• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Regulation Reflected light

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Scenario: Neighbor complains to city hall their neighbors recently constructed metal roof is reflecting the suns rays when at a certain angle into their house and causing someone migraines.

Have you ever heard of a community regulating reflective surfaces (metal, water, glass)?

Last edited by a moderator:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
whoa no - just on solar projects do we require no glare products but yeah metal roofs might be problem I hadn't thought of

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Scenario: Neighbor complains to city hall their neighbors recently constructed metal roof is reflecting the suns rays when at a certain angle into their house and causing someone migraines.

Have you ever heard of a community regulating reflective surfaces (metal, water, glass)?
Nope and I really hope to never have to.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"

Yes, it is an old CEQA question when you are reviewing a plan, but hey it is california we are talking about here.

bureaucrat#3

We had a climate control facility locate at the base of an airport runway. The Planning Commission required a painted, non-reflective roof based on some specific standards recommended by the Airport Authority.

Otherwise, I've only received one complaint in 17 years for a reflective roof.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
A couple of Frank Gehry's museums have had reflective issues - one in LA and one in Spain, IIRC.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian

We vaguely do if houses are proposed in mapped viewshed areas (so it would be a condition of subdivision approval). It has never come up and I hope it never does.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
For buildings, I've seen light reflective value (LRV) maximums of 30% and 40% in zoning codes with fairly strict architectural regulations, mainly outside of the Northeast US. Some codes with LRV regulations have exceptions for window and door trim, or a certain percentage of the elevation area.

There's also some codes with performance standards prohibiting or limiting glare. Here's something I write for a for a UDC project that was put on the back burner. it's in the regs because solar panels and metal roofs are very popular around here.

A use must not create or reflect nuisance, discomfort, or disability levels of glare (Unified Glare Index rating of ≥20) to neighboring buildings, properties, or streets.

Welding, torch cutting, or similar processes must not visible past the lot line.