driving back home. I managed to walk in the door at 11:57! Not only was she surprised by this but it also takes some wind out of her sails for when I work next New Year's Eve!;-) Had one champagne toast and promptly trundled off to bed like some decrepit old geezer after getting his Hot Toddy and Lawrence Welk fix.

kms

Cyburbian
One of the things I love about winter is that I can use the screened porch as a temporary refrigerator for things that won't fit into the refrigerator. It really comes in handy.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Anybody at work today ?
Not me. :)

If at work, I can picture it being slow, so more time for Cyburbia. :-D ;)
or possible RJ time.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
|-)
Anybody at work today ?

I am. First day of work in 14 days. I don't even know where to start.

I'm exhausted because during the break my body went back to its normal schedule of sleeping until 11am and staying up until 1am. Now I have to force myself back to the man's schedule. Ugh.

Planit

Cyburbian
Went to bed at a friends house around 2:30 am - wasn't going to drive home after the celebration. Woke up at 8:00 and drove home (Mrs. P had her car there too). I was at the golf course for an 11:00 am round with a pitcher of bloody marys. Crashed around 8:30 last night after traditional cabbage, black eyed peas and ham dinner.

At work now for a few hours of trying to be busy. Very little traffic on the roads this morning.

Hey WSU, go to Best Buy on Friday mornings to look for Wii. The trucks deliver on Thursday nights (at least in our area). That's how I ...I mean Santa... got one this year.

Hey Natski, welcome to the northern hemisphere.

Kjel, hope your enjoyed your Carolina run.

btrage, are you buying earplugs with the bonus (little girls can be very loud, got one too).

RJ & ZG, have fun on the left coast.

zman - drink a :b: it will make you feel better, temporarily.

Bear, Thanks for begining the year properly with a new RTDNTOTO!

bubba, congrats to the dawgs!

To all you Cyburbian Slackers ... Happy New Year! Now get back to work so you can RJ in a couple hours.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I was in bed by 10:30 with not a drop of wine in me. It was cold and very windy so for once no *bang, Bang bang* of teen setting off fireworks all night thus the hounds of hell slept like babies.

At work today but not many other poor souls here and that's fine fewer folks to see me breaking the dress code in jeans and comfy sweater. :a:

This weekend put all the wedding invites together now that all the addresses are done...oh the joy:r:

jsk1983

Cyburbian
One of the things I love about winter is that I can use the screened porch as a temporary refrigerator for things that won't fit into the refrigerator. It really comes in handy.
My parents use their attic, not as convienant but it works.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Isn't this great! For about three months of the year we have a 240 square foot walk-in fridge. Usually, we store two liter bottles, cases of beer and the more akward sized things out there.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Anybody at work today ?

or possible RJ time.

No holiday here in the O.C. but it's so quiet here this morning that I am starting to think that it would have been a good day to use some vacation time.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I am the only person in my office today. In some ways this is great! Others - not so hot. But the day is just getting started. I've brought entertainment, and will be here until 5.

Happy New Year!!:b::b:

Veloise

Cyburbian
No holiday here in the O.C. but it's so quiet here this morning that I am starting to think that it would have been a good day to use some vacation time.
I find that s-l-o-w days at the orifice are almost as good as vacation days at home.

WSU MUP, you might spend some time letting "your fingers do the walking" for that Wii thingie. Customer service is not completely dead, and if a vendor has it, perhaps they will reserve it for you. Another idea: some distance out of the density-packed 'burbs might prove fruitful. I'm thinking Brighton.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Kids nowadays have the most stupid and insipid toys you can imagine! Take Buzz Lightyear for example. How dull.

Now back when I was a youth we had really cool toys that sparked young imaginations. Toys like this -

And this -

Bonus points for anyone who can name either of the toys.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
WSU MUP, you might spend some time letting "your fingers do the walking" for that Wii thingie. Customer service is not completely dead, and if a vendor has it, perhaps they will reserve it for you. another idea: some distance out of the density-packed 'burbs might prove fruitful. I'm thinking Brighton.
I thought about that, but I like getting out of the house... I've got the ants in the pants. And though it was a bit cold out yesterday, part of my Wii adventure was on foot as I live within walking distance of a Target, Meijer, and Game Stop. And at lunch time today I can walk to another Target and Best Buy.

I guess this is all sort of a pointless quest because from surfing the WWW, it seems as if they are generally out of stock all across the country for at least another week or so.

I did let me fingers do some of the walking though... sort of; I called my parents who are currently in Florida and asked them to keep their eyes out as well. I figure I might have better luck in communities full of octogenerians (though I hear that they are a big hit at retirement home community centers).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/84.php

So this guy serves 22 years of a two consecutive lifetime sentence and thanks to DNA testing technology is exonerated. That's time he can never get back.

I wonder if he should maybe get some sort of 'credit for time served' certificates/coupons that he can redeem at any court in the jurisdiction just in case he happens to get convicted of armed robbery or commiting some other crimes in the future (the entire coupon book with a 22 year value oughta be worth at least two counts of fellonious assault, extortion, two breaking and enterings, and 50% discounts on the next 12 moving violations).

It's only fair, you know.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I thought about that, but I like getting out of the house... I've got the ants in the pants. And though it was a bit cold out yesterday, part of my Wii adventure was on foot as I live within walking distance of a Target, Meijer, and Game Stop. And at lunch time today I can walk to another Target and Best Buy.

I guess this is all sort of a pointless quest because from surfing the WWW, it seems as if they are generally out of stock all across the country for at least another week or so.

I did let me fingers do some of the walking though... sort of; I called my parents who are currently in Florida and asked them to keep their eyes out as well. I figure I might have better luck in communities full of octogenerians (though I hear that they are a big hit at retirement home community centers).
BF and I did some Wii searching in the days right after X-mas. No luck here. And when I spoke with some of the store clerks said that the consoles fly off the shelves as soon as they are delivered. Good luck. I'm finding that time has somewhat slowed the desire to own a Wii. (Plus the fact a European vacation might be in the future. I'd rather spend $250 on Scottish garb).

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
I'd talk about how I'm "the only person in the office", but that applies everyday. Part of working in a small town is that I am the whole department.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Reserving high-demand products

My brother says he kept trying to find his alloted two video converter boxes. Out of stock, snapped up as soon as they arrive, etc. He placed an order with Radio Shack, had two of them shipped to his door.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
Happy New Year fellow Cyburbians!

I spent a good chunk of my Thursday afternoon driving around to various retail outlets in northern Metropolitan Detroit in search of a Wii console for the wife and I. I have come to the realization that there is not one for sale at any Target, KMart, Gamestop, Best Buy, or Meijer within an 8 mile radius of Birmingham, Michigan... and let me tell you, that is a lot of Targets, KMarts, Gamestops, Best Buys, and Meijers!

Oh well... I guess the money is better served by sitting in my bank account.
BF and I did some Wii searching in the days right after X-mas. No luck here. And when I spoke with some of the store clerks said that the consoles fly off the shelves as soon as they are delivered. Good luck. I'm finding that time has somewhat slowed the desire to own a Wii. (Plus the fact a European vacation might be in the future. I'd rather spend $250 on Scottish garb).

Try this site:
wiitracker.com

One of my old fraternity brothers stopped by on the 30th and we drank beer, smoked cigars and played my Wii. It was his first time playing and proceeded to kick my butt in every game we played.

zman

Cyburbian
Despite this being a "one-day-in" Friday at work, and then the weekend is upon us, I still felt as if this was a Monday. Every New Year's Day has been depressing for me. I have no idea what it is. The day off, sure. It probably doesn't help that I nurse hangovers on New Years Day too, but there is just something about the day that is so damned depressing to me. Back to the grindstone now, in work and personal life. I have gained 10 pounds over the past month. I want to get back on track with eating right and back to work. The holidays were fun, but I long for some "normalcy" right now. Now that the snow has melted in my yard, it'll be time to clean up the dogs' turds, which have taken over :-c. I really wish that bacon is more of a staple in my everyday diet, but see the previous note about the gaining of 10 pounds...:-$. Next weekend is my first "Mancation" with a handful of friends to my family's cabin. We'll be playing cards, eating good steaks, drinking good beers and whiskeys and thus getting away from our everyday lives for a bit. One guy is on the skids with his wife, another is getting married this year, I just happen to want to get away from my everyday domestic duties and the last friend is just up for a party. Should be good. :6:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am in SC this morning being tortured by the Dragon Lady. I was supposed to be off today :r: Once she is done bugging me I will roust the teenager out of bed and go do something outside and maybe go see the little niece and nephew. My older niece scored a Wii yesterday at the Walmart...she called around 8am, they said they had two and she went right down and got one.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Oh …..my….God….
Can you believe this guy is an officer in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police!

This is all wrong. All wrong. RCMP (‘mounties’) don’t stare at data on computer screens, they ride around on horses and rescue fair maidens in distress. That guy is not mounted on horseback, he isn’t even wearing a ‘Smokey the Bear’ hat or a scrap of red fabric!

zman said:
I really wish that bacon is more of a staple in my everyday diet
There's always Canadian bacon.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I used to wait for a nice cold winter days to defrost my refrigerator. I would put the food in a box and put it out on the porch. Then defrost the fridge, using a fan to speed up the process (the ice also tends to come off in big slabs, which is a lot less messy).

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Oh …..my….God….
Can you believe this guy is an officer in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police!

This is all wrong. All wrong. RCMP (‘mounties’) don’t stare at data on computer screens, they ride around on horses and rescue fair maidens in distress. That guy is not mounted on horseback, he isn’t even wearing a ‘Smokey the Bear’ hat or a scrap of red fabric!
I don't know, I think he fits the Canadian stereotype quite well. He looks like an all around nice guy. Nice little simpy grin, hands clasped politely in his lap. But I do agree, he should be sporting some red. Even if it was just a little maple leaf pin.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't know, I think he fits the Canadian stereotype quite well. He looks like an all around nice guy. Nice little simpy grin, hands clasped politely in his lap. But I do agree, he should be sporting some red. Even if it was just a little maple leaf pin.
Yeah, I may be inadvertently stereotyping. After all, Canada and Canadians are much more diverse than that - everyone is not a mountie! No, some Canadians are hockey players, some are lumberjacks, while others work in breweries or make maple syrup for a living.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Today seems to be the unofficial "Bring your dog to work day" as various employees have their own hounds of hell wandering about giving sloppy slobbery kisses (the BEST kind). I called the other half and asked him to bring our sweet hound of hell in for a visit.

No one can resist the affection* of a beagle

*or is that affliction :-c?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Yeah, I may be inadvertently stereotyping. After all, Canada and Canadians are much more diverse than that - everyone is not a mountie! No, some Canadians are hockey players, some are lumberjacks, while others work in breweries or make maple syrup for a living.
And some are even planners
but it would be hard to tell if they are wearing the universal planner uniform or flannel plaid shirt.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Sgt. Preston Of The Yukon Random

My guess is that the young, somewhat dweeby-looking RCMP dude, has gone through significant training to be a part of that distinguished force. Bet dollars to donuts that his physical ability is better than the mountie in the photo below.

This Bear is also providing a couple quick clips. Check 'em out.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfTJQSj5iYA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcti25dMTb0

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.