• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Recommend me a great Gulf city or town

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I have a couple of friends in Buffalo who desperately want to relocate to the Gulf Coast region; anywhere between Pensacola and Galveston, but no large cities like New Orleans or Houston. They prefer Louisiana, but are willing to "settle" (their words) for Mississippi or Alabama. They have a boat, and they prefer being very close to navigable areas.

Do any of you have any recommendations?

H

Cyburbian
Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi (small “bay town” feel, very close to New Orleans.)
Pass Christian, Mississippi (small “beach town” feel, close to Biloxi / Gulfport and New Orleans)
Ocean Springs, Mississippi (high end bedroom community feel, close to Biloxi / Gulfport and Mobile)
Gulf Shores, Alabama (beach vacation feel, close to Mobile)

All unique, all gorgeous, all on water, all within an hour to medium to large cities / airports

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Ft. Walton Beach, Florida is nice, and not quite as touristy as Destin, and it's only 45 minutes east of Pensacola.
I'd move to Pensacola in a heartbeat if not for the close proximity to my in-laws and the proliferation of right-wing lunatics. It's a beautiful city with a vibrant arts community.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Rockport, TX is a quaint little seaside town of about 5,000. It's about 30-45 minutes North of Corpus Christi. It has wonderful seafood restaurants nearby, plus it's close to Corpus Christi, which has a nice aquarium, a retired aircraft carrier open for tours, and a wonderful historic district. If I recall correctly, Rockport has several nice marinas to park your boat in.

Another decent option is nearby Port Aransas/Aransas Pass, though it's not as nice and has fewer ammenties.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Try calling some of the Chambers of Commerce or City Halls in my previously mentioned cities. I'm not sure how bad Claudette trashed these areas. Rockport was only about 25 minutes South of Port O'Conner, where Claudette made landfall. Nearby Seadrift had 97mph sustained winds with gusts around 115.

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
gulf city...in LA

How about Grand Isle, LA. Close to New Orleans, and its right on the gulf. The city is somewhat on the small side, but this appears to be what you're going for.