• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Reducing the ease of e-communications with the White House

SGB

Cyburbian
Do you want to send an email to the President?

Good Luck!

I especially like (NOT!) that you are expected to choose a topic of their choice, not your own: "Completing a message to the president also requires choosing a subject from the provided list......"

Jeff

Cyburbian
It's fine, they must get millions of e-mails a week. This will hopefully help them sort through it all.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
So write a letter, send it via regular US mail. Writing is a lost art anyway because of email.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
No biggie. Its not like the President ever sees any of these e-mails anyway unless it makes for a nice campaign ad. I wonder what happens when you say you disagree with White House policy. I would assume you get added to a "spam" list and all future e-mails you sent are automatically dumped into the junk mail folder. ;)

El Feo

Cyburbian
[tinfoil hat]

Man, don't you know, you don't NEVER e-mail no gummint 'fishuls?

They can TRACK you that way, and get access to all your bank accounts! AND, they use it to direct the aliens to your house so you can be abducted, and reprogrammed so you're more receptive to oil and cigarette ads!

No WAY they're gonna fool me into doing that. I'm moving off the grid in a few months, so I can live under the REAL U.S. Constitution.

[/tinfoil hat]

;)

jordanb

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
It's fine, they must get millions of e-mails a week. This will hopefully help them sort through it all.
According to the article they get 15,000 a day, or 105,000 a week. That's a lot but probably no more than Clinton got. I suspect that the article is right that the idea is to cut down on mail. Sorting it would have been about the least labor intensive bit anyway.

Also, I suspect that it'll end up being used as sort of an unscientific poll. The message never gets read (unless they're looking for a quote for a speech or something), the category and "pro/con" gets registered by the computer. They could save everyone a lot of work and just put up a web poll.

The Irish One

If you write your congressman or senator, you will get a standard reply from a staffer, I might have got a personal staffer reply, can't remember. I have received personal replies from the defense department a few times. But they would only reply to things they agreed with but still it wasn't a computer.
I used to write to the President on stuff that pissed me off about the administartion.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
According to the article they get 15,000 a day, or 105,000 a week. That's a lot but probably no more than Clinton got. I suspect that the article is right that the idea is to cut down on mail. Sorting it would have been about the least labor intensive bit anyway.

Also, I suspect that it'll end up being used as sort of an unscientific poll. The message never gets read (unless they're looking for a quote for a speech or something), the category and "pro/con" gets registered by the computer. They could save everyone a lot of work and just put up a web poll.
I think you hit on it. After you've checked off the category, whether pro or con, and a few other things, a "personalized" automated response gets sent out. So much for any attempt to pay attention to your constituency.