• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 9 (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
It is my distinct pleasure to open the Random Thoughts Thread for 2014. Our friend Bear was not only a stalwart in the community, but was the mind behind one of the greatest threads on Cyburbia. We remember his contribution to our community by opening the year with his words. Last year we used his words to open the second RTDNTOTO. Below you will find his thoughts on the yearly tradition for the other years he was with us. Let us not only remember him, but celebrate his memory with another great year of posting in the Random Thoughts thread.

Happy 2014!

Good morning and happy new year to all friends and foes. I proudly pry open another can of RANDOMS, version 2008. In keeping with the random nature I post this snippet.....

Years ago my friend (Fred) and this Bear decided to dribble basketballs from our home in the Point Place neighborhood of Toledo (north side) to Detroit. A distance of about 55 miles.

We made it as far as Monroe, MI.....about 18 miles.

Why?

Who the hexx knows.

How's that for totally random?

:-D

Planner Note: The above story incorporated topics near and dear to the hearts of plannerfolk.....geographical references, questionable activities, sports, friendship, nostalgia.

Welcome to 2008.

Random Bear :)
Happy New Year, Cyburbians!!!

If you are reading this at or around the midnight hour......you are enjoying the old "out with the old, in with the new" dance that most of the world does as a New Year rolls from time zone to time zone. If you are reading it on Thursday morning, the first day of 2009, as bacon and eggs (with coffee) sizzles in the background.....hope your hangover goes away! :-D

Katie has informed me that I have to kiss her when the clock strikes midnight. Being an old codger, I was kinda hoping she would watch my ball drop, too.

:-$:p:-D:)

Seriously.....a very warm Happy New Year to all my friends at Cyburbia.

I am off to kiss my beautiful wife. :l:

PS - She also told me I have to kiss Molly (our Golden Retriever). Anybody know if 2009 is the "year of the dog"? It apparently is in my house.

Bear Puckering :)
Tradition has called.....this Bear has answered.....

My original plans were to introduce this "catch-all" thread later in the day on this final day of the decade. My evening plans are somewhat jumbled, so I will take the time right here and now......

Proudly prying open the newest Random Thoughts thread. Seems like just yesterday when I popped the top on the first Random thread. Then again, it seems like just yesterday when I was in high school.....and that was ten presidents ago. :-c

Ladies and gentlemen......start your engines.
_____

1st Random Thought of 2010 Thread - Does it seem strange that it was considered normal for the citizens of Petticoat Junction to have drinking water that three women bathed in? Just wondering.

:-c:D

Happy New Year !!!

Bear
Hoopla!

Welcome to 2011. In the grande olde tradition, this Bear slides another Random thread your way. Please treat it well as we motor through the coming year. Have a super year, my friends.

Bear :):):):):):)
Happy new year, Cyburbia! The big ball just did its' annual dance in Times Square. Of greater importance, the big walleye dropped in Port Clinton, OH, just down the road a piece from Toledo and Swanton. The fine finish for the 2011 version of Random set the bar high. Speaking of bar.....I need a drink.

G'night!

Bear :D

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Crazy East Coasters heading to bed when we all know the real party is in 2 hours on the West Coast. Enjoying my 2nd Bloody Mary of the night, it is a good NYE!

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
FINALLY 2014 here on the left coast! May 2014 bring happiness and prosperity to all my friends here on Cyburbia! Even though I have only met a very small percentage of you all in real life, I consider you all my friends and I think we have a very special community here on Cyburbia. :)

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Here's to a peaceful and prosperous 2014 to all of you! <:D Arrived home with 10 minutes to spare, whew!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
good job Hink. Just catching up on the last dozen pages of last years randoms....WYP, 'drivel'? Indeed!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Happy New Year, all ya'll.

ZG wore the Red Pumps this morning. :trophy::thumbsup::fire::awesome::wow:oh:

IMHO, the activity in yesterday's RT8 thread falls into the category of "Sacrilege: The Desecration of a Shrine." :not: :r:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Looking forward to a Red Wings win to start 2014 off right. Being in the big house, against an original 6 team is even better.

Let's Go Wings!

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Happy New Year, all ya'll.

ZG wore the Red Pumps this morning. :trophy::thumbsup::fire::awesome::wow:oh:

IMHO, the activity in yesterday's RT8 thread falls into the category of "Sacrilege: The Desecration of a Shrine." :not: :r:
Those shoes are hot! You're lucky she wore them for you after the hooker comments ;) Glad your joining in on the '14 thread ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veloise

Cyburbian
Take lots of good photos

Working on my annual calendar for the sibs (yes, I procrastinate; bonus is a two-fer sale from Vistaprint today). There are no family pics that show all five (then four) of us kids with both 'rents. Some really bad ones that show us four, mostly grab shots around a holiday table. The backside of two distinctive heads. All but one person. Could-be-better shots of holiday prep or a fun activity, but someone's hidden in shadows or facing the other direction.

Whenever I go out someplace and see one family member shooting everyone else, I always offer to take a group shot for them. Lately I don't have to persuade them, and I always shoot more than one (framed, no telephone poles out of heads, I usually say, "act like you like each other" and that evokes happy smiles).

Selfies are fine, along with pictures of your food or a snowstorm or a Christmas tree. But get some people in it. Not just adorable kiddos, or mom's-hands-holding-the-new-baby-or-puppy. There's a wide zone between a professional studio shot and a hand-held cell phone timer one, and in twenty years you'll thank me for this recommendation.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
I love that the NHL is doing more outdoor games this season with the Stadium Series. One of the games will be at Dodger Stadium at the end of the month, it will be a bit strange seeing an outdoor game when it will probably be 80 degrees.

Related... wow the NHL is asking $249 a pop for the Stadium Series games. :-c

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Looking forward to a Red Wings win to start 2014 off right. Being in the big house, against an original 6 team is even better.

Let's Go Wings!
Watching it on tv now (yes, it would be better in person outside)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Watching it on tv now (yes, it would be better in person outside)
I've got quite a few friends and relatives who drove to the game from the Detroit area and many of them were posting on Facebook that the traffic was at a standstill into Ann Arbor. It was taking them close to 3 hours to get there. Much worse traffic than on game days. I guess parking is/was horrendous too. That must make watching it on TV instead of being there at least a little better.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
I love that the NHL is doing more outdoor games this season with the Stadium Series. One of the games will be at Dodger Stadium at the end of the month, it will be a bit strange seeing an outdoor game when it will probably be 80 degrees.

Related... wow the NHL is asking $249 a pop for the Stadium Series games. :-c
My parents and baby brother went to the game. They said it was fun but brutally cold and then snow did not stop falling. It was 13 degrees when it started...it was 65 degrees when I turned on the TV to watch it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think the Winter Classic is by far the best tradition in sports right now (even if it's a relatively new tradition!)

I would love to see a Rangers series with Boston or the Islanders played in Central Park. Would be a nightmare to have the infrastructure in place, but man would that be cool. Can't wait for the 24/7 series finale this weekend. I want to see if all the trade talks between Carolina and Toronto will be shown. John Michael Liles was traded to the 'Canes for Tim Gleason right before the game (he wasn't playing anyways so I guess it didn't ruin his experience...).

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Happy New year from the cold, cold north!

Random: hoping for a snow day tomorrow but i know it won't happen. I took no extra time off around the holidays and now I need some to recover.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
While very tempting...I will not go back on my promise to not combine the consecutive replies after 3PM on Tuesday in the previous rendition of this thread. :D

That said, congrats to Hink in meeting the goal of getting to 12K...even though part of me agrees with RJ's assessment of the events of Tuesday night.

Happy 2014 everyone from the grinch, heel, or whatever title I've been assigned these days. ;)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

Random: hoping for a snow day tomorrow but i know it won't happen. I took no extra time off around the holidays and now I need some to recover.
Faust, I hope that you join us in the RTDNTOTO this year and the FAC in general. Come enjoy the party!

Planit

Cyburbian
First phone call at work for 2014 was a wrong number.

I wonder what that means.

DVD

Cyburbian
While very tempting...I will not go back on my promise to not combine the consecutive replies after 3PM on Tuesday in the previous rendition of this thread. :D

That said, congrats to Hink in meeting the goal of getting to 12K...even though part of me agrees with RJ's assessment of the events of Tuesday night.

Happy 2014 everyone from the grinch, heel, or whatever title I've been assigned these days. ;)
Would you like my Anti-Christ title? I'm willing to share.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian

I worked Mon and Tues but td my supervisor I probably wouldn't be in today. I knew we were supposed to get a crap ton is snow and frankly I just needed a down-day to sleep in and decompress from the past few weeks. So, I'm home watching it still snow like crazy, just a woke up and drinking coffee. Yay for me!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Whenever I go out someplace and see one family member shooting everyone else, I always offer to take a group shot for them. Lately I don't have to persuade them, and I always shoot more than one (framed, no telephone poles out of heads, I usually say, "act like you like each other" and that evokes happy smiles).
That's a good idea, actually. I remember something you said last year - take photos of you with both of your dogs, before it's too late. I didn't. I have a few photos of me, Guinness, and Bailey together, but most are of just the dogs, or the dogs with other people. Fortunately, I have a lot of photos of me with my late parents. One of the advantages of being an only child if that it's always easy to find someone to take a "family photo" when the family isn't large.

Veloise

Cyburbian
That's a good idea, actually. I remember something you said last year - take photos of you with both of your dogs, before it's too late. I didn't. I have a few photos of me, Guinness, and Bailey together, but most are of just the dogs, or the dogs with other people. Fortunately, I have a lot of photos of me with my late parents. One of the advantages of being an only child if that it's always easy to find someone to take a "family photo" when the family isn't large.
The one of your dad with one of his granddogs is memorable...can't recall if you put it here on on FB.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Seana can now feel free to post randoms to her little heart's content now that we are beyond the first page.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
I made homemade cinnamon rolls for the first time yesterday. I was surprised how easy they were. Even with the time it took them to proof, it was still way better than store bought dough. :p

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I want to have a reason to believe that 2014 is going to be like my best year in years. Somebody lie to me. :)

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I want to have a reason to believe that 2014 is going to be like my best year in years. Somebody lie to me. :)
What's your sign? Yahoo shine said this is going to be a hell of a year! #yearofraf

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
What's your sign? Yahoo shine said this is going to be a hell of a year! #yearofraf

How could the Year of Raf not be great, right? I think I feel better already. If the Californians are checking in (Thanks, Gentlemen) with the news that it's a good year, I will trust in the West Coast. :)

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
How could the Year of Raf not be great, right? I think I feel better already. If the Californians are checking in (Thanks, Gentlemen) with the news that it's a good year, I will trust in the West Coast. :)
Another Californian weighing in, I too think 2014 will be a good year. I feel very confident in the year ahead! :h:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Does anyone else find it ironic that a ship full of climate change scientists got suck on a boat in the Antarctic ice during the summer.... (CNN Link) 8-!

DVD

Cyburbian
Does anyone else find it ironic that a ship full of climate change scientists got suck on a boat in the Antarctic ice during the summer.... (CNN Link) 8-!
Why couldn't they be hipster scientists, then they would truly appreciate the irony.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
While I was on vacation a co-worker left a Toblerone on my desk as a Christmas gift. I've never actually had a Toblerone before. It's pretty good! We actually have four of them in our pantry at home - my wife got them from somebody at another holiday party. I may have to claim one of those ones before they disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.