• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

"Red strips" and other unidentifiable foods

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay, so the last few weeks I've noticed that Taco Bell is launching some new chicken caesar wrap type thing. It doesn't look too gross in the ads, but they advertise the "meat" as "red strips" in the commercial. I would assume that it's bacon, or fake bacon, but it doesn't really say. Anyone else finding the vague description of "food" these days a little disturbing?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yeah, especially KFC. Why'd they change the name?

I read the internet rumor somewhere that the FDA make them stop calling it Chicken because it is some genetically mutated industrial processed thing that isnt really chicken anymore.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Bacon...fake bacon...what's the difference? These places are just trying to find some new way to attract customers or appear that the food they serve is somewhat healthy.

On a side note, many c-stores around here like to put on their reader board/pole sign "Breast and Log $1.99" which is chicken and patato wedges.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I've been totally turned off fast foods in the past year or so. Had a couple of bad experiences. Now subs are pretty much the only "mainstream" fast foods I will go near. My wife and I have started buying a lot more organic stuff, and will try to prepare most things from scratch now instead of buying prepared foods.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I've been totally turned off fast foods in the past year or so. Had a couple of bad experiences. Now subs are pretty much the only "mainstream" fast foods I will go near. My wife and I have started buying a lot more organic stuff, and will try to prepare most things from scratch now instead of buying prepared foods.
Good for you! I love untreated, organic, locally-grown food. Will you be planting a veggie garden once you move into the new manse?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Michael Stumpf said:
Good for you! I love untreated, organic, locally-grown food. Will you be planting a veggie garden once you move into the new manse?
Oh yeah. We've got one going right now out at my parents.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Chet said:

I read the internet rumor somewhere that the FDA make them stop calling it Chicken because it is some genetically mutated industrial processed thing that isnt really chicken anymore.
Apparently the word fried had a stigma with focus groups. I have trouble believing that there is anyone who doesn't know what KFC stands for.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Take the mystery out of the "Mystery Meat" and just don't eat meat at all. A cow will thank you.

donk

Cyburbian
mike,

first liquor now meat, and you have no respect for me because I drive a jetta...

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Life Sustaining Grease

If it is deep fried in some kind of animal fat, it will give you all the life sustaining grease a person could love. Red, blue, green, purple! As long is it is crispy, can be over dunked in some kind of sauce, and can be chased with beer, it can't possibly be to bad for you! :)

SGB

Cyburbian
Re: Life Sustaining Grease

Duke Of Dystopia said:
If it is deep fried in some kind of animal fat, it will give you all the life sustaining grease a person could love. Red, blue, green, purple! As long is it is crispy, can be over dunked in some kind of sauce, and can be chased with beer, it can't possibly be to bad for you! :)
This was my mantra once also. Then I had a fasting blood test last week. :(

Now I'm actually reading the nutrition labels on stuff.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Red meat is the deadliest thing on this planet. A cow is probably the most unhealthy animal you could eat, next to only a pig.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Life Sustaining Grease

SGB said:
This was my mantra once also. Then I had a fasting blood test last week. :(

Now I'm actually reading the nutrition labels on stuff.
None of us get out of here alive :)

I have listened to the health food types tell me everything I eat was bad for me since I can remember. Then I watch the nightly news.

Alcahol is bad / some is good for you
fat is bad / some fats are good for you
colesterol is bad / the right kind of colesterol is good for you
meat is bad / meat can now be the center of your diet and is good

running is good / running can cause hip knee & ankle problems
loosing weight is good / bouncy diets are bad

My favorite was the study where they found that couch potatoes lived longer than excercise nuts. Laughed and giggled for days on that one.

Have just decided that if eating greasy food is the price I pay to interact with people and actually have some quality of life, then I can skip those last 5 years in a wheelchair. I will probably keel over dead with a massive coronary in my mid 60's, but I know I will be punishing golf balls for existing right up to the time I drop in my tracks :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I'am with Mike and SGB
I have gone even further by reducing or eliminating pizza, rice, potatoes, dairy products

biscuit

Cyburbian
Growing up on a "farm" where once a year one of the free range organic Ole Bessies would go missing and the deep freezer would be stocked with meat a few days later. The steaks were very lean and tender, and grocery store meat can't compete with the taste. Having been spoiled by that stuff all those years, I have little to no taste for other red meat and haven't eated it in a long time.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Life Sustaining Grease

Duke Of Dystopia said:
Then I watch the nightly news.
That's not good for you. :p

Alcahol is bad / some is good for you
fat is bad / some fats are good for you
colesterol is bad / the right kind of colesterol is good for you
meat is bad / meat can now be the center of your diet and is good

running is good / running can cause hip knee & ankle problems
loosing weight is good / bouncy diets are bad
So in short, everything in moderation... Gee, the greeks had that figured out like 2500 years ago.

But seriously, lay off the evening news man. Nothing good can come of that.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
A cow is probably the most unhealthy animal you could eat, next to only a pig.
And did you ever wonder why that cow was so unhealthy? Look what it ate all its life -- grass! Now if it had eaten good food, like a bacon cheeseburger... Argrrg.... (Homer drooling noise)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Life Sustaining Grease

But seriously, lay off the evening news man. Nothing good can come of that. [/B][/QUOTE]

I AGREE! :)

The bad news half hour can really lay some hurt on ! :)

I do my best to abstain! :)

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Cow is bad, buffalo is good. I have had buffalo meat a few times and it is really delicious. I prefer it over any other meat, but it's generally hard to come by. I recommend it if you haven't already tried it. It's much leaner than beef, etc.etc.

I drove past a semi full of chickens the other day. IT was horrendously disgusting. I will never eat chicken again (unless organic and free-range) after seeing that. Nasty stench, nasty chicken asses hanging out if the truck...just gros gross gross.

I agree that everything in moderation is good. Vegetarians are smart, but then there's all that fake-bacon and you get in to the "if it's not really a hot dog, what is it and HOW did they get it to taste like a hot dog"?

In the evolution of man, brains grew significantly after man learned to hunt (instead of scavenge) and ate meat regularly.(Disc. Channel). Is it because they were hunting and that required skill, or was it the increase in protein they were getting? I'm voting for the protein.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Chet said:

Yeah, my brother told my girlfriend that once and she sill won't eat there anymore. What I heard (and tend to believe more) is that they didn't like the negative connotations that come with the word "fried," especially since people are becoming more health conscious.

As for Taco Bell, I thought the red strips were just red tortillas...not that I would order one of those things anyways. I'll stick with my hard shell taco supremes.

I don't like fast food very much, but every once in a while I get a craving for some Taco Bell, Taco Johns, KFC, and White Castle. However, you could destroy every McDonalds, Hardee's, and Burger King I wouldn't miss them at all.

I like these new fast-casual restaurants like Cosi, Panera, Q-Doba, and Noodles and Co. Seems like you get food that is healthier for around 6 bucks.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mike D. said:
Red meat is the deadliest thing on this planet. A cow is probably the most unhealthy animal you could eat, next to only a pig.
At least I will die happier for that rib eye I had last night.

SGB

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
Cow is bad, buffalo is good. I have had buffalo meat a few times and it is really delicious. I prefer it over any other meat, but it's generally hard to come by. I recommend it if you haven't already tried it. It's much leaner than beef, etc.etc.
The best meal I ever had while camping was a buffalo roast cooked all day over a campfire. Mmmmmmm [Homer Simpson drooling sound]

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Vegetarian Extinction

Omnivorous is good, keeps us on the playing field and flexible.

Vegetarian? It takes no brains to sneak up on a blade of grass! :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I had an ostrich burger on Saturday night and I was very impressed. Quite tasty and from what the waitress told me, it is leaner than ground beef.

Tom R

Cyburbian
meat

My cholesterol was just a few points below Crisco. I've cut back on the fatty stuff. I love cheese, especially the sharp kind that bites back. When the BIG one comes, I hope I throw a rod through the block. I don'k think much of sitting around in Depends, drooling.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
As for Taco Bell, I thought the red strips were just red tortillas...
Hmmm... that would make sense too.

I just checked the website, and you are right... they are tortilla strips. Believe it or not, that makes me a little less scared of the product.

But then... I looked at the nutritional info on the website: one of the grilled chicken caesar burritos is 700 calories, with 310 calories from fat. That's 54% of your daily fat intake. Yuck! I wonder how many people are thinking "salad... that's gotta be healthy". I wonder if the lawyers are lining up for yet another class action lawsuit.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Hmmm... that would make sense too.

I just checked the website, and you are right... they are tortilla strips. Believe it or not, that makes me a little less scared of the product.

But then... I looked at the nutritional info on the website: one of the grilled chicken caesar burritos is 700 calories, with 310 calories from fat. That's 54% of your daily fat intake. Yuck! I wonder how many people are thinking "salad... that's gotta be healthy". I wonder if the lawyers are lining up for yet another class action lawsuit.
When I worked at McDonalds as a youth we used to laugh at the people who would order a chef salad and get thousand island dressing, thinking they were eating healthy. It had more calories than anything on the menu. I think even more than a BigMac and fried. Same with that nasty Taco Bell salad in the tortilla bowl.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Anyone here read "Fast Food Nation"? Great book. I haven't eaten red meat since I was 14. Taco Bell was my one weakness if I felt like fast food. After that book, can't do Taco Bell anymore!

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I've been meaning to read that. I'll pick it up this week! I've heard many many great things about it and people I know who have read it say the same thing- no more fast food, no more red meat. I definately think that's a loss I could handle.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm trying to tone down the red meat a bit, eating more nuts, but I've always eaten a lot of salads, veggies, etc. So I'm probably about average. Not a meataholic, not any versionof vegetarian. Just can't see going the rest of my days without a real, juicy, drippy burger.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I try not to eat as much red meat, but a good rare steak? Yum. Would it be better if I cooked it in olive oil? :) I used to not eat red meat, but now, it's too good to pass up and it boosts iron levels.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
hehe, I got that George Foreman grill a while ago as a gift. It's supposed to drain all the grease out of the meat, leaner meat and all that. It makes the meat SO DRY it's not even chewable any more. I DO like it for vegetables and grilled cheese sammiches thoguh.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Chet said:

Fun Fact for the day:

The first Kentucky Fried Chicken was located right here in Utah in 1952. A burger store owner met the Colonel and he offered to cook some chicken for him. The rest is history. He picked Kentucky because it was in the south where most people associate fried chicken.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I only eat meat if I kill it myself i.e. venison, and then, only in the off-season (November)