• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

randomn thoughts

boiker

Cyburbian
Today, I thought it sounded like a good idea to print pictures of famous polical figures, entertainment stars, and the like and post them all over my cube walls. You know, like the local hot dog or beef place does.

I would have each pic "signed" by that individual thanking me for the permit or assistance...

It would make my space confusingly unique..

Anyone else have "big" dreams for decorating their small space?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Just my newly framed aicp 'certificate' that, sniff sniff, brings a tear to my eye everytime i see it. I do have a framed print at home I've just been to lazy to bring to work.

otterpop

Cyburbian
My cubicle is decorated by cartoons, a picture of me running Powell Falls, and pictures of my wife and son. I have a picture of my son with wild "bed-head" that never fails to lift my spirits when I am having a bad day.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
boiker said:
Anyone else have "big" dreams for decorating their small space?
How about having a punching bag or padded walls. ;-)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Current adornments:

- 2 framed photos (Planderella and I together)
- N.O. Saints and Hornets, and LSU paraphernalia
- a small African headmask (a gift from Planderella's mom)
- a small American flag
- a small cactus plant
- planning studies, etc.

Future adornments:

- ceramic tiles depicting official N.O. Jazz and Heritage Festival posters
- various N.O. artworks
- AICP certificate
- additional planning studies, etc.

BKM

Cyburbian
No real "decor" in my cubicle itself except for an obsolete 2003-2004 Planning Department Fees Sheet and a poster of the Saturn Women's Cycling Team (RIP) given to me. As a cubicle, the "Walls" can't really hold anything.

However, I have appropriated an entire 40-foot hallway wall in the office for my (amateurish) architectural photographs. Everything from Pleasant Hill, KY Shaker housing to a historic inn and church in Sanbornton, NH to historic buildings from my hometown (Fort Wayne, Indiana). I have been approved to take over the other wall, as soon as my framer (he gets the supplies cheaper than I could buy it myself-and does a better matting job) returns with more photos.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Current adornments:
Pics of my G-friend and cats
Misc. GIS maps I've generated
State Map so I know where my clients live
Misc. Forms, contact lists w/ names, numbers etc

Future adornments:
AICP Certificate
Pics of me and my G-friend doing fun stuff

Not to much on my walls but I do have some fund knick Knacks people like to play with when they visit me in my cubie.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Maps, sneeze guard from other cubicles, a blank name holder, and some political cartoon somebody left behind once they quit. What's in the desk? A whole bunch of stuff. Ketchup, salt, forks, and napkins from take-out, more junk, etc.....

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
various maps and schedules

pics of family and wife

laser printed pic of the Uffizi in Florence, Italy (circa 1960)

piles and piles of things I wish I could avoid

ludes98

Cyburbian
My space is adorned with work related paper, schedules, reminders, and piles of rolled drawings and files. The only personal items in my space are:
Hand Sanitizer-Can't help my inner germ-o-phobe
Radio-Can't stand silence
Diet Coke-I permanently have a Diet Coke going at work as my coffee substitute
Picture of dogs
Picture of wife

Floridays

Cyburbian
Current Adornments:
-Framed diploma of master's degree (my BA diploma was busted by the moving company from hell)
-APA certificate in a cheap frame
-Several photos of the "rug rats" (niece/nephew)
-Stuffed pelicans (my favorite wildlife)
-Cheesy souvenier magnets on my filing cabinets, provided by friends' trips to wherever
-On my office door: "You Make Kitty Scared" photo (who WAS it that posted this on Cyburbia forums?)
-News clippings from the Marlins' World Series victory!!!

Future Adornments:
-AICP Certificate! I totally effed off last year and didn't study AT ALL and missed the exam by 1 point. I'll get it this year????!!!! B-)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Well, my office in the embassy has a rock collection, beer can collection and a (small and empty) whisky bottle collection. Along with some books and CDs in a cupboard.
:p

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
On the walls: lists and lists of things to do/research/visit, couple of cartoons, photos of husband and dogs, interesting magnets, more lists.
On flat surfaces: more lists, ords binders, site maps, piles of paperwork, assorted 1/2 used post-it pads, scales, clips, and way too many coffee mugs.
And I can find anything in five minutes or less.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
My diplomas and aicp certificate are tucked away in a drawer somewhere. My office is somewhat dull. I have a pic of a Monet-style tobasco bottle, a large framed pic of downtown Milwaukee I got for x-mas, and various maps and calendars for work. I did take my old home stereo amp, cd player, and speakers and bring them into my office. I would really like to downsize that to a nice executive system, but I have yet to find an affordable one that sounds good. Any recommendations on a sub-$150 micro system?

Habanero

Cyburbian
I've got pictures of the man and I, of him playing hockey (in a hockey frame!!), the dogs, and random other little pictures. I've got a cell tower cartoon, Desiderata, and a little gumby doll too.

One of these days I'm going to try to add a tree or fake shrubbery to green the place up a bit.

Rem

Cyburbian
The City Art Gallery hangs bits of their collection in my office - the nicer ones tend to have shorter stays as they are returned to the collection for a rest (apparently pictures on paper should not be kept on permanent display) but the ugly ones just sit there forever. I also have a couple of pics of the kids and a few of their drawings.