• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Real cover letter and resume critiques

kw5280

Cyburbian
I'd like to get a critique from someone who is or has been the first line in sorting resumes for city planning positions. I am applying for an entry level job with just a bachelor's degree and lots of experience. But beyond that, all the resume reviews I get at workforce centers and recruiting agencies don't really grasp what employers in our field look for. I get all this jargon that applies mostly to administrative and IT positions. Is anyone else getting poor resume evaluations from "experts" who don't understand built environment careers?

Otis

Cyburbian
PM me with an example and I'll critique it. I have review hundreds of applications in the last year alone. Not accepting any now.:D

Tide

Cyburbian
I too have reviewed resumes and coverletters for fellow planners who have been out of work over the last two years. I appreciated the help when I was out of work and would love to pay it forward. PM me your email address and I will write you with mine.

ColoGI

Cyburbian
I too have reviewed resumes and coverletters for fellow planners who have been out of work over the last two years. I appreciated the help when I was out of work and would love to pay it forward. PM me your email address and I will write you with mine.

Me three. Plus I'm in the neighborhood. It's a sprawled McSuburb, but still.

kw5280

Cyburbian
Well, I am at a loss as to how to share my resume through email and PM in this forum which is discouraging because I really am a tech savvy person. Anyway, thanks for the offers to help. I wonder if there would be any interest in setting up a subtopic in the Career Development and Advice section for resume critiques. I can understand not wanting to have resume and CV postings, but a little peer perspective might be a good resource.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Well, I am at a loss as to how to share my resume through email and PM in this forum which is discouraging because I really am a tech savvy person. Anyway, thanks for the offers to help. I wonder if there would be any interest in setting up a subtopic in the Career Development and Advice section for resume critiques. I can understand not wanting to have resume and CV postings, but a little peer perspective might be a good resource.

Send your benefactors a private message with your real e-mail in it, and they will send you theirs.

HTH

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

Moderator note:

You're welcome to start a legitimate "crit my resume" thread. You can attach a resume to a post (you've got enough posts), or use a free service like Pastebin or Scribd. Please be aware of the risks that come from posting too much personally identifying information in public. I'm going to modify permissions so only those logged in to Cyburbia may see and download attachments.

Several years ago, Cyburbia allowed users to post resumes and CVs. There were several problems, though, the biggest being that people would post resumes but never return to participate in the Forums, users never removed resumes after they landed jobs, and the majority of resumes were from India.

urbanoid

I had no idea people would be nice enough to do this.

Otis, Tide and ColoGI: can I still get in on this? I had my resume critiqued by my advisor before, but never by a professional planner. As a broke graduate student I can't offer much, but promise to say a prayer for each of you :D

Dan: how come I'm unable to PM other cyburbians?

ejs06003

I do not want to steal this thread or create another like it but is anyone else willing to take a quick look and comment on/critique a resume from a recent graduate?

JeromeRaymond

Cyburbian
Anybody care to also give me some feedback on my resume. I'm going to use it for both job interviews and grad schools applications.

Thanks.

Tide

Cyburbian
Always happy to help recent grads. If you want you can email me your resume, it may take me a few days to turn it around. My email address can be found on my blog. Link below.

vxw

Cyburbian
What might work is once you have reviewed a resume, post your critique here, but remove the identifying details, or just generalize the comments, like "put skills up front" or w/e

That way it will be useful to many people, and people can critique their own resumes accordingly. Seems like more reward for the effort imho.

Tide

Cyburbian
VXW While I do think that would be helpful (posting a critique of a resume on here) there are often so many identifying issues on resumes and I believe they are still very personal and if everyone's resume looked the same it wouldn't allow those resumes that went the extra mile to stand out.

kw5280

Cyburbian
Always happy to help recent grads. If you want you can email me your resume, it may take me a few days to turn it around. My email address can be found on my blog. Link below.

I'll be emailing mine to you as well. Thanks for the offer.

Rygor

Cyburbian
Just curious, but for someone with a Bachelor's in planning, military service, is AICP, and who has had two planning/ED related jobs (one of them for 8 years), would it be better to do a chronological or a functional resume? I have about 9 years total job experience. This would be for looking for a mid-level position in ED or similar field. Is there a preference by those who evaluate resumes which type you use? For someone with my experience level which would be better?

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Just curious, but for someone with a Bachelor's in planning, military service, is AICP, and who has had two planning/ED related jobs (one of them for 8 years), would it be better to do a chronological or a functional resume? I have about 9 years total job experience. This would be for looking for a mid-level position in ED or similar field. Is there a preference by those who evaluate resumes which type you use? For someone with my experience level which would be better?

For sure go with functional versus chronological. If you need an example, pm me and I can shoot mine over to you.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Is the resume review office still open? Would anyone like to take a quick look at mine? It's more a CV format because I'm sending it here and overseas...any input would be gratefully received. :)

Tide

Cyburbian
I've now helped and given advice to 7 cyburbians. I hope my service has helped I'd be interested to hear back from those of you who I've helped to see if you took any advice, if it is working, and what wasn't helpful. I enjoy helping my fellow planners and know what you are going though, I too had a 13 month lapse in employment, and had help from people during that time so I'm paying it forward. But I know I have more to learn regarding resumes as well, since resume writing is a constantly evolving art.

mcparks

I have been working on my resume. I had friends review it but they aren't planners. Would it be wise to start a thread and just post the body of the resume without personal information? I don't have enogh posts for PMing, but i am open to suggestions.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
FYI to all. I am open to reviewing resumes, however for those with low post counts, at least contribute to this forum instead of doing a blow-n-go

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Dan, I think it would be interesting to see how many people would take part in a resume review section. It might just because of the economy, but I would imagine that we could get some good people to join and stick around for the "service".

From the short time this thread has been around it is already getting a lot of interest. Not sure how to make it safe for those who are posting their resume though - being a member with a certain number of posts to upload works, but if anyone can download that is a member, it still leaves a certain level of privacy issues. I guess if people are willing to give up some privacy for the advice, why not?

I just think that with this economy, it would be a service to help those who are on the hunt. Just my two cents. (And Tide, Veloise, Otis, Raf, etc. who know what they are talking about can all review and give feedback without losing their personal email).

nrschmid

Cyburbian
As someone who has reviewed about 50? resumes and portfolio from various students and professionals over the past few years, I don't think it's a good idea for several reasons.

1. People are going to dump their resumes onto the server in the hopes that it gets some feedback I don't mind providing advice to thse people, but I am doing them a favor. All I ask is some one-on-one interaction first. I need to know more about who is behind the resume/portfolio in order for me to give sound advice.
2. It takes time to carefully craft a resume and it's an ongoing process throughout a career. By the time the person has emailed me their resume, it should be a polished and carefully prepared work. Over half of the resumes I have reviewed were very lacking.
3. Cyburbia is much more than the resume review service. I would hope that people contribute to the ongoing discussions first. I still treat resume review as asking for a favor. I actually keep an active file of every resume and portfolio I have reviewed along with my comments (especially since my comments for portfolios alone can run several pages).

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
As someone who has reviewed about 50? resumes and portfolio from various students and professionals over the past few years, I don't think it's a good idea for several reasons.

I respect your opinion, but feel that most people just need help - not a detailed review of who they are or what they stand for. General help is sometimes just as hard to come by as detailed help. I had a guy come into my office last week asking if we had any positions open - I told him unfortunately we don't presently, but will in the next year. I asked him if I could do anything else for him, and he asked if I would look at his resume. I wouldn't normally do this, but the guy seemed nice, and really was trying to do better for himself. I didn't spend an hour going over it, I just spent 15 minutes talking with him about how I would lay it out, where he should focus, and how he might better sell himself.

Although I agree that if you want a detailed review, with comments you might or might not get that here. But feedback is not something that would be lacking. I agree Cyburbia is much more than just a resume service, but it might be something that we can do to help out our fellow planners.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Payback time!

My latest edition is ready for review. Line forms right here, please.

(Send me a PM with contact info, and you'll be rewarded with my own personal e-dress and the attachment. And a tuba serenade, if you'd like.)

Thanks!

wongtra

To Tide

Hey Tide,

I have stumbled across your message back in May and I have sent my CV and cover letter for your critique as well!

Thanks so much!

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
As a sorta mid-career planner, would a fellow Cyburbian be willing to take a look at my resume. I am mostly afraid that my resume is getting WAY too cluttered and long, it is two full pages. Thanks!

Jalarc

Hello everyone. If anyone is willing to review my resume as well, I would greatly appreciate your time and help? I am a recent graduate currently employed part-time for an environmental and engineering consulting firm; however, my hours are being cut each week. Therefore, I have revised my resume and currently working on a few cover letters. Again, I really appreciate anyone's help. Best of luck to all.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm happy to look at it. I think we even have some Atlanta area planners if you can con them into looking at it.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I'd be happy to help out.

Several Cybs have looked my resume over the years, and I think it's better for it.

Lowland

Cyburbian
Bump

Anyone willing to take a look at a draft resume? I've got a unique job history and wanted opinions on how to best format an updated resume. Other content-related suggestions would be more than welcome, as well.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I'd be happy to. I like to think I'm pretty good at resumes and cover letters and have helped many people over the years. Some even successfully! :roflmao: