• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Recreational trail bridge

Rem

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
We had a grand opening recently for our latest trail bridge which spans Interstate 4 in Lake Mary, north of Orlando. Here's a link, please take a look. It's a cable-stayed suspension bridge.
That's a very smick looking bridge. The site doesn't say how much it cost or how you financed it. Can you tell us that?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
That is really cool that you were able to do something that interesting with a pedestrian/bike overpass.

Here is the typical Wisconsin bike bridge:

Not pretty, but it gets us across lakes, rivers, and highways.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Nice! Amazing how some states aren't afraid to spend money on bike/ped issues.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Nice! Amazing how some states aren't afraid to spend money on bike/ped issues.
Wisconsin is ranked 51st among the states when it comes to its commitment of TEA funds. Our state legislature and former Governor Tommy allocated the funds to road building. There is an incredibly strong road construction lobby, and almost no regard for bikes or pedestrians. Fortunately, the local governments in the state have been far more foresighted and responsible. The state has many great recreational and commuter trails, mostly in place as a result of local actions. As an example, the trail under construction in my community now has the involvement of the city, private citizens, the University, the neighboring town(ship), two counties and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. A TEA grant funded a small portion of it.

ecofem

Cyburbian
ZG: That is very cool. I've been watching the construction progress everytime I drove down I-4 to visit Orlando. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to ride across it soon. Seminole County should be proud to be taking the lead among governments in Central Florida on parks, recreation and conservation projects.

Jeff

Cyburbian
OT

Does Seminole County still have the flurescent orange fire trucks?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Recreational trail bridge

Rem said:
That's a very smick looking bridge. The site doesn't say how much it cost or how you financed it. Can you tell us that?
Rem, the bridge cost was about 3.5 mil and it was funded with federal grants and a local trails referendum.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Re: OT

Mike D. said:
Does Seminole County still have the flurescent orange fire trucks?
Most of the equipment is red with white trim, but some of the specialized vehicles are a fluorescent yellow/green. Haven't seen orange, though. Maybe before I got here?

garethace

Cyburbian
Anyone ever use that new plastic bridge that comes up on Discovery Channel documentaries all the time? Somewhere in America, it replaced an older wooden footbridge from the 1920s i think.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I love the new bridge. I wish that we had more of them.

I miss home....

SW MI Planner said:
Impressive ZG! It looks like a mini-Mackinac Bridge...without the ice of course :)

green lizard

Very nice. From one Floridian to another,
it is wonderful when we get it right!

I will make a point to see the bridge first hand
the next time I am in Orlando.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Recreational trail bridge

Zoning Goddess said:
Rem, the bridge cost was about 3.5 mil and it was funded with federal grants and a local trails referendum.
OMG! That is twelve times what we spent on our first 3/4 mile of trail, which included two crossing of a creek (30' spans). We are now planning an underpass that will cost about $100,000, although to be fair, it will be installed while the road is being constructed.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
very cool

That's quite the ped/bike bridge you've got there! It's nice to see a bridge with some style. It's a nice change from the blah concrete bridge with a tunnel of chain-link. That 3.5mil pricetag is a little tough to swallow though. But it is still a beautiful bridge that I hope gets lots of use. Congratulations!