• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Real World/Road Rules Challenge

Ok, I'm only marginally embarrassed to admit this, but I love the RR/RW Challenge. Episode I is tonight. I just got back from MTV after picking my team, the Majestic Matejas. Is anyone else playing? Ok, will anyone else admit to playing? I know, not as exciting as Cyburbia fantasy football, but any takers for Cyburbia Fantasy RW/RR challenge?

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Ooh Ooh!! I am so excited to see it :) It's one of the shows that I love to watch, but don't quickly admit to.....

I'll check out the challenge....

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
My wife loves all things Real World and Road Rules. So I'm assured that that is what will be on the TV tonight....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Personally, I'm waiting for Sorority Life 2. It's at UB this time ... my MUP alma mater!

I stopped caring about The Real World after the third season, with Judd and Puck and Pethdro and Corey and the militant vegan girl that replaced Puck. It went downhill with London, and IMHO it didn't come back. The Real World - Las Vegas cast doesn't have the diversity that you see in the earlier seasons; they're all gorgeous suburban Southern California middle-class types. Where's the Southerner? Where's the angry black guy or girl who is an aspiring rap artist? Where's the eXXXtReEm DoOd????

Real Worlds I'd like to see:

Real World: Denver - only because I used to live there.

Real World: Littleton - RW moves to the suburbs!

Real World: Fort Wayne - there's the REAL world. You graduated from college, and like the majority of young adults out there you didn't end up in a hip, trendy town. Too bad, Kirsten ... I know how much you wanted to live in Seattle or Boston, but you'll just have to deal with a plain old apartment at Hoosierwoods at Southglen, like the typical just-out-of-college Generation Y brat. I'd love to see the Real World gang head out to Applebee's or Chili's. Such it up, and build up your resume for a few years. Maybe then you might be able to make a move to Indianapolis or Wichita.

Real World: Toronto - it's not that far away, and it might get MTV some more exposure in Canada.

Real World/Road Rules: Leisure Acres Adult Mobile Village - the cast drives to an RV park in Florida, and stays there for the winter. Adventures include finding the best early bird special, and performing big band standards for the rest of the park's inhabitants.

I only half heartedly watch RW anymore - these kids in vegas are just soooo stupid, it makes me crabby.

the great thing about the RW/RR Challenge is that the competition is the entree, and the drama that these completely self-involved people generate is a nice side dish.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Real World Cyburbia - bTurk, Muggie, Kelly, Dan and others...in an abandoned Wal-Mart building in sprawling East St. Louis. ;)

El Guapo said:
Real World Cyburbia - bTurk, Muggie, Kelly, Dan and others...in an abandoned Wal-Mart building in sprawling East St. Louis. ;)
This is the story, of 7 planners, picked to live in an abandoned Wal-mart. This is what happens when planners stop being nice and start being.... REAL!

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
This is what happens when planners stop being nice
What if we never started ;)

What character would you all be? I don't know that I'd fit in...not really a bitch, but not a tramp either.....

I don't think that in real life, i'm very bitchy at all, but i would definitely be horrible on that show - i would be sooooo constantly annoyed with those stupid kids all the time - the drunken-ness, the sex in the confessional, the dirty dishes. sigh. i'm so old.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I want to know who everyone thinks is going to get married on this new battle of the sexes... it's just so bad anyone would want to get married with those people as your witnesses- that's just asking for trouble.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'd be the grumpy old white guy from Survivor 1(tm) - Rudy. Mixed shows - I know, but that is a close as I can come to catpuring the essence of el Guapo.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I want to know who everyone thinks is going to get married on this new battle of the sexes...
Ohh Ohh!! I do too....

Tonights going to be a good tv night...Crossing Jordan finds something out about her mom...Joe Millionaire, and RW/RR Challenge.... How exciting!!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
And the spin-off...

SW MI Planner said:
Tonights going to be a good tv night......Joe Millionaire, and...
...Who Wants to Murder a T.V. Producer?

Habanero

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:

Ohh Ohh!! I do too....
Did you see the High School thing last night? Someone on there gets engaged too. I think some of those people are on crack, especially the woman who says she'd be married to her crush -from HS- by the end of 2 weeks. Yikes- psycho!

Oh, and how did they get away with lying to those gold-diggers? They have to sign something saying the won't sue, but they're being lied to! ha ha ha, I like it.

yay! it was a great night of tv last night. Loved the Joe Millionaire (Evan should go on my celebrity hot pants list!) and RR/RW BotS was awesome! I'm almost thinking I should put puck on my team, since it looks like he's going to be around for a while - and he's the one that gets married. how crazy was that fight with david?

Sadly, i'm dragging a little today since i stayed up too late to watch BotS.

Jeff

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
I know, not as exciting as Cyburbia fantasy football, but any takers for Cyburbia Fantasy RW/RR challenge?
We really have stooped to an all-time low now haven't we?

NHPlanner

Staff member
KMateja said:
yay! it was a great night of tv last night.
Last night consisted of 7th Heaven (my wife loves this show), Everwood (anyone else watching this? I think it's very well done), and then RWRRBOS.

jmf

Cyburbian
We don't have cable so we don't watch a lot of TV but I have been watching everwood. I noticed last night that they are changing the day and time here so I figure its not going to last long!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Didn't watch a single minute of TV after the 6p.m. news last night. Too much other stuff to do...and I'm not into any of the shows listed above.

I did notice that The Family Guy has started running on Teletoon every night at 9p.m. though...that may warrant some TV time!

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
(Evan should go on my celebrity hot pants list!)
Yep...he was on mine!! He is just too cute. I loved it when he was getting etiquette training, and he was like "I didn't know if I was supposed to shake her hand, kiss it, or lick it", and then when he couldn't get back on the horse. I am so not into hoity toity frou frou crap anyway, so I found him charming :) I called my sister and I kept calling each other just to say 'ooh, she's such a snot', or 'ooh, he's so cute'. Chad was ragging on me ... 'this is so stupid...why do you watch this crap', and by the end of the show he was saying 'Oh my God, I can't believe he picked HER?!'. It was too funny!

What's Everwood? Apparently not some trash reality tv show, since I think I've resorted to all of them.

My sister watched the high school thing, but I never heard of it. I ended up taping RW/RR's and watched Crossing Jordan. It's Puck that's getting married? Ewww....

Habanero

Cyburbian
Kel, I hope you don't have Melissa, the snotty one with a grudge from New Orleans, on your team. I hope she's one of the first to go- she's a.. Oh, I don't think I can say that on here! ;)

As far as Puck getting married- yuck! But it figures he's an attention hooch-

I usually catch Everwood on Sunday night when they're doing their re-run - and I always love it, but for some reason i miss it during the week.

As for Joe Millionaire - I HATE that Heidi chick. So far, my favorite is Zora, or Melissa (the one that E. liked her smile). That one is my pick. Heidi just sucks.

Habanero

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
I usually catch Everwood on Sunday night when they're doing their re-run - and I always love it, but for some reason i miss it during the week.

As for Joe Millionaire - I HATE that Heidi chick. So far, my favorite is Zora, or Melissa (the one that E. liked her smile). That one is my pick. Heidi just sucks.
Aw, I don't like Melissa, the way she winked at the camera..she looks like a brunette Chelsea Clinton to me.

donk

Cyburbian
I watched joe millionaire too, mostly to see the women and to have some idea what its about so that when I watch the last one it will be more humourous

I agree that there is something interesting about zora, (real body, real reactions, not too smiley fake) The one with the smile though, does little for me. Some of the skinny blondes are nice to look at but I bet the conversations would be pretty dull. Like gee, my hair is cute today is'nt it?

Last edited:

NHPlanner

Staff member
Didn't watch Joe Millionaire...but I'm thinking the whole premise is some kind of double swerve. My guess is that on the final episode, he'll reveal that he's not a millionaire, get the woman's reaction, then further reveal that he is indeed independantly wealthy....just a thought...and it would make the show better, I think.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
I'm betting they GIVE him a mil... But only if one of the girls sticks by him even if he's poor.

donk

Cyburbian
then further reveal that he is indeed independantly wealthy
I was thinking a similar thing, he is not just a construction worker he owns the company and only pays himself a modest living so that he can retire when he is 40. While he says he only earns 19 000 a year, work pays for his truck, 1/2 his rent (home office) tripsd to the south each year- equipment show etc. He seems a bit too smart to be just a construction worker.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Isn't Joe Millionaire's real last name Marriott? Hmmmm.....

NHPlanner said:
Isn't Joe Millionaire's real last name Marriott? Hmmmm.....
LOL! That's what Cabbie said on Howard Stern this morning! And you're right. I also hate MoJo, this is the Melissa I like, last night I thought she looked like minnie driver, but here, i think she's more Lara Flynn Boyle.

Habanero

Cyburbian
yeah, that's a pretty good pic, but I still see Chelsea-

Who were the women biting the pearls to make sure they were real? You have to laugh though- he gave them a pearl necklace to stay.. what's next?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Originally posted by TexasPlanner You have to laugh though- he gave them a pearl necklace to stay.. what's next? [/B]
NOT GOING ANYWHERE NEAR THAT ONE - NO WAY

TexasPlanner said:
Who were the women biting the pearls to make sure they were real? You have to laugh though- he gave them a pearl necklace to stay.. what's next?
Ugh. i hate half those women - like that doctor who doesn't want to be the breadwinner? blargh. and next week they're getting diamond pendants or something like.

el Guapo

Capitalist
TexasPlanner said:

OMG- that didn't even cross my mind.. whoops. :)
I wouldn't have crossed my mind either except I had ZZ Top's Greatest in the CD player on the way to work. Sorry icon11.gif

donk

Cyburbian
with those dots after it, it was the first thing that crossed my mind.

Habanero

Cyburbian
donk said:
with those dots after it, it was the first thing that crossed my mind.
I was just wondering where you go after a necklace.. does she get rubies and emeralds soon? I mean, with the premise of the show, the goldiest-gold-digger is going to get a diamond ring in the end.. so he should've started with a small gift, like a button or something.

Resolved: All Cyburbia posts degrade to their base level.
Please debate:
What's to debate? I totally agree and will be more careful of my innuendoes knowing they will be taken down a level.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Man, I can't believe you guys watch this lowbrow excrement. I expect this kind of stuff on this other forum I belong to, but not here. Real World - the title couldn't be further from reality - is made by morons, about morons, for morons. Change the channel.

The same goes for Joe Millionaire. 24 high-maintenance golddiggers fighting over some dumb meathead just because they think he's rich. What kind of person would lower him or herself to gleefully watch all that high-maintenance and their petty little snipping? Even if you watch it to make fun of it, you're still watching and that's just fine by the producers, advertisers and marketers.

Last edited:
Super Amputee Cat said:
Man, I can't believe you guys watch this lowbrow excrement. I expect this kind of stuff on this other forum I belong to, but not here.
Sorry to let you down, Cat. But I just can't watch PBS 24/7. :) But really, the way I justify this, is that in reality, I'm watching so much less tv than the average american that if I want to spend my precious few viewing hours on tv smut, then it is ok. i'm still making it to the gym, reading the newspaper and watching the nightly news, so i can live with myself. hey, it isn't like i'm watching wrasslin'! Now how those people hold their heads up.... (kidding, Tim!)

NHPlanner

Staff member
KMateja said:
hey, it isn't like i'm watching wrasslin'! Now how those people hold their heads up.... (kidding, Tim!)
Hey... I haven't watched any WWE in over 2 months! (Of course, I still read results on the net...I'm pathetic....)

donk

Cyburbian
wrasslin'! Now how those people hold their heads up.... (
The weight of the mullet holds their head up.

I have to admit to watching wrasslin' every once in a while too.

I am a culture snob about some things (books, music,architecture) TV is not one of them.
Besides it gives me something to talk about with many of the dregs I have to deal with.