• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Reducing 4-lanes to 3-lanes - A great video from a Iowa Dept of Transportation (IDOT).

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner

This video about the benefits of 4-lane to 3-lane conversions is pretty good.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Apparently someone in the legislature isn't so keen about the DOT encouraging such shenanigans.

• HF41 | Legislation restricting the Department of Transportation from advising cities on how to alter four-lane roads to three-lane roads with additional space for parking or bike lanes was introduced but not assigned a subcommittee.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Apparently someone in the legislature isn't so keen about the DOT encouraging such shenanigans.

• HF41 | Legislation restricting the Department of Transportation from advising cities on how to alter four-lane roads to three-lane roads with additional space for parking or bike lanes was introduced but not assigned a subcommittee.
What?

State Law 345-31: The DOT shall not perform it's actual job and purpose for existence.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
They've done that on several streets here in Fort Worth and people routinely complain about it. The first road diet they did was highly successful and helped revitalize an older strip of restaurants and businesses into one of the trendiest spots in town. They did it to a nascent commercial area along with a complete rebuild of the road- curbs and everything- but it's too soon to know if it will help that area. I think it will though.

They did it on a 4-lane commuting thoroughfare between two residential neighborhoods. It helps having a bike lane there and I suppose the school crossings are safer but drivers pretty much universally hate it. I'd love to see what the rate of accidents is on that strip compared to pre-road diet.

They've proposed it for a 4 mile stretch from downtown through a commercial area in the barrio. Again the bike lane might work out pretty good for me; I could ride almost continuous bike lanes from my neighborhood to downtown once that's complete. (It's not like I don't already have very passable alternatives to get there though.)

Fort Worth T/PW is not afraid to take roads from 4 to 3 lanes but most drivers don't like the idea.

Last edited:

glutton

Cyburbian
Love the video, thanks for sharing! Kudos to Iowa DOT for being proactive about public perception.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
They've done that on several streets here in Fort Worth and people routinely complain about it. The first road diet they did was highly successful and helped revitalize an older strip of restaurants and businesses into one of the trendiest spots in town. They did it to a nascent commercial area along with a complete rebuild of the road- curbs and everything- but it's too soon to know if it will help that area. I think it will though.

They did it on a 4-lane commuting thoroughfare between two residential neighborhoods. It helps having a bike lane there and I suppose the school crossings are safer but drivers pretty much universally hate it. I'd love to see what the rate of accidents is on that strip compared to pre-road diet.

They've proposed it for a 4 mile stretch from downtown through a commercial area in the barrio. Again the bike lane might work out pretty good for me; I could ride almost continuous bike lanes from my neighborhood to downtown once that's complete. (It's not like I don't already have very passable alternatives to get there though.)

Fort Worth T/PW is not afraid to take roads from 4 to 3 lanes but most drivers don't like the idea.
Might have a little something to do with that mayor of yours that so many other Texas cities are jealous of...

Doohickie

Cyburbian
You might think that, but this all started prior to her becoming mayor. She's just kept the ball rolling. (For those who don't know, Mayor Betsy Price is an avid cyclist.)

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian

The video is a good one but I don't understand HOW this legislation could be brought forth!

Here in Georgia, the State adopted a Complete Streets Policy (which goes hand-in-hand here, IMO) in 2012 but it's just recently that we've started to see them implement it. Better late than never, I suppose.

UrbaneSprawler

Cyburbian
Folks might fine this article of interest with City of Boulder's (CO) "right-sizing" project of a few years back reducing 4 lanes to 3. Backlash ensued and there was a right-sizing reversal.