• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 5 (2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tradition has called.....this Bear has answered.....

My original plans were to introduce this "catch-all" thread later in the day on this final day of the decade. My evening plans are somewhat jumbled, so I will take the time right here and now......

Proudly prying open the newest Random Thoughts thread. Seems like just yesterday when I popped the top on the first Random thread. Then again, it seems like just yesterday when I was in high school.....and that was ten presidents ago. :-c

Ladies and gentlemen......start your engines.
_____

1st Random Thought of 2010 Thread - Does it seem strange that it was considered normal for the citizens of Petticoat Junction to have drinking water that three women bathed in? Just wondering.

:-c:D

Happy New Year !!!

Bear

mgk920

Cyburbian
No need to apologize for starting the thread now, BUN, after all it *IS* 2010 already in Natski's part of the World.

BTW, BUN, that water tower was to fill the water tank in the tender of the railroad's locomotive.

:p

Mike

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Happy New Year! At least in the Eastern Time Zone in North America.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Who has seen the Full Moon or the Blue Moon ?
I did, while sipping wine in the hot tub last night. To be candid, I saw two full moons. Both were beautiful sights to behold. ;) :p

Happy New Year! At least in the Eastern Time Zone in North America.
I see you had a more exciting New Year's Eve than I did. I was asleep in a chair in the living room when the clock struck midnight. :-x

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I think we can beat last year's 5,003 posts (which may go down after we cull out some multiposts and the like) in this RTDNTOTO thread this year. Whatcha' think?

Maybe I'm getting too old for the whole New Year's Eve thing. Years ago when I was living in Denver, I went with some friends to a large NYE party at a downtown hotel. I saw my ex there with a date, and she was having a great time.. I didn't have a date. It was a miserable time. Since then, My New Year's Eves have been relatively quiet; small get-togethers at the curling club or with a couple of people, going to bed early, that kind of thing.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Didn't see the moon due to cloudy conditions. Hosted a small get together with friends. Had a good time.

Found out I have a new boss. :not:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Woke up this morning with a stuffy nose and a sore throat.:not: What a way to start the new year!

On a good note, my passionfruit margaritas came out very yummy last night.<:D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
I have to tell you, this felt more than a little strange....and sad.....

One of my employees died on Christmas Eve. He was a healthy 52-year old man just a month and a half ago. Cancer was hiding in his body, though, and when it finally made an appearance, he went downhill very quickly.

On Wednesday I was sorting through the paychecks and came across his envelope. Because of holiday period vacations and general end-of-the-year chaos, our payroll folks did not "catch" the paycheck when forwarding the big stack to me. I talked with the HR Director and we sorted-out where the check should be mailed. It was a sad conversation.

Bear

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Snow angles are much more interesting to make when you are face down in the lawn.

Tree skirt night at the bar was a riot. I didn't drink but I still had a blast.

I have to go back to Texas in 18 days to wrap up some business there. Not looking forward to it.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
My self-imposed sabbatical/moratorium is over. Couldn't break the habit of checking in every so often and it was really hard not to respond to some of the posts. I think I'll make it a practice to take a break after every clubn+1 achievement just to counter some of my OCD tendencies.

Veloise

Cyburbian
My self-imposed sabbatical/moratorium is over. Couldn't break the habit of checking in every so often and it was really hard not to respond to some of the posts. I think I'll make it a practice to take a break after every clubn+1 achievement just to counter some of my OCD tendencies.
Welcome back! Hope you got something accomplished with all the newly spared time.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Happy New Year everyone! It's started off on a good note even if I have a hermit in residence. I went to my friend's family's party last night with R.T. and had a great time and we didnt' get home til nearly 3am. R.T. and I woke up this morning at 8:30am and picked up the same friend and we went off to Philly for the Mummers Parade and had a blast and we decided to stay in Philly the rest of the day. Had lunch at a cool place called El Vez, did an architectural tour for the benefit of R.T. who is taking an arch class, shot photos bike friendly practices, went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and there was a free concert there too which we stuck around for. All in all a fabulous day.

The hermit has not acknowledged my existence since my arrival home 37 minutes ago. I foresee an early departure for him tomorrow via train to EWR. Then we are going to Princeton for the kickoff of the Environmental Film Festival :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
This resort I am at has a collection of free range exotic birds. I am about to go kill the rooster that thinks 1am is an appropriate cock-a-doodle-doo time.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
This resort I am at has a collection of free range exotic birds. I am about to go kill the rooster that thinks 1am is an appropriate cock-a-doodle-doo time.
Haha I am having flashbacks of Sri Lanka living in the countryside. Add peacocks and monkeys, both of which are highly annoying noisemakers and you get the picture.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Two friends and 101 guests at this hour of the morning. What gives?

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
T-minus 2 hours and the hermit is gone! We are celebrating by going to the Princeton Environmental Film Festival :)

Otis

Cyburbian
I think we can beat last year's 5,003 posts (which may go down after we cull out some multiposts and the like) in this RTDNTOTO thread this year. Whatcha' think?
I resolve to do my part.

:D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Date Random

Today is January 2, 2010. Otherwise listed as 01-02-2010. You can read this number forward or backward. It is a palindrome.

Bear

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Today is January 2, 2010. Otherwise listed as 01-02-2010. You can read this number forward or backward. It is a palindrome.
Cool! Palindrome day! When the next time the date does this again? Can't think this hard on the weekend :)

I hope everyone is staying warm out there, we are going to have lows in the teens tonight and windchills in the single digits!

natski

Cyburbian
Its raining here- means the cricket is not on. hmmf :not:

But i am off to see Wicked the musical this evening :D

and i bought a whole heap of super cute vintage sewing patterns- i am going to be one busy person!

mgk920

Cyburbian
Cool! Palindrome day! When the next time the date does this again? Can't think this hard on the weekend :)

I hope everyone is staying warm out there, we are going to have lows in the teens tonight and windchills in the single digits!
Well, for those using the 'rest of the World' date format, it happens in just under a month (01-02-2010, as in the first day of the second month of 2010).

:D

BTW, am I not the only one who is getting sick and tired of 'wind chill factor', as it seems to me to be mainly used by the 'popular' press weather guys to sensationalize totally normal weather?

Mike

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
am I not the only one who is getting sick and tired of 'wind chill factor', as it seems to me to be mainly used by the 'popular' press weather guys to sensationalize totally normal weather?
when air temp are single digits, does wind chill really matter ? :D ;) :p

Otis

Cyburbian
I continue to do my part.

BTW November 2, 2011 in the US will be a palindrome: 11/02/2011

Otis

Cyburbian
It's January 3rd and the daffodils have not sprouted yet. Last year they were up on December 31. Okay, that actually would have been the year before last, but last season. Anyway, I'm working towards 5,004.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I've had a great two week vacation. Tomorrow I head back to work and today I feel a cold coming on. Ugh.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Grrr, apparently my fairly new (2009, purchased in May) car doesn't like these last few nights below zero. You would think a vehicle purchased in my part of the world would have a battery that could still work when it gets down to -7.

I went out on New Year's Eve and stayed home on New Year's Day. When I went to run some errands last night the car wouldn't start. Luckly I asked my neighbor across the hall for a jump. I ran my errands and the car started fine at each place. I go out this afternoon to start my car, and the damn battery is dead again. (BTW, I did not leave the lights on :D) I will just have to be late for work tomorrow. This time Kia is going to pay for the jump with their roadside assistance. :-{

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
One way to deal with that battery trouble -
Even though it is a pain to do - remove it and take it inside to keep warm.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grrr, apparently my fairly new (2009, purchased in May) car doesn't like these last few nights below zero. You would think a vehicle purchased in my part of the world would have a battery that could still work when it gets down to -7.

I went out on New Year's Eve and stayed home on New Year's Day. When I went to run some errands last night the car wouldn't start. Luckly I asked my neighbor across the hall for a jump. I ran my errands and the car started fine at each place. I go out this afternoon to start my car, and the damn battery is dead again. (BTW, I did not leave the lights on :D) I will just have to be late for work tomorrow. This time Kia is going to pay for the jump with their roadside assistance. :-{
Yeah my beast doesn't care for the cold either. Check to see what the cold crank amp rating to make sure it is sufficient for your climate. Often times manufacturers just put a standard battery in the car that might not be adequate for your needs. Also see if there is any corrosion on the cables/posts and clean it off if needed.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Odd rcg my Kia has been in week long -15 weather for 3 winters on the original battery. You really should seek a warranty replacement. (And FWIW I have never *knock on wood* had a single warranty visit for this car). Good luck!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Reverse culture shock: 4 January 2009

* Just overheard at a coffee shop: "So, I took my kids to see that Avatar's movie ...". Buffalonians take the genitive case to a whole new level Detroiters would only dream of. (To the many Mitten State esidents on the board, the Buffalo accent sounds like a more intense Michigan accent. Buffalo is supposedly the source of the Great Northern Vowel Shift.) Sometimes even road names are said in the possessive: It's not just "Rite Aid's" and "Wal-Mart's", but also "Sheridan's Drive".

* Yes, the font bigot is emerging big time. Brush Script proliferates in the Buffalo region, even more so than Gill Sans in the UK, or Papyrus in Austin. Once you notice it, it's hard not to see it everywhere.

* The old Polish-Buffalonian accent is disappearing, as its speakers are dying off, and their descendants speak just with the standard nasal Buffalonian drone. I miss it.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Odd rcg my Kia has been in week long -15 weather for 3 winters on the original battery. You really should seek a warranty replacement. (And FWIW I have never *knock on wood* had a single warranty visit for this car). Good luck!
No worries, I am sitting here waiting for Kia's roadside assistance and then it's off to the dealer to have them look at the battery, then finally off to work. Nice short day to ease back into a full week of work.

*Knock on wood*, this is only the second minor issue on my car. The first was a gas cap that was triggering my check engine light. It wasn't sealing proper and was replaced at the dealer in less than 30 minutes.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Nobody in my office never heard of, seen nor played Nok Hockey. :-o

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Not to knock planners, sometimes I ask myself, "where do they find these people" when working with my public sector counterparts. I am sure you say the same thing of us darksiders.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Dandy.... I have some minions you can have..... please take them.

I had a chance to use the fart machine I got for Christmas at the department head staff meeting. I victim was the Police Chief...... good thing he has a great sense of humour.

Last edited by a moderator:

Planit

Cyburbian
I had a chance to use the fart machine I got for Christmas at the department head staff meeting. I victim was the Police Chief...... good thing he has a great sense of humour.
Its always good to be friends with the Police Chief

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
WHY WHY WHY when applying for a professional position with 20+ years experience and a frickin' Masters Degree, do I have to fill out a 6 page non-electronic employment application form that asks, among other things, if I know how to work a copier, a fax, a scanner.... AAAAAARRRRRGGGG!

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
WHY WHY WHY when applying for a professional position with 20+ years experience and a frickin' Masters Degree, do I have to fill out a 6 page non-electronic employment application form that asks, among other things, if I know how to work a copier, a fax, a scanner.... AAAAAARRRRRGGGG!
What's even worse is having to fill out information on your high school, including address and telephone number.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Six pages is a bit much, but the application serves a distinct purpose. The place where you sign the bottom that everything is true, is key.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Six pages is a bit much, but the application serves a distinct purpose. The place where you sign the bottom that everything is true, is key.
I know, I get it... But If I can pass a Dept. of Defense background and security check, why would I lie about my ability to change the toner cartridge.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I know, I get it... But If I can pass a Dept. of Defense background and security check, why would I lie about my ability to change the toner cartridge.
You wouldn't, it's the other idiots I worry about.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's even worse is having to fill out information on your high school, including address and telephone number.
I just did that yesterday. Umm...that was 1992, I have a B.S. and soon will have two masters. Is it really relevant??

kms

Cyburbian
A friend who is in management tells me that employers can't ask applicants the date of high school graduation, as it's a roundabout way to ask a person's age.

Status
Not open for further replies.