• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Annual Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own threads
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
RJ has had a problem with his contacts for the last several days, coming home from work Mon at 8:30, and not wearing the contact in his right eye (well, he wore it today). Tonight it got excruciatingly painful, and after 2 "emergency number" calls to his eye doc weren't returned, I took him to the emergency room. Yep, "pink eye". I'm thinking of everything he's touched after rubbing his eye and then I've touched.... Anyway, talk about NO WAIT, he checked in at the desk and was whisked away by the time I parked the car. We were there maybe 30 min. It has to be a record. He's feeling a little better.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I think that I am going to have a Random thought at least 4 times a day. I think.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I saw this odd looking Navy ship in the Gulf this afternoon.

Perhaps the Cyburbia Navy buffs can give us an idea of the purpose of the vessel. The little I know, it has something to do with littoral warfare.

Navy_ship.jpg

Very cool to see one in the wild.

When I was in the Marines and in a smaller unit that was constantly deploying aboard ships, they were just announcing these ships would be joining the fleet in the coming years. As Marines we were really interested in these ships since one of the goals is for them to replace the amphibious assault ships used for troop transport that make up the landing force section of the fleets. In particular, they should eventually be replacing the smaller transport ships like the USS Ashland (a "landing ship dock") and the USS Austin (a "landing platform dock"). The largest ships in the landing forces, the LHAs, are due to be replaced by the new "America Class" beginning next year.

I've served on the USS Belleau Wood (LHA-3), USS Kearsarge (LHD-3), USS Saipan (LHA-2), USS Austin (LPD-4), and the USS Blue Ridge (LCC-19) and been on probably 10 or 15 other ships for anywhere from 2 to 7 days at a time (mostly other amphibious assault ships).

Veloise

Cyburbian
What a way to go!

Yesterday I pedalled (surprise!) to a rehearsal just a mile away. Decided to take my venerable horn instead of the nice shiny one. Decided to not use my trailer.

So I'm riding in the traffic lane in my typical vehicular style, and noticed that fellow road users (drivers) were giving me less space, urgently passing only to wait at the next light, etc. The trailer seems to afford more courtesy (probably because an overtaking driver assumes there's a child in it).

One of the near-passes inspired the thought: if I get killed doing this, the obituary will be a fun read.

I'm sure I'll run across a FB snapshot of me on my weird-looking foldie bike with a huge ancient tuba strapped on my back.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
RJ has had a problem with his contacts for the last several days, coming home from work Mon at 8:30, and not wearing the contact in his right eye (well, he wore it today). Tonight it got excruciatingly painful, and after 2 "emergency number" calls to his eye doc weren't returned, I took him to the emergency room. Yep, "pink eye". I'm thinking of everything he's touched after rubbing his eye and then I've touched.... Anyway, talk about NO WAIT, he checked in at the desk and was whisked away by the time I parked the car. We were there maybe 30 min. It has to be a record. He's feeling a little better.

RJ has stink eye?

Stink-Eye.jpg

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I bought some homemade horseradish sauce at the farmer's market next to my office during lunch today and was all excited to eat it on some pretzels this afternoon. Of course, when I go to the office vending machines (for probably the first time in more than a year) there are no pretzels. :-@

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
One the drive back to the office after an off-site meeting I almost rear-ended the car in front of me staring at an attractive man. ;):D:p:h::a:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
One the drive back to the office after an off-site meeting I almost rear-ended the car in front of me staring at an attractive man. ;):D:p:h::a:

My dad was once walking through a parking lot and got hit by a car backing out of its parking space. The impact literally knocked him out of his shoes, but he was otherwise unhurt. He claims he was distracted looking at a very scantily clad attractive woman.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Well I only made it to two random thoughts.... I thought I would do better...

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I will be spending part of my Memorial Day weekend traveling out of state... for a funeral. The husband of a family member died suddenly of a heart attack a few days ago. He was only in his early 50s. We are all in shock. He was a wonderful husband and father to two great kids, ages 14 and 11.

:(

I can't find an emoticon that adequately expresses how I feel.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Condolences to you and your extended family. Have a safe trip and celebrate the good memories with all concerned.

Planit

Cyburbian
Anybody else like the Mio flavorings for water? We've been drinking the berry and the citrus ones. Very tasty mixed with v0dk@ too.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The office parking lot is full but there must only be about 20% of our department here today. I've never taken an extra day off to turn a three day weekend into a four day one. I need to wise up and do that one of these times. I considered it for today but ultimately decided against it, I'm still considering using some hours and taking the afternoon off though.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Anybody else like the Mio flavorings for water? We've been drinking the berry and the citrus ones. Very tasty mixed with v0dk@ too.

I've been using Mio for several months now (never liked drinking water by itself...need some flavor). Good stuff. In particular like the Orange-Tangerine, Blueberry Lemonade, and Strawberry-Watermelon.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The office parking lot is full but there must only be about 20% of our department here today. I've never taken an extra day off to turn a three day weekend into a four day one. I need to wise up and do that one of these times. I considered it for today but ultimately decided against it, I'm still considering using some hours and taking the afternoon off though.

Glad to see you changing your thinking toward "the Zen of RJing on a friday" specially before a 3 day weekend. ;)

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians

It's nice to hear women admit that they look at attractive men...it makes me feel less....whatever I feel about how I notice attractive women and sometimes almost rear-end cars :-$

beach_bum

Cyburbian

I've been using Mio for several months now (never liked drinking water by itself...need some flavor). Good stuff. In particular like the Orange-Tangerine, Blueberry Lemonade, and Strawberry-Watermelon.

I'm a big fan of the Berry-Pomegranate. They fit nicely in my desk drawer for a little pick me up.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I can't recall the last time I felt the need for a three day weekend as badly as now.:(

Hmmm do we need a 'Mio water corporate shill' thread;)

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
It is so quiet today. I can hear that buzz, you know? When there's no sound so all you hear is your own ears buzzing? And Elvis' ghost sometimes, but mostly the buzzing.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
*******NEWSFLASH********

Reliable sources report dandy_warhol is going to start a great new FAC thread this afternoon. It is reportedly funny, timely, and poignant. I can hardly wait to see what it is!!!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't know about buzzing, but we have a serious case of crickets chirping here. I think the phone has rang twice the whole day.

Well then it's most fortunate for us that dandy is going to start that really entertaining and engaging FAC thread. I wish she would hurry up and post it already.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Maybe we ought to bump the 'crickets chirping' thread?

No need to do that. Like I said, this place is going to get hopping once dandy posts that awesome new thread. Expectations are great that it will be most memorable.

hilldweller

Cyburbian
No need to do that. Like I said, this place is going to get hopping once dandy posts that awesome new thread. Expectations are great that it will be most memorable.

Well I'm getting impatient. Maybe I'll just bump a random thread that best expresses the spirit of the upcoming holiday weekend.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Call of the year:

Me – hello Community Planning this is TOFB, may I help you?

Caller – yes, can you tell me the zoning of 403 w 5th street

Me – sure, hang on while I look that up

Caller – It is across the street from the Courthouse

Me - yes it is; OK I can see the block, there is mixed zoning there, what is the address again?

Caller – 403 w 5th. It is just down the street from Davenport City Hall – you can see it from your office

Me – yes it is just down the street. However, I can’t seem to find the specific address – it’s on the north side of 5th, right?

Caller – yes

Me - are you sure about the address?

Caller – positive.

Me – is it next to a parking lot? Could it be 503 W 5th?

Caller. Maybe . . .

long pause

. . . this is Davenport WASHINGTON, right?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It is Friday 4:27 pm. right before the Memorial Day weekend kicks off. My office has been inundated with tall grass/weeds complaints the last 45 minutes or so.:-| WTF? Why are people making their hate calls to rat on their neighbors now? Do they honestly think someone is going to race out there in the last hour of the day to swiftly deal with the evildoers?:r:

wahday

Cyburbian
It is Friday 4:27 pm. right before the Memorial Day weekend kicks off. My office has been inundated with tall grass/weeds complaints the last 45 minutes or so.:-| WTF? Why are people making their hate calls to rat on their neighbors now? Do they honestly think someone is going to race out there in the last hour of the day to swiftly deal with the evildoers?:r:

They want the neighborhood to look good for the Memorial Day bash they are planning...

hilldweller

Cyburbian
I'm waiting for an incomplete board submittal to come in any minute, carried in my a recent immigrant with a limited grasp of the english language

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

Hey, I didn't know your were on the panhandle!! You should have given me a call and we could have done lunch. :D

You'd never have that problem where we live... :r:

What am I, chopped liver? :eek:| :h:

otterpop

Cyburbian
On the drive back to the office after an off-site meeting I almost rear-ended the car in front of me staring at an attractive man. ;):D:p:h::a:

It's nice to hear women admit that they look at attractive men...it makes me feel less....whatever I feel about how I notice attractive women and sometimes almost rear-end cars :-$

Don't 'cha just hate how women oogle us like we were meat? Okay, not really.

This morning a lady in a big truck almost ran me over in the crosswalk. I just wanted to yell, "Hey, lady, my eyes are up here!"

She made me feel so cheap and dirty.

But she was driving too fast for me to thank her. :D ;)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
What were you doing on 5-31-03? This Bear was taking his first walk in Cyburbialand. So, what has happened since then?

Told y'all about De Noc. Endlessly.
Shared some fun moments.
Shared some not-so-fun moments.
Started numerous threads, many of which enabled crickets.
Authored the infamous Random Thoughts threads, a grande tradition.
Co-hosted the Death Pool threads. Yeah, yeah.....very late on updates this year, yadda.
Posted over 9000 times.
Lumbered over to Stanfests in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Ann Arbor. Bears lumber, donchaknow?!
Watched, via the magic of this here interweb thingy, as numerous Cyburbians came and went.
Felt a real sense of loss when the death of Chet was announced.
Shared my somewhat varied musical tastes.
Bragged about my homeland, NW Ohio, Toledo, Swanton, very rural Henry County.
Kept all up-to-date on that patch of America known as The Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Berated and praised my Detroit Tigers and Detroit Red Wings.
Shouted from the highest hill, Go Blue!
Screamed in glory then pain as my Pittsburgh Steelers won a couple Super Bowls and then lost one.
Provided details (sometimes way too much) about my life, loves, marriages, relationships, yadda.
Smiled as my friends from Cyburbia all piled into my rugged Tundra for a long, fun ride.

Thanks for the swell ride. Hope to enjoy many more miles.

Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.