• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RTDNTOTO 🐻 Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Good article in this month's REASON magazine about the Sea Ranch coastal development, located in northern California. Their take is that California regulators actually "derailed" environmental progress in their actions over the years.
_____

It is truly amazing to see (and have to comply to) all of the regulations when you run a business, such as a distribution warehouse. OSHA rules and regulations, mostly written in the 1970's, guide the way to being a safe employer. EPA does their part. Human Resource pros have jobs for life just keeping up with equal rights laws, immigration laws, FMLA laws, etc.

What do real Americans get from all this regulation? Safer workplaces. Cleaner air and water. More people-friendly organizations (because of forced by law). And a lot of expense to comply. We all pass those expenses on to you. Thanx!
_____

Merrill, WI, checked in last night (10-5-04) in the temperature teens. I have been to Merrill. Merrill, you are no Green Bay.
_____

Bear Not A Cheesehead

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I keep a pen that writes in glittery pink gel ink in my pocket, in case anyone asks me if they want to borrow a pen.

JNL

Cyburbian
Shoes are so important to the overall impact of an outfit. And it's very hard to carry off red shoes.
_____

Working for a local authority seems to be about meetings, meetings, and more meetings! When does anyone get any actual work done?
_____

I love my view of Wellington harbour - I can watch ships coming in and I can see some people kayaking on the harbour at the moment.
_____

While we might think our thoughts are random, there are often subtle underlying links between them and what we're doing. I just realised that the above 3 thoughts all relate to my job - even the one about shoes because now I work in the city I get to see lots of people out and about, hence the observation about shoes!

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I love watching the Discovery Times Channel. It's when I let my inner geek out.

Oh, and the History Channel, too.

Oh, is this a good place for me to post my "threads" that get no replies? Can a mod merge the thread I started earlier today into this? No point in having so many "dead end" threads just for me to talk to myself. :)

MZ -- Queen of the Strike Out thread starters. :-\

EDIT: On a more humorous note, one day when I was on a lot of medication and short of sleep, I happened to buy some framed office art which was one of those old fashioned maps of the world that shows the whole world in the form of two circles next to each other, with the two sets of continents depicted on the two different circles. Coincidentally, the same day, I bought new bras. So here were these bras hanging in my cart with this map of two circles next to each other and the map suddenly struck me as looking rather like a woman's bosom. And then I thought "hey, that would make kind of a neat logo or symbol for women in GIS" and I put the idea through my crude photo-chopping programs and came up with this (it is supposed to look like a bustier):

Of course, it is too risque for the organization I had in mind when I designed it. I thought it would make a neat logo and then we could do t-shirts in black and the map would fall across the members bosom -- sort of a defiant "You can't fill our shirts" (instead of "shoes") women's lib statement. I thought about it again when someone asked "How will cyburbanites recognize each other?" and I thought "they can all wear cyburbia t-shirts!" (and never mind that I have no idea how many cyburbanites have such gear). For a time, I toyed with the idea of making it my new Cyburbia avatar. :D

Gee, if I have to be Politically Correct to have a career, I will soon be out on the streets, begging for alms. :-| Oh well.

Now: Back to your regularly scheduled program. :)

Last edited:

Budgie

Cyburbian
Why do convenience stores that are open 24/7/365 have locks on the doors?

I wonder if anyone in town has Grey Poupon in the glove box?

How does Juan Valdez and his trusty mule get crammed in peoples pantry in the morning and still manage to pick all those beans? He's better than Santa Claus.

Floridays

Cyburbian
I found this picture online when I did a Google search for "moon." Isn't it WICKED? It is really cool although it has no redeeming value whatsoever. I have wanted to share it and now is as good a time as ever. Thank you to my fellow Cyburbians who have made this possible. :-D

Last edited by a moderator:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Why do people drive on parkways and park on driveways?

How come whenever I ask my wife if she's ready to go she says yes, but she really means yes I'm ready after I fix my makeup, spray my hair and pick out some jewelry to wear?

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
MD Planner said:
Why do people drive on parkways and park on driveways?

How come whenever I ask my wife if she's ready to go she says yes, but she really means yes I'm ready after I fix my makeup, spray my hair and pick out some jewelry to wear?

Parkways are called parkways because they are typically anchored by a park on each end. See Long Island.

zman

Cyburbian
Have you ever noticed that the Friday Afternoon Club is very active even if it is not Friday afternoon?

Floridays

Cyburbian
MD Planner said:

It's "woman-speak." Don't go there. :-E

I am an obsessive spread sheet maker. Is there a program to help people like me reduce their dependacy on Excel?

Why are stores now trotting out their Christmas stuff BEFORE Halloween?

If you sing I've Been Working On The Railroad enough times, eventually you can start having conversations and work out complex problems while singing it.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Floridays said:
I found this picture online when I did a Google search for "moon."

I probably won't do that because my "Safe Search is off"

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
White socks with sneakers

Use your headlights to let a tractor trailer driver know she has enough room to pull in front of you after she's passed you. Most often she'll thank you by dimming her lights several time. Disclaimer: at night do not use your high beams: dim your headlights briefly (leaving your parking lights on)

Watching snow fall is the most peaceful natural thing I know

"Anxious" and "eager" are not synonomous

You can tell how sociable a person is by the way they go through a door. Anti-social people walk straight through without a last push in case someone might be following

Last edited:
Gedunker said:
Use your headlights to let a tractor trailer driver know she has enough room to pull in front of you after she's passed you. Most often she'll thank you by dimming her lights several time. Disclaimer: at night do not use your high beams: dim your headlights briefly (leaving your parking lights on)

I really enjoy that Gedunker used feminine pronouns to talk about truckers. I give you the

award of the day. :D

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
GeogPlanner said:
Parkways are called parkways because they are typically anchored by a park on each end.

This is also true of Miller Park Way in Milwaukee which is anchored on one end my Miller Park, the Brewers baseball stadium, and on the other end by Trailer Park trash.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I can see trees turning orange and red from my office, and clouds finally beginning to move in. Three weeks without much rain is too long. It's time for fall to start.

SGB

Cyburbian
Sometimes the people who purchase lots in towns without subdivision regulations get what they deserve.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Why do architects pick an odd word and all use it. It was "celebrate" when I was in school.

-----------------------------------------------

Yesterday, I said, "I love you, pumkin" to my wife, and she replied "I love you, honey bunny..." She didn't realize it was a scene from Pulp Fiction. (Oh, check this out http://www.pyrrha.org/pulp/ I'm Pumpkin)

----------------------------------------------

My boss is a Mormon.... and still cool. How odd is that?

---------------------------------------------

I stayed up way too late last night playing poker. And I have a Council meeting tonight that's easily going to last 3 hours. I may bring a cyanide capsule.

--------------------------------------------

Shouldn't this be a "neverending" thread?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
I can see trees turning orange and red from my office, and clouds finally beginning to move in. Three weeks without much rain is too long. It's time for fall to start.
It's already starting here. My eyes have the itch to prove it.

Absolutely beautiful outside and I'm stuck working the front desk until 3:00. When are we going to be able to afford a receptionist again?

statler

Cyburbian
Anyone else notice that Lime seems to be the new 'it' flavor? We have lime-flavored diet Coke, lime-flavored Fruit2O and Tostitos with a Hint of Lime.

Queen B

Cyburbian
It is time for me to go back to work.
I am tired of fighting bats.
I have recovered my couch.
And the garage sale is on for tomorrow.
I NEED work so I can rest....

mgk920

Cyburbian
Where does the white go when the snow melts?

Will the Cubs ever win another World Series game?

Could the Blue Ridge Parkway be built if it was first proposed today?

Which is more damaging to the environment, turning a farm into an urban/suburban development or turning the original wilderness into the farm?

Why do people move next to airports/highways/railroads/factories/sewage plants/farms/etc and then complain about them?

Why do they still teach fractions in grade school?

^o)

Mike

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
All sign regulation and no play make mendelman something....something.....

Budgie

Cyburbian
If you're in an elevator that is crashing down one floor, can you jump at the right time to counteract the speed at which you are falling, thus save yourself the impact? :r:

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Budgie said:
If you're in an elevator that is crashing down one floor, can you jump at the right time to counteract the speed at which you are falling, thus save yourself the impact? :r:

You want a bunch of planners to solve a physics problem? Wow... you have high hopes!

Let's see:

1) Calculate the speed of the falling elevator (32 feet per second squared until terminal velocity minus friction and any other minor variables)

2) Assume being in the elevator you have acheived the same speed

3) Calculate the upward thrust of the person jumping

4) Subtract the thrust from the fall velocity

5) Add the velocity of the person falling to the elevator floor

Short answer? No...

Habanero

Cyburbian
I'm still really angry with my dog for locking me out of my house for 3.5 hours the other night. Does that make me a bad person?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Ugh... one of my planners just filed his resignation, solely because we don't offer enough money. I wish Councils would understand that paying us well will cut down the costs and time wasted in training staff for a year or two, just to have them leave when they become good at planning. I hate being the training ground for all the other jurisdictions!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Budgie said:

They had that on Mythbusters last night. Pretty cool.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
zmanPLAN said:
Have you ever noticed that the Friday Afternoon Club is very active even if it is not Friday afternoon?
Or.....have you noticed that Friday afternoon is the least active time in the Friday Afternoon Club?

Budgie

Cyburbian
Everyone I've met today has proactively asserted that "today is a crappy day" or something to that effect. Can an entire community get mild temporary depression? :-\

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Guess what I just bought ?

Took the day off.

Generally happy when my blood sugars are in normal range.

We have two jobs open.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Why am I still surprised by the callousness of some people, like the engineer in our office who was loudly complaining that wet leaves (!) were stuck to the back of his house after a recent hurricane, when many of his neighbors and co-workers had homes hit by trees, roofs ripped off, flooded, etc.

I wish DVD movies were cheaper to buy.

I broke my non-t.v. rule the last couple of weeks and watched "Wife Swap" and thought it was a hoot.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Even though I agree with about half of what Rush "dittohead" Limbaugh says, I'm still amazed at his hypocrisy concerning his prescription drug tribulations.

When the Shaw (sic?) Of Iran was in power, Iran grew most of the world's pistachios. The fall of the Shaw led American growers to develop the nuts we now know as "already mostly opened" pistachios. Mmmmmmm, good.

Katie Holmes occasionally shows up and drinks at a bar I go to in Sylvania Township, a suburb of Toledo. The bar is Frogtown's.

This Bear won first place in The (Toledo) Blade's annual poetry contest, back in the late 1970's. This Bear never won a sports trophy in his life, but he has one (1) helluva outside jump shot.....even at his advanced age.

What's the largest moving object in most American homes? The garage door. (A 16x7 garage door, the most normal size, will weigh-in at 300 to 400 pounds, depending on whether or not it is insulated.)

My wife is hooked on FRIENDS (just reruns and tapes now) and JOEY. I think it is ridiculous......but she better give me the controller when THE SOPRANOS are on.

Bada Bear

biscuit

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
We had our first cold front of the year go thru today; the afternoon temp was down to 85 degrees!
Break out the polar fleece!

I just got back from taking the bus to the grocery store for the first time. Now I realize why I have always driven there in the past.

PlannerGirl said:
rotfl i love it
Thank you. Times like this, I wish I had a "bow and curtsy" emoticon. Of course, that would only encourage my Class Clown antics, so perhaps it is just as well there isn't one.

Anyway, I figure that if a tough guy has "big, brass balls" then a tough lady needs a "big, brass bustier". :D Of course, I have long referred to myself as "An Amazon Mom". :cool:

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I was doing some land-use survey work today, in the Lincoln Park/Lake View areas of Chicago. Beautiful homes, bustling commercial districts, and lots of people on the streets. While I was out there, I was wondering: "with so many people out on the streets, do these people actually work somewhere to pay for their slice of heaven?" Hmm.

Oh yeah. I think it's weird that here in Chicago, Washington Boulevard cuts through Garfield Park, and Garfield Boulevard cuts through Washington Park. Odd.

H

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
We had our first cold front of the year go thru today; the afternoon temp was down to 85 degrees!

Yes, Mrs. H came home tonight talking about how 'cold' it was...and that it wasnt this 'cold' in Miami.

I think she misses Miami a lot. :-(

...and I do too...

Queen B

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Everyone I've met today has proactively asserted that "today is a crappy day" or something to that effect. Can an entire community get mild temporary depression? :-\

Yes it is possible but most likely it is a mood that has been passed on by a crappy person that was passed on to the next and the next.

What's that saying about it only takes one bad thought to destroy the mood of a group.

Then again I have been to those trainings where they say that people can sense how you feel about them, if you just have the thoughts and never say a word.
I had a boss once that I thought intense thoughts of hate against but she never seemed to pick up on those.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
You Don't Hear It Anywhere Else!

So, why is it that the K-12 educational environment insists on perpetuating the use of the word "tardy?" What's wrong with "late?" Do school administrators rail on their spouses for being "tardy for dinner?" At the airport, do they say, "Gee, my plane's tardy, so I'm hitting the lounge for another scotch?" :r:

kms

Cyburbian
Remember when part of getting ready for a night out included running errands while hair still was up in curlers? My mom ran errands with her hair in curlers. I guess hot rollers and curling irons ended that.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I want to invent a men's pocketbook.

No, I don't have a desire to dress like a woman, but sometimes I envy the way my wife has a convenient way to carry her cellphone, wallet, papers and other little necessities while I stuff my pockets. This problem isn't so bad during the winter when you have more pockets to work with. A backpack is too much and a fannypack is too sissyish.

A ruggged, masculine, small bag will sell like hotcakes considering the active lifestyles of todays men. It will be called the Battle-Sack and come in black or camoflauge.

zman

Cyburbian
mendelman said:

go crazy?????

Status
Not open for further replies.