• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 8 (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Bear Up North said:
My fellow Cyburbians:

As we welcome in a new year, we sadly say "goodbye" to an old friend and with the grin that made slackers famous, we welcome a new friend.

The RANDOM THOUGHTS THREAD has been part of our lives for many a post. The thread has given us reason to laugh, made us cry, once in a while encouraged a wink or two. Even though tagged with a RANDOM line, the thread was often not so "random". Cyburbians used it to test the waters on a thought and would, once in a while, create a thread with a central theme first posted on the Random Thread.

The original Random Thread will be quietly laid to rest. The ideas, thoughts, observations, complaints, shouts of joy, exclamations of disgust.....they will still be in the archived files. But we all know that time makes us forget, and there are many things that were shared in the original thread that time will HELP us forget.

As we begin to fill this new (and exciting! ) thread with our "randoms", let's take a moment to thank all of those who contributed to the original thread. But more importantly.....let's roll out the red Cyburbian carpet for "newbies" and others to join us. We look forward to a better world.....jump-started on this 3rd day of January, 2007.....go forth and gather thy randoms.

Oh yeah.....

Road trip.

Bear
As we say hello to a new year, we should take a moment to say good bye and remember an old friend who has left us on his final Road Trip. Each year we always gave Bear Up North the opportunity to throw the ceremonial 'opening pitch' to kick off Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own. Bear is no longer with us to do so, but let us honor his memory by using his very own words he used to describe this thread and what it meant to him each year to inaugurate the Random Thoughts thread. Mike, your loss makes us very sad, but we will continue to keep a special place open in our hearts for you as long as we have random thoughts to say. :tb:

Veloise

Cyburbian
Third!

And I got a "send" in to my local humane society, with a notice to Bear's Katie.

kms

Cyburbian
I'm completely out of Random Thoughts for today. Happy New Year!

dw914er

Cyburbian
First page! Woohoo!

Happy New Year to the East Coast Cyburbians! Cheers to the rest as we approach 2013! :beers:

beach_bum

Cyburbian
It's 2013 here on the east coast! Happy New Year to all, here's to a peaceful and happy new year.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Posts per day for the past few days.

MNDTh.png

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I just thought I would post on the first page before I head out on my early morning New Years Day walk.

Happy New Year Cyburbia!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
An emotional opening to the 2013 RT Thread. That must have been difficult, Maister. Job well done. Thank you. :tb:

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
As we say hello to a new year, we should take a moment to say good bye and remember an old friend who has left us on his final Road Trip. Each year we always gave Bear Up North the opportunity to throw the ceremonial 'opening pitch' to kick off Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own. Bear is no longer with us to do so, but let us honor his memory by using his very own words he used to describe this thread and what it meant to him each year to inaugurate the Random Thoughts thread. Mike, your loss makes us very sad, but we will continue to keep a special place open in our hearts for you as long as we have random thoughts to say. :tb:
Well-said. Thanks, Maister, for bringing a tear to my eye this first day of 2013.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
An emotional opening to the 2013 RT Thread. That must have been difficult, Maister. Job well done. Thank you. :tb:
Seems Bear provided his own poignancy. Not much we could do to improve on it. But thanks.

Tide

Cyburbian
Can I still get in on the first page?

New Years Day morning isn't the same when you have kids.... <:D

michaelskis

Cyburbian
And, mendelman, raw vegetables are awesome!
That is one of my resolutions! Eat more raw fruits and veggies.

In bed and asleep at 12:45 and awake at 6... Only had 3 drinks all night so other than tired, feel good this morning.

Great Job Maister! Bear would be proud. And cheering on U of M later today.

Tide

Cyburbian
Ah, the sound of the coffee grinder first thing in the morning. :c:

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Page two: my sister got engaged at midnight...lots of trips home in my near future!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
so we don't have end of the year rush/frenzy to 9327 we only need 25-26 post per day every day. That is manageable.

if our goal is 10,000 we will need 27-28 posts per day every day.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
so we don't have end of the year rush/frenzy to 9327 we only need 25-26 post per day every day. That is manageable.

if our goal is 10,000 we will need 27-28 posts per day every day.
Well, now that we are all warmed up it shouldn't be too tough to maintain 1 page of randoms per day. Look at us already passing the goal!

To start off the new year, I will be renewing my Cyburbian Plus membership here soon Dan! Just have to buy a few baby items and pay some student loans first. 2013 will be a tight year with MW not yet working again, but we should be okay.

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that my employer will pay up to 95% the tuition toward my PhD, so I have to start studying for the GRE again too and get some applications out to nearby Universities. I hope to start no later than 2014.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Unbelieveably, I was still up at midnight to usher in the new year. Usually I just wake up when I hear more than the usual amount of gunfire starting in my neighborhood.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unbelieveably, I was still up at midnight to usher in the new year. Usually I just wake up when I hear more than the usual amount of gunfire starting in my neighborhood.
I even slept through that.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Happy New Year, Cyburbia! I shaved off my goatee last night (no I hadn't had too much to drink). It's something I do every decade or so. On the positive side, it's already growing back!

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am sorry that I missed the end, but I had a great time fighting the good fight for most of the day.

So excited for 2013 around these parts. You are some good people.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I hate the Rose Parade. (Why did they include the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band? What a bunch of assclowns and fucktards.) Now that I think about it, I hate all parades. Useless.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
There is the cutest little all-natural baby boutique around the corner from our house. I love the place, but they are seriously never open. How on earth do little businesses like that stay in business?

Their hours are M-F 10-4 and Saturday 10-6. They are closed every holiday. Earlier this week, they advertised a big New Year's Sale for today. I was so excited because I would actually be able to go since I have the day off work. Well, we were planning to go about an hour ago, but SeaMonkey decided he was hungry and you know how babies derail schedules. Sure enough, they just posted an update that they would be closing early (at that very moment, in fact) because the other shops near them were all closed. WTH kind of reason is that? They will be holding the sale tomorrow instead. I cannot go tomorrow since I have to work.

How do they make any $$$?

Tide

Cyburbian
There is the cutest little all-natural baby boutique around the corner from our house. I love the place, but they are seriously never open. How on earth do little businesses like that stay in business?

Their hours are M-F 10-4 and Saturday 10-6. They are closed every holiday. Earlier this week, they advertised a big New Year's Sale for today. I was so excited because I would actually be able to go since I have the day off work. Well, we were planning to go about an hour ago, but SeaMonkey decided he was hungry and you know how babies derail schedules. Sure enough, they just posted an update that they would be closing early (at that very moment, in fact) because the other shops near them were all closed. WTH kind of reason is that? They will be holding the sale tomorrow instead. I cannot go tomorrow since I have to work.

Internet?

dw914er

Cyburbian
I hate the Rose Parade. (Why did they include the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band? What a bunch of assclowns and fucktards.) Now that I think about it, I hate all parades. Useless.
I'm glad I didn't have to perform in the Rose Parade when I was in my high school marching band. I typically dislike parades as well.

Otis

Cyburbian

You ought to send them a copy of your post. Maybe they will learn something. It sounds like they are a hobby business.

In other news, some fucktards were setting off fireworks at 2:30 this morning. Our dog Solomon woke me up as he was beside himself and would not be reassured. I had to sit with him for about half an hour, just petting him and talking in a soothing voice. Thunder scares him, too, but I think we get more fireworks than thunderstorms here.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
If you use the word "silos" in a sentence, and you are not talking about farms or missiles, yer doing it wrong...

That is all.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Their hours are M-F 10-4 and Saturday 10-6.
I've posted about this before: it's not uncommon for businesses in my hometown that have different hours for each day of the week, and are closed for various third-tier holidays like All Saint's Day, St. Joseph's Day, and the like.

tBGG3.png

Union barber shops in Buffalo are also infamous for oddball hours; closed Sunday and one random day of the week, and often closed on random days throughout the summer for "fishing".

Here in Hippie Valley, many businesses close or have limited hours during academic breaks.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Mike Rowe did a Dirty Jobs piece a few years ago on disassembling Rose Parade floats a week or two into January.

Think that one through a bit....

+o(

Mike

TOFB

Cyburbian
The 'floats' are made by professional construction companies using the best labor possible - - free. They are nothing but rolling commercials getting airtime. As for the bands, why don't they tell how much money each family needs to pony up for the honor of marching? No, I didn't watch.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Happy New Year!!

Last night I made the sweet potato & pepper pasta dish that dandy posted. I did make a few changes - used cilantro instead of garlic, no parsley, and used a different type of pasta. Came out great!!! I had it for dinner, and had three helpings left over (hubby didn't eat any). So today for lunch I had it again. And I'm looking forward to eating for lunch again tomorrow!! Yum Yum!

I nominate Dandy as the Cyburbian Awesome Recipe Finder. Who's with me???

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Happy New Year!!

Last night I made the sweet potato & pepper pasta dish that dandy posted. I did make a few changes - used cilantro instead of garlic, no parsley, and used a different type of pasta. Came out great!!! I had it for dinner, and had three helpings left over (hubby didn't eat any). So today for lunch I had it again. And I'm looking forward to eating for lunch again tomorrow!! Yum Yum!

I nominate Dandy as the Cyburbian Awesome Recipe Finder. Who's with me???
:D:D I'm glad you like it! We've tweaked the recipe some to our own palate (or pallet as I read recently in a published book). When we make it we normally get dinner and the next day's lunch from it. Try it with garlic bread!!

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Last spring I stumbled upon the place where parade floats go to die in Chicago. It was a bit creepy.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Kids are told that Santa Claus doesn't leave presents to kids who are bad. Did you ever know of any real life kids that were punished that were punished for bad behavior in a certain year by having "Santa" skip a visit, leaving nothing under the tree?

Status
Not open for further replies.