• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Regulation or prohibition of exotic pets

SGB

Cyburbian
A perhaps slightly OT inquiry

(Dan) Changed message subject so it describes the thread topic.

Does anyone have a good local law on the regulation or prohibition of exotic pets?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Ours is pretty good, drafted in reaction to some broad that had a Tiger and a Wallabee as house pets.

You can see it here . Look at section 13.03.

H

Cyburbian
h#ll no. my family has a family bobcat/linx mix :)

his name is bobbi and he is awsome.

we got him from my wife's uncle's exotic animal farm in Arkansas.

:-D

SGB

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Ours is pretty good, drafted in reaction to some broad that had a Tiger and a Wallabee as house pets.

You can see it here . Look at section 13.03.

Great! Thanks, Chet!

Rem

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Stone the crows mate - a Wallaby only drinks beer and drops a football - never hurt anyone (except a pansy Kiwi - sorry pansys).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
310.2 Animal - companion

310.2.2 Definition
Companion animal -- domesticated animal kept as a pet, including dogs, cats, rabbits, ferrets, birds, or non-poisonous reptiles. Household pets do not include exotic canines normally found in the wild (wolves, ≥50% wolf hybrids, foxes, coyotes, dingos, etc.), exotic felines normally found in the wild (lions, tigers, cougars, etc.), poultry, game and fighting birds; hoofed and cloven animals; and any species that has not been domesticated and bred to serve as a companion animal; such animals are considered inappropriate in residential areas.

310.2.3 Permitted locations
 One to four companion animals at a dwelling are permitted by right in any zoning district.
 Any number of quiet small animals such as birds, fish, rodents and non-poisonous reptiles at a dwelling are permitted by right in any zoning district, if there is no commercial activity other than a home occupation, and no breeding operation.
 Five to eight companion animals at a dwelling unit are considered subject to administrative review. Considerations include lot size and location; and breed traits such as size, energy, temperament and potential for noise. A negative decision by the Town Planner may be appealed to the Planning and Zoning Board, through consideration subject to special review.
 Nine or more companion animals at a dwelling unit are considered subject to special review.
 Sales of companion animals, excepting quiet small animals, are prohibited in the C-V, C-G, and I-G districts.

310.2.4 Conditions
For litters, refer to the requirements for a kennel (§306.25).

SGB

Cyburbian
the background.....

Thanks for the code language, Dan.

(Some libertarians may find the following offensive.)

One of our Town Supervisors (the chief elected officer) asked me for sample code language on exotic pets in response to one python that escaped from its home in a neighboring town, which was then found and relocated to a home in his town.

Neighbors bugging out, missing small pets now considred by some to have become python food, chaos and general disorder abound.

One python = need for new regulation?!?!

Sigh.....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: the background.....

SGB said:
One python = need for new regulation?!?!

Sigh.....

Serisouly, this is how 99% of local regulations are formulated.

Rem

Cyburbian
JNL said:
You'll keep, mate. Just you wait till the World Cup, then there'll be some sad wallabies:p
Ooooh. I though I had slipped this by you.

I'm not actually looking forward to the World Cup. I think the Wallabies will do better than some are predicting (many commentators believe they won't even make the quarter finals due to the difficult group we have drawn) but winning may be a step too far. I'm also aggrieved by the ticketing situation. I could not get a ticket to the games I wanted to see and all the hotels in the venue cities have doubled or tripled their tariffs - so I decided to sulk and not go to any games.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Is anyone dealing with minature ponies? They are being trained to help the blind, but being of the horse family we don't allow them in most residentail districts (horse property exculded).