• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Recognition for good application

Streck

Cyburbian
Does anyone ever give commendation letters, or letters of appreciation, or plaques, or certificates to any of their applicants who come to Planning and Zoning meetings with excellant applications within the spirit and goals and aims of the community, and should be recognized and rewarded for their good efforts in the Planning process?

Is recognition ever given for good results of good planning?

Are photos of good results ever published locally to commend the people you work with to encourage them and others to use the process as intended?

SGB

Cyburbian
In my past work, I would often commend good applications in my staff comments to the reviewing board. I would also make a point of asking the chair to publicly commend the applicant as well.

Plaques and certificates, IMO, are a bit "over the top" for someone who is merely following the letter and intent of local regulations.

BKM

Cyburbian
Not for applications per se. But, my employer (City of Fairfield, CA) recognizes exemplary development every two years-we appoint a jury and recognize them at the City Council.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
SGB said:
In my past work, I would often commend good applications in my staff comments to the reviewing board. I would also make a point of asking the chair to publicly commend the applicant as well.
Ditto. But, sadly, it is quite rare to get an application worthy of note.

nerudite

Cyburbian
The City of Vancouver, WA and Clark County used to do a joint design award called the Community Pride Design Awards I think winners got little awards or plaques. It was good publicity for their firms, and I know of a few developers that had their awards mentioned on their websites. I think it was a really good award program and the community really supported it.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have on occasion asked an applicant who did a good job on a particular aspect of developent if I could use their submittals to show applicants the level of detail and quality that we expect. I have a couple of landscape plans, site plans, and architectural plans that I show people to give them an example of a good submittal.