• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Recommendations for planning related magazines

planasaurus

Cyburbian
Hi. I was wondering if anybody knows of any good planning related magazines out there (besides Planning, of course)? I really like the Sierra Club mazazine, Landscape Architecture, and a few architecture magazines that I always seem to forget the name of. What would you recommend?

The Urban Land Institute's magazine is really good. "Governing" has its moments. The "Metro" magazine is good for transportation - primarily transit - is also good.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'll second the suggestion of Urban Land. It is excellent.

If there are particular fields you are interested in, you might check out whether they have trade magazines you may get for free. They don't often have articles on land use, but they do have information about the industry itself that can help you to understand it. For instance, the International Council of Shopping Centers and "Shopping Center World."

The Federal Reserve System has several publications, but again, more economics that planning.

There are also the academic journals like Land Economics.

Let's not forget JAPA.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Don't you mean instead of Planning? Several people I have talked with agree that it is not the same as a few years ago. Now I just glance at it.

ULI is still very good.

planasaurus

Cyburbian
mike gurnee said:
Don't you mean instead of Planning?
I just mean that everybody gets it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am off to browse at the bookstore tonight (although I know they won't carry all of these).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
If there's anything that's remotely planning-related at the bookstore, it'll be Metropolis magazine (http://www.metropolismag.com). It started off as a hip urbanism/architecture periodical; more recently, it's spread into interior and industrial design. It feels more or less like the architect's equivalent of Wired.

You might find Landscape Architecture magazine (http://www.asla.org/nonmembers/lam.cfm) in some bigger bookstores. Plenty of planning-related articles in there, with pretty pictures to boot.