• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Recommend a Movie

Ok - I'm in the last few days (ok - probably couple of weeks) of life without an infant, and to take my mind off the incomprehensible uncomfortable-ness of being 800 weeks (ok - 39) pregnant, I've been dragging Rob to movies, where I can completely forget about how huge I've gotten, and how much my back and hips hurt. We went to see Elf Saturday and LOOOOOOVED it. And I'm thinking about taking tomorrow afternoon off to sneak in a matinee. What do you guys recommend?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I recommend you rent "Whale Rider". Very cool movie about the present day lives and desires of the Moari(sp?) Indians in New Zeland.

Watched this past weekend and really loved it.

(I only rent these days, the theaters are way too expensive)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Go see a good chick flick > like Love Actually. I hear it is really great. I would have done the same as you but Mac decided to come one month early so I am envious.

JNL

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
I recommend you rent "Whale Rider". Very cool movie about the present day lives and desires of the Moari(sp?) Indians in New Zeland.

Watched this past weekend and really loved it.
Glad you liked it. I still haven't seen it but have heard great things about it. By the way, there aren't any Indians native to New Zealand! The native people are the Maori people, who are thought to have arrived in New Zealand around 1000 years ago from some part of Polynesia. [/history lesson]

I want to see 'Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself' which has an awful title I know but apparently if you can get past that, it's meant to be really good. Described as "A tender, eccentric love story with a streak of gallows humour". Don't know if it will be showing in your neck of the woods though Downtown!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I have seen Master and Commander.
It is worth seeing -good reviews also.

Now I want to read the books.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
Go see a good chick flick > like Love Actually. I hear it is really great. I would have done the same as you but Mac decided to come one month early so I am envious.
OT: We need a wedding/baby gallery, with all the big events recently/due soon. TN, you must post the pic you sent of Mac.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Let's see, recomend a movie for a pregnant woman...
EASY! See The Ring! Oh... you don't want to go into labor right in the middle of the movie because you're scared... my bad! :p
Ok... think... there must be a good movie... well if you're having insomnia watch LOTR 2 :p Guarranteed sleeping pill!

JNL

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
Dammit, I need to see the new Matrix already.
Don't bust your boiler to get there, I was quite disappointed with it.

Possible Movie Ideas

The new matrix is great except for the last 10 min. I guess you have to be super religious or something to truly grasp the ending! But it the first 120 min was great!

If you want to see a great movie go see Master and Commander or rent Legends of the Fall, A River Runs Through It, Good Will Hunting, Last of the Mohicans, or you can go cult with Boondock Saints....ah good old vigilante justice!

kms

Cyburbian
My boys and I loved "Looney Toons: Back in Action". I saw "Intolerable Cruelty" a couple of weeks ago and really liked it.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
heheh, has anyone seen "The Secretary"? It's a bit sexy, but it is really great. Going on my top ten.

I saw Love Actually and it's pretty good, although I think more character development would have made it better.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
heheh, has anyone seen "The Secretary"? It's a bit sexy, but it is really great. Going on my top ten.

I saw Love Actually and it's pretty good, although I think more character development would have made it better.
Oh that sounds fun!!

oulevin

Cyburbian
A third on Love Actually; it carries its length well, in my opinion; for a 180 degree turn, go for the ultimate escape, Raiders of the Lost Art :); for great characterization, Glengarry Glen Ross

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Stay home, go to blockbuster, and get:

Shallow Grave
The Others
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Usual Suspects
And all available seasons of cable series like Sex and the City, Oz, Six Feet Under, Queer as Folk, and Sopranos

You'll be entertained well into your fifth trimester. Oopps, did I say that? ;)

Chet said:

You'll be entertained well into your fifth trimester. Oopps, did I say that? ;)
[affectionately]Jackass[/affectionately]

For some reason, being in the movie theater is just so much more engrossing than renting at home. And we have a book of tickets for $5.50, which isn't *too* much more expensive than renting a movie.

My brother (and Jon Stewart) told me that the Matrix blows. And we loved The School of Rock. Has anyone seen Runaway Jury?

tsc

Cyburbian
I wouldnt go see anything with cartoons in it....you'll be seeing enough of those soon. Whatever you see...go for an R rating.... before you fall into the "G"

Bangorian

Well, I have some funny tastes in movies, but here are some goodies I've seen (rented) over the past coupla months:

The Whale Rider - its really excellent
A Mighty Wind - another Chrtistopher Guest movie
The Hours - good but somewhat slow
28 days later - maybe a little scary for the yungun.
Sling Blade - just 'cuz its my favorite.

That's all I can come up with at the moment...

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Movies not to Rent:
-Dreamcatcher
-When Darkness Falls

I'm just waiting for the new Lord of the Rings to come out.

JNL

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
heheh, has anyone seen "The Secretary"? It's a bit sexy, but it is really great.
Yeah I saw it recently, and really liked it. I dragged a friend along with me and she was a bit shocked. But it's not really about S&M is it, that's just a device for a quirky little love story.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
JNL said:
Yeah I saw it recently, and really liked it. I dragged a friend along with me and she was a bit shocked. But it's not really about S&M is it, that's just a device for a quirky little love story.
A good flick...

And, erm, it's much closed to B&D, or even D&S, than anything approaching S&M. (At the risk of letting people realize I know the differences...)

JNL

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
A good flick...

And, erm, it's much closed to B&D, or even D&S, than anything approaching S&M.
You're right. Got my letters mixed up, writing too quickly. I'm no expert, unlike some people..... ;)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
JNL said:
You're right. Got my letters mixed up, writing too quickly. I'm no expert, unlike some people..... ;)
Expert? Who'd that be? Plannergirl, huh?

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Don't rent. GO OUT!!!! I would love to get out now, but I do recommend joining Netflix after the baby is born, so you can at least see some movies.

Originally Posted by Downtown:

"Has anyone seen Runaway Jury?"

Yes, I was dragged along by my wife last week but I was pleasantly surprised. I expected it to be some stuffy courtroom drama but it had enough plot twists and quirky characters to keep it entertaining. Gene Hackman played the "baddie" and John Cusack played the "goodie with a cause".

7.5/10

Here's a really good movie to rent

Hi, I just saw "Acts of Faith". It's the well-done Indie movie about Heroin addiction. I felt like I was really there. It's not really cliche. It's probably teach kids to say no but not in a preachy way. You see what happens to the characters and what they go through and what finally happens. It's inspiring! :)