• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Hoopla!

Welcome to 2011. In the grande olde tradition, this Bear slides another Random thread your way. Please treat it well as we motor through the coming year. Have a super year, my friends.

Bear :):):):):):)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
First!

ten characters ten characters ten characters

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Happy New Year to our east coast Cyburbians (still 30 minutes away from midnight for the midwest). <:D

natski

Cyburbian
Happy new year everyone! we have been celebrating by going swimming in a waterhole at the national park down the road from me- so nice!:D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
With the Mega Million Lottery jackpot some $ 290 million
would you spent a dollar to buy your own ticket or join an office pool for tuesday's drwing ?
I would.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
1-1-11

Balancing my checkbook this New Year's morn. Just noticed that today is 1-1-11. How nice.
_____

Yes, JNA, the Mega truly is mega. I will buy a few tickets. I always participate in the office pool......I don't want to be one of a handful that remain if the winning ducat is drawn. :-c

Bear

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Celebrated New Year by waking up to gunfire in CA instead of TX. Nothing came down on us so I went back to sleep.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guestimated my federal return and it looks like I will break even or get a couple hundred back. The feds got dodgy with the child tax credit this year...you only get it if your kid is under 17 at year end and guess who turned 17 this year :r: Ah well.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Celebrated New Year by waking up to gunfire in CA instead of TX. Nothing came down on us so I went back to sleep.
I remember that from New Year celebrations in Las Cruces. One time, when I was at a party close to the barrio, at midnight all of us went outside to hear the festivities. After about 30 seconds of the usual gun shots, we heard bursts of automatic weapon fire. :-c Every January 1st, the nightly news from El Paso would do a story on yet another sleeping baby that was killed by a falling bullet. All the PSAs in the world didn't make a dent in the tradition of midnight bang-bang.

Here in The Buff, it's a few people with leftover illegal fireworks from Independence Day.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Where in CA are you at? Stayed at home for the 1st time ever since I was probably 13. the wife, princess and i stayed up watching the karate kid till about 10:30 then some boob tube till midnight. She promptly went to bed at 12:15..so did we :)

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
A few years ago I made a goal of completing a triathlon before I turned 35. Well, 35 is quickly approaching and I have yet to complete that goal. There's a sprint triathlon in July that I'm beginning to think about participating in. From what I've read it appears that one can train for a sprint triathlon in about 3 months. So I have some time to train. I figure I can push through the bike ride and the run, my biggest concern is the swim. :-|

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
A few years ago I made a goal of completing a triathlon before I turned 35. Well, 35 is quickly approaching and I have yet to complete that goal. There's a sprint triathlon in July that I'm beginning to think about participating in. From what I've read it appears that one can train for a sprint triathlon in about 3 months. So I have some time to train. I figure I can push through the bike ride and the run, my biggest concern is the swim. :-|
I assume the sprint is 750 m swim, 20k bike, and 5k run. If that is the case, if you can get in shape for the run, you can relax on the bike and make it through. The swim is first, so you don't drown :) 750m is only 15 down and backs in a normal sized pool. Really not that bad... as long as you aren't in a body of water with currents:)

Good luck! The sense of completion you will feel is great! I would say that if you aren't in shape for any of the three disiplines, 3 months is cutting it close, but if you scheduled on for July or August, I would say 5-7 months is more than enough time to get accustomed to the workouts. But in the end it is really up to you and how well you want to do. If completion = success you will be fine in 3 months :) Have fun, they are a lot of it!!

=============================

Here's to hoping that 2011 is as fruitful as 2010 was for the RTDNTOTO!!!! :D

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
First post from the new job!

Okay, off to lunch. Gonna' be scarce here for a little bit.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I assume the sprint is 750 m swim, 20k bike, and 5k run. If that is the case, if you can get in shape for the run, you can relax on the bike and make it through. The swim is first, so you don't drown :) 750m is only 15 down and backs in a normal sized pool. Really not that bad... as long as you aren't in a body of water with currents:)

Good luck! The sense of completion you will feel is great! I would say that if you aren't in shape for any of the three disiplines, 3 months is cutting it close, but if you scheduled on for July or August, I would say 5-7 months is more than enough time to get accustomed to the workouts. But in the end it is really up to you and how well you want to do. If completion = success you will be fine in 3 months :) Have fun, they are a lot of it!!
15 laps? :-c:-o Ok. That is doable. Maybe. I hope. Better get out the water wings!

My goal is to finish. I'm not concerned with time, just making it over the finish line in one piece!

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I did a triathlon once that started with biking (on exercise bikes) first, then the swim, and the run last. A number of competitors overdid the bike and nearly drowned in the pool. Tough transition from bike to swim and anaerobic swimming is not a good thing.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
I quickly looked for a thread, but could have missed it. There have been so many new threads in the 2 weeks or so that I was on vacation and, thus, as far away from a computer as I could get.

So...

<:D Congrats to Dandy on the wedding! Hope your day and your NOLA trip were perfect! <:D

arcplans

Congrats Dan on the new gigs.

---------------------

So yea, it's raining. Again. Seriously, can someone please shut off the rain already?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am surprised on the Job Posting TexanOkie put up that they say Veteran Preference. Can they do that? I am sure that if they had two equally qualified individuals apply, that if they like military people they would pick that person... but to outright say it seems... I don't know... wrong?

I mean you can't say you prefer lots of things you might actually prefer. How does Military service fit into that? It isn't exactly like gender, but it is like asking for people who have worked for the Federal government in a specific division. You might use that as criteria in the end, but it seems like a legal issue to say it up front.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
I am surprised on the Job Posting TexanOkie put up that they say Veteran Preference. Can they do that? I am sure that if they had two equally qualified individuals apply, that if they like military people they would pick that person... but to outright say it seems... I don't know... wrong?

I mean you can't say you prefer lots of things you might actually prefer. How does Military service fit into that? It isn't exactly like gender, but it is like asking for people who have worked for the Federal government in a specific division. You might use that as criteria in the end, but it seems like a legal issue to say it up front.
Regardless of whether or not it's right, that's fairly standard for any government job posting at any level - state, county, or local - in Oklahoma. Oklahoma has an appreciation and affiliation for the military and military service unlike any state I've ever lived in or visited. You can somewhat see this in its national electoral history. Obama didn't lose all of Oklahoma in '08 - McCain won because of his life and military service held a unique vast popular appeal in the state. In the '04 Democratic primaries, Gen. Wesley Clark carried the state by a landslide. And so on and so forth...

natski

Cyburbian
How far is the 'sprint' tri? The proper distance is what Hink stated, but sometimes it can be shorter. Last time i did a tri, i trained for a month and did ok- but that was a 450m swim, 15km cycle and 4km run. I am doing a Tri in late March that is 500m swim, 15km cycle and 5km run. I hope to get motivated to train soon!

My biggest tip is to use a road bike or at least road tyres and concentrate on the bike/run component- you pick up more time on these compared to the swim (this is coming from someone who is a better swimmer that runner/cyclist!)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Most every local, state, and of course Federal job I've ever seen advertised allows for some sort of veteran's preference. Even on many local jobs where it might not be in the initial or public posting, it is still in the municipality's internal policies (as a Veteran, I used to often call or email HR offices to see if they had such a policy when I was interested in applying - at least in Michigan, NC, and AZ when I was looking around).

The traditional reason for the Federal government offering a preference to Veterans was/is to help level the playing field for applicants who may have spent 3+ years on active duty (I believe 3 is generally the minimum required for 5 points of non-combat or disability related veterans preference) since, presumably the veteran applicant would be disadvantaged compared to other applicants in that they may have taken a few years longer to obtain a college education, may have an education from a less prestigious university because of the relatively lower earnings while they were serving, or waited longer to start a post-military career while they might still have very relevant management, leadership, teamwork, etc. skills.

In the end, even if the Veteran qualifies for 10-points of preference, that usually equates to a very small factor in the decision to contact them for an interview (or eventually offer them a job).

In my experience, local and state governments that offer a veteran's preference do so for the same reasons as the Federal government and usually apply it in the same manner.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
I have decided to get a new moped!!! I have never owned one before and I'm having trouble deciding between 2 models.

The first is a used Piaggio Vespa for about $3,500.00. It has a 150 cc engine, which is cool because I could take it on the expressway/highway and use it to get around the island outside of just the city, though I don't actually plan on doing so.

The second is an Islander for about $1,100.00. It has a 50 cc engine, which is cool because it won't require a motorcycle license or special insurance.

Both options get around 75 miles per gallon :D

Has anyone who has ever owned such a mode of transportation help me decide or give me tips?

arcplans

I have decided to get a new moped!!! I have never owned one before and I'm having trouble deciding between 2 models.

The first is a used Piaggio Vespa for about $3,500.00. It has a 150 cc engine, which is cool because I could take it on the expressway/highway and use it to get around the island outside of just the city, though I don't actually plan on doing so.

The second is an Islander for about $1,100.00. It has a 50 cc engine, which is cool because it won't require a motorcycle license or special insurance.

Both options get around 75 miles per gallon :D

Has anyone who has ever owned such a mode of transportation help me decide or give me tips?
Since you have aspirations of leaving the island, have you looked at shipping the moped out of the islands? That might be a little costly.

Your insurance costs go down if you take a class and get licensed.

Do you have a place store it? They can be easily stolen (lifted into a pick-up)

They are fun as hell:D. Since moving to my current location I have been saving up for one, but i am afraid to get one since it would involve traveling up a very large grade everyday and I need it to at least do 45 on it.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
Since you have aspirations of leaving the island, have you looked at shipping the moped out of the islands? That might be a little costly...

Do you have a place store it? They can be easily stolen (lifted into a pick-up)...
Actually, we have had a slight change of situation, which is why I am looking for personal transportation other than the bus. My partner has received a job offer on the island that we cannot pass up, so we are replanting our roots on this rock in the middle of the ocean for a bit :) Since we share a car and she will be commuting, she wins the car. I walk to work most of the time, but want something to get around town in when the car is not available to me.

I actually have the perfect place to store it. Our building has a small maintenance room on the ground floor and the only things in it are a weed whacker and some dog crates. It is the perfect size to squeeze a little moped into and lock up at night :D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Public Credit Card/Money outrage over a appointed board's Christmas party cost that included -
five bottles of Opus One wine at $250 each
a $477 gratuity
for a
$3,079 tab

Local newspaper's online article has a copy of the receipt:. :-c :-o

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

Congrats on the new gig. I am hoping that I will get the gig I interviewed for last week. They called today to ask how much I earned, how much notice I would have to give, and how quickly relocation could take place. They told me they would be in touch shortly. Hopefully it bodes well 'cuz I gotta get out of this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Stats! I demand RTDNTOTO stats!
Do you mean like these -

Random Thought Progress Report - Posts 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, Closing # on the 31st.

# 5 - 2010 - 03-04, 05-09, 07-26, 09-22, 5563
# 4 - 2009 - 02-19, 04-24, 07-13, 10-07, 5,004
# 3 - 2008 - 04-04, 07-07, 09-23, 12-22, 4,085
# 2 - 2007 - 03-10, 05-19, 07-24, 10-11, 4,862
adjusted by the 50 posts that were listed in #1 and posted on & after 01/01
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showpost.php?p=565080&postcount=5025

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
I hate the Leland Stanford Junior... University Marching Band. I guess I'm not "enlightened" enough to be able to fully appreciate snarky scatter bands from elite academic institutions, regardless of how good their music is. (I'm also not a big fan of most Ivy League bands [minus Cornell], especially Yale's, and other schools like Rice, William & Mary, etc.)

I may be somewhat biased due to my experiences in traditional marching bands, including the Pride of Oklahoma. However, had I wound up at an Ivy League school or Stanford, I wouldn't have wanted to join their band, and, as a result, I probably would have been a whole lot less interested in the school's athletics programs.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Congrats on the new gig. I am hoping that I will get the gig I interviewed for last week. They called today to ask how much I earned, how much notice I would have to give, and how quickly relocation could take place. They told me they would be in touch shortly. Hopefully it bodes well 'cuz I gotta get out of this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That sounds encouraging. I haven't gotten a random call like that after an interview yet, so it sounds like you are definitely in the running. Good luck!

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Public Credit Card/Money outrage over a appointed board's Christmas party cost that included -
five bottles of Opus One wine at $250 each
a $477 gratuity
for a
$3,079 tab

Local newspaper's online article has a copy of the receipt:. :-c :-o
Opus One is expensive and from what I have heard overrated. You would think that they would have gone with something more low key... like Oliver :)

Gotta love "work" dinners.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I hope you get the job! :)

TerraSapient, I can't give you any tips regarding the moped, but I have to say: Vespas are sooo cool!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I can understand that the feedback is useful to the consultants but I don't like having to call consultants and tell them why we didn't choose them. I don't like confrontation and I don't like to disappoint people. :r::-$

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Opus One is expensive and from what I have heard overrated. You would think that they would have gone with something more low key... like Oliver :)

Gotta love "work" dinners.
I thought it was quite good. At the winery 10 years ago it was 25 dollars a taste :-o

I didn't think it was that good. What can be?

Status
Not open for further replies.