• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Recommend me a rifle

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I was always a klutz when it came to sports in high school. Did fairly well in golf in college, though. And ... when I'm on the 100 yard range with EG, I'm getting adequate groupings with a poorly sighted, jam-o-rific Marlin rifle. I do even better with a halfway decent rifle.

This might be a calling.

So, shooters of Cyburbia ... recommend me a good .22 rifle. I like the thought of a Browning BL-22 Grade I or Field Grade I ... something along that line. Either bolt action or semi-auto is fine. Quality is key, but I don't want to spend a bundle.

BTW, no handguns, no pump-action rifles, no Marlins, no SKS semi-autos. Thanks.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Dan, try the Ruger 10-22. Had one for years, always reliable, never jams, LOVE IT.

<Comic Book Guy from Simpsons voice>
Best plinker EVER.
</Comic Book Guy from Simpsons voice>

Think you would love it, too, and you can pick 'em up used for less than $150 if you keep your eyes peeled (around $229 new).

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I like the Ruger 77/22 for an affordable quality rifle.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I've always been partial to Rugers (especially their competition .22 handguns), though you will always get a good rifle with a Browning as well.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Lots of good comments regarding Ruger. In my conversations with EG, he also recommended them. Browning is a step above, but Ruger seems to smith an all-around respected rifle. I may have to make a run to Cabela's after work to have a look at the 10/22 and 77/22.

Other brands I should consider?

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
You won't go wrong with a Ruger 10-22. For a step up, I'll second giff's recommendation for the 77/22 - it is a quality bolt-action for a reasonable price. I'm partial to lever actions, so I like the Winchester 94-22. Marlin used to make a sweet little lever action carbine that I really like. I've shot one for 20 years with no problems.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Avoid Carbine's (Short barreled rifles). In my experience, unless you are in actual heavy brush the longer rifles increased accuracy more than makes up for the disadvantage of the added weight. In other words, unless you are going to exclusively hunting squirrels and rabbits in the brush, get a long gun.

Get a Browning if you can afford it. You can always sell it for 80-90% of your original purchase price if the hobby does not last. I know I might be interested at the other end of that purchase if your passion fades. A Ruger 10-22 is a fine choice. You have already had the pleasure of screwing with a crappy Marlin. I would like to pretend that was I teaching the novice a lesson. However, in reality, that gun has sucked since the day I traded for it. It is a curse to its owner. Anybody want it?

Also, learn how to properly clean a gun before you touch that thing. Look for an old guy at the Cabella's Gun section and ask him how to properly clean a gun. The American Gunsmithing Institute has some great videos on basic subjects. I find they are a good value for the amount of information received. It is very important to properly clean the rifle to avoid common mistakes that can degrade its accuracy. In addition, plan on purchasing a hard case cover, a good cleaning kit, and a silicone sock.

Next, comes your NRA membership.[maniacal laughter=6] bummmaha ha ha ha[/maniacal laughter]

pete-rock

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Next, comes your NRA membership.[maniacal laughter=6] bummmaha ha ha ha[/maniacal laughter]
It's the transformation of Dan!

Paraphrasing Winston Churchill: "If you're not a liberal when you're young, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative when you're old, you have no brain."

El Feo

Cyburbian
Don't get me wrong - as I indicated, I'm a Ruger fan. In addition to the 10-22, I have owned a Ruger .357 revolver that I liked a lot, and one of my brothers has a 77-22. But I've owned several different guns (pistols, rifles & shotguns) and I have to step up to defend Marlin a little.

I've owned a little 5 shot bolt-action Marlin for almost as long as I've owned the Ruger. I paid $79 for it new, and it's more than paid for itself in terms of being a fun little can plinker. It's light, I can throw it around in a soft case without worrying about it too much (just $79, y'know?), and it takes the abuse well. Never a peep out of it. Dollar for dollar, it's one of the best I've ever owned or shot.

Still and all, if I were just starting out, and only planned on having one target shooter, I'd go for the Ruger 10-22. It's great for the price, readily available, parts and extra mags are CHEAP, and seems to occupy a nice slot on the price-for-quality scale.

By the way, ditto E.G. on keeping whatever you end up with properly cleaned - $79 or $790, it ain't gonna be much fun for long unless you take good care of it. Plus, there's nothing better than a cheap Hoppe's high!