• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Annual Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own threads
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blide

Cyburbian
Had our first department meeting with the new county administrator today where we gave our introductions and stuff. One planning tech gave this whole spiel about how she was hired thirty years ago in an effort to combat racial inequality in the county government. Then she proceeds to say she used to manage people but hasn't received a single promotion in thirty years because of racial discrimination. The administrator stops her and asks what she actually does at work where this lady promptly lists all this stuff totally unrelated to her actual job and how she used to hand draw maps 20 years ago. In reality this lady literally does nothing and fortunately her long drawn out spiel reflected how useless an employee she actually is.

It was one of the most awkward things I've ever seen in a meeting. Everybody is trying to hold back laughter as this lady essentially nails her own coffin in front of the new administrator. This lady was completely oblivious to how poor an impression she made on the administrator. The only reason this particular lady has been around so long is that she has served on city council here for 20 years but has become quite conceited as a result. I doubt that'll deter this new county administrator from getting rid of her in the near future though.

I honestly have no idea what this lady will do without her job since she's worked here her in entire career. Her city council stipend isn't enough to survive off of and she has no meaningful skills beyond "drawing maps".

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find it hard to believe that the State of Florida Dept of Edumacashun will only accept a money order or cashier's check for a transcript request. What century are they in? I hadn't gotten a money order in 30 years: 5 bucks to buy one worth $12? Holy crap.

Post office. $1.15-$1.55 depending on the amount.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I don't even know what a D1 athlete is. :-$

Neither do I, but I wasn't going to admit it......

I'm glad my kids are more athletic than me. I move sort of like Andre the Giant - if Andre had been less agile. :)

Planit

Cyburbian
The answer is NCAA Division 1

Now the next question is the differences between Division 1, 2, and 3.

Schools are members of NCAA Divisions 1, 2, 3 or NAIA based on enrollment, curriculum, funding, etc. In football, Division 1 is split into FCS (formerly D1AA) and FBS (formerly D1)

Another D1 athlete here - soccer

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Got a phone call that Junior tossed his cookies at school.

Day just keeps on getting better and better.:not:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Geek/Nerd Alert:cool:

Was chatting with a person who graduated HS with. Our conversation reminded me of a high geek moment. A friend and I had a competition in a world history class we were taking. We wanted to see you could ace the most history quizzes. I think I finally missed a question on one of the quizzes. As I recall, I got distracted by a cheerleader who was in the class.:-$

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians

Aaah, the perennial tossing of the cookies. You know it could have been worse, right? Yes. I think you do. Hope Jr. feels better, Maister.

Geek/Nerd Alert:cool:
A friend and I had a competition in a world history class we were taking. We wanted to see you could ace the most history quizzes. I think I finally missed a question on one of the quizzes. As I recall, I got distracted by a cheerleader who was in the class.:-$

I am so disappointed in you! She shows a little thigh and you miss a perfectly titillating history question? You can have thigh view-age AND history quiz perfection. If you add a sandwich to that, I think that's pretty much a college professor's lunch hour.

otterpop

Cyburbian

Look on the bright side, Junior tossed his cookies at school - not at home or in your car. You are getting your money's worth out of the school assessment.

And the janitor has all the best products to handle it (he is a professional).

And hopefully, you got to spend a few hours on sick leave - watching Dr. Phil or The Doctors or whatever.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian

My kid caused a chain reaction of barfing when he tossed his in the school cafeteria in 4th grade. I was about to walk into a meeting an hour away. The school nurse was kinda annoyed with me when I finally got there.

Me? Second grade, minutes before my class at the Episcopal school was to head to the auditorium for our part in the Christmas pageant. I took out the "scroll" I was to carry, and had worked on for days. Also the poor kid in the desk in front of mine, and his scroll. :-$

Hope your little guy is feeling better, Maister.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
After my shower this morning, I surprised myself by tipping the scales at 175 lbs. :c: I've just felt bigger lately.

(Sorry, I couldn't fine the diet/weight loss thread using the search function.)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Thanks all for the well-wishes for Junior. He definitely has a 'bug' and is staying home.

Anyone in the mood for a silly thread, or should we just stick to serious topics today?

Tide

Cyburbian
The company I work for has openings for paid internships in Fredericksburg, VA - Oakland, CA - and Oceanside, CA
Positions for researchers (entry level) and analyst open too.
PM me if you are interested in details.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If you ever want to get Dan to respond to a thread, all you have to do is evaluate a car.

zman

Cyburbian
I like listening to my animal control officer's county dispatch radio while he is gone...

Now if the PD would just tell me where traffic patrol is set up so I can choose a speedy route home, we'll be good. 8-!:h:

otterpop

Cyburbian
Few things are as cute as a young mom pulling a Red Flyer with a toddler inside. Extra points for cuteness if said toddler is a girl with a pretty hat.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
YMfue.jpg

DzV2K.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
When did the song 'Kum Ba Yah' come to be regarded with such cynical connotations?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
When did the song 'Kum Ba Yah' come to be regarded with such cynical connotations?

If you went to Catholic school in the 1970s, you'd know why.

A wild ass prediction: in a few years, people will mock the phrase We have much to learn from them, usually used in a "noble savage" context to express admiration for some "wise" cultural aspect of a developing nation or exotic people, in the way they do for "Kumbaya" today.

Ahhh, yes. necklacing. A beloved custom based on a rich heritage that dates back thousands of years, one which brings the community together in a spirit of unity and cooperation. We have much to learn from them.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
After the last two days (and prior 7 months) I swear that I am going to resort to reporting code violations to the Super Mayor's twitter feed to get some reaction or action out of the city. I have lodged 4 complaints and the housing department has lodged an additional 2 complaints on an occupied problem property that adjoins two row houses that I will renovate. It has shared sewer lateral that is broken between the houses and the sewer main. The problem property has sewage backup in their basement and the two above ground floors are occupied with tenants, there is black mold everywhere and the stench is overwhelming. Finally, FINALLY code enforcement showed up today as a dog and pony show to the consultant doing an evaluation on their department. The mofo field supervisor asked me why I didn't call it in before....I said I did 6 time and FWIW I spoke to you personally for 20 minutes in December about the escalating problem and you assured me that you would personally go out and inspect it yourself. He beat a hasty retreat from talking to me any further.

Interim solution is that the slumlord had to relocate his tenants temporarily, the water to the building is shut off, and he has to contract with a plumber and apply for sidewalk and road opening permits for the install. I don't think he knows that it takes a full two weeks to get those permits out of the city before work can commence. :D

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
We are about to have a new leader on the "Leader Board." It will happen any day now... the torch will be passed... :brofist:

EDIT: You ever wake up and not know what day it is? Right, it's Saturday and I don't have go to work....it's Saturday, right? Shake me.

EDIT 2: The pool water is at 90°F. I skinny-dipped after dinner last night.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If you went to Catholic school in the 1970s, you'd know why.

A wild ass prediction: in a few years, people will mock the phrase We have much to learn from them, usually used in a "noble savage" context to express admiration for some "wise" cultural aspect of a developing nation or exotic people, in the way they do for "Kumbaya" today.

Ahhh, yes. necklacing. A beloved custom based on a rich heritage that dates back thousands of years, one which brings the community together in a spirit of unity and cooperation. We have much to learn from them.

GAAAH! I did not bother to click on that link until now - how gruesome! I guess I just assumed it was a link to a wiki article about native villages stringing seashells together - after all, it was written using Papyrus!:-c

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Somebody got caught overloading the taco meat with chili powder tonight at dinner. My nasal passages are still trying to recover. :-{

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Sunday Kind Of Randoms

A quiet Sunday morning in NW Ohio. The only sound is the gentle slamming of olde fingers on black keys as this Bear walks the sidewalks of Cyburbia.....

Recycling Center Random - I probably mentioned this before. Yesterday I took a load of newspapers and knocked-down cardboard boxes to the recycling center bins. Closest bins to me are in Lucas County (I am in Fulton County) at Toledo Express Airport. Just wondering if my rugged Tundra uses more energy points driving to and back from the bins than is saved by the act of recycling. Just wondering.

What the hell is an "energy point"?

Wedding Random - Went to a wedding on Friday night. Who the hell gets married on a Friday? Anybody who wants to save considerable dollars on hall rental.

Catholic Bear Random - My first 6 years of elementary school were spent at Gesu Catholic Grade School. The nuns were very mean, especially Sister Mary Josephia. Those years probably explain a lot about me.

Wow Random - I have been strolling these Cyburbian sidewalks since May 31, 2003. Wow! Sorry about your luck.

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
This evening I happened upon the old Gloria Gaynor alien Survive (pre-You tube) video and the kid wandered out and said "hey, I remember that!". He was maybe 6 when it was one of the first wide-spread 'net videos. I remember my boss at the time almost wet his pants watching that.

On a kid-related note, he's going to the community college tomorrow to take his class placement exam (hopefully to demonstrate he doesn't need to take remedial classes)and register for his first college semester.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Catholic Bear Random - My first 6 years of elementary school were spent at Gesu Catholic Grade School. The nuns were very mean, especially Sister Mary Josephia. Those years probably explain a lot about me.

Maybe that accounts for this.

The number of religiously unaffiliated in area soars
Nearly half of residents in Buffalo Niagara region considered "unclaimed" by a religious group.

From the article (Buffalo News, 5 May 2012):

Catholicism, most mainline Protestant denominations, Judaism and some evangelical denominations in the Buffalo Niagara region experienced huge membership declines between 2000 and 2010, according to the Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies, which last week released the results of the latest U.S. Religion Census.

The study also showed exponential growth of the local Muslim community, which is now estimated at 18,483 people in Erie and Niagara counties, up from about 5,400 a decade ago.

That makes Islam the second most-practiced world religion in Western New York, behind Christianity.

Judaism slipped to third, with a total of 8,084 adherents in Buffalo Niagara, down from an estimate of 20,150 in 2000.

The Buffalo Niagara region had a population loss of less than 3 percent -- about 34,000 people -- between 2000 and 2010. At the same time, membership in a religious tradition fell by 31 percent, or more than a quarter of a million people.

"That's a pretty big drop," noted Dale E. Jones, who conducted data analysis and mapping for the 2010 U.S. Religion Census.

The unclaimed category consists of 514,314 people and is now the single largest segment of the Buffalo Niagara population, when compared with the area's religious groups.

[snip]

Catholicism alone lost more than a third of its members in Erie and Niagara counties -- 217,944 parishioners in all -- over the last decade, according to the census.

A lot of my friends back home are culturally Catholic; celebrating holidays, sending their kids to Catholic school, a valued rosary always on hand. Ask them if they believe in God, and the answer is often "I don't know" or "no".

If we were all so sure of the existence of God, as presented by the Jewish and Christian Bibles, we'd be living life with the same kind of fear that exists in day-to-day North Korea, that a single misstep would earn us eternal damnation, in the same way that expressing disappointment at this month's rice ration would get you and three generations of your family shipped off from Pyongyang to Camp 22. The way most of us live our day-to-day lives is so far from the Christian, Jewish or Muslim ideal that I think most of us are, deep in our hearts, agnostic or atheist. I think we want to believe; we hope that there's some higher power out there. I think we also hope that higher power is a kind, loving, nonjudgmental God, one who recognizes that even with what see as our flaws, we're still the results of the forces they set in motion billions of years ago.

Back to your regular programming.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
doing I and I inspections today so yes, I smell like $%^& - a far cry from cruise ship inspections for certain...:h:

otterpop

Cyburbian

Bear

I did six and a half years of Catholic school - 2.5 in middle school and four in high school. I do not think it was my mother's intention that parochial school education would drive me away from Catholicism and organized religion. But that pretty much did it.

btrage

Cyburbian
I did six and a half years of Catholic school - 2.5 in middle school and four in high school. I do not think it was my mother's intention that parochial school education would drive me away from Catholicism and organized religion. But that pretty much did it.

My 8 years of Catholic school did it for me. We do not attend church on a regular basis, but my daughters like going to church more than I ever did. Sometimes they even go with my mom to Catholic mass. If you force people (children) into something, they will not embrace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.