• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Recommended Reading

PaF

What are your must read or favorite recently read planning related books?
Just looking for some good reading before I head to school in the fall. Thanks!

vaughan

Cyburbian
I see that you're in New York, but if you want a glimpse of planning in the West, give Chris Duerksen's "True West" a try... check it out on the APA website's book service.

otterpop

Cyburbian
vaughan said:
I see that you're in New York, but if you want a glimpse of planning in the West, give Chris Duerksen's "True West" a try... check it out on the APA website's book service.
I second that one.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
I'd recommend Erik Larson's Devil in the White City for its perspective on Daniel Burnham, the Columbian Exposition of 1893, and the effect the fair had on Chicago and urban development in the early part of the 1900's. Plus, the interwoven story of a serial killer who used the fair to lure his victims makes this a great page-turner.

JNL

Cyburbian
I have found this quite interesting (haven't finished it yet):

Behind the Gates: Life, Security and the Pursuit of Happiness in Fortress America
by Setha Low