• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Releasing your inner Karen

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
When I go out to eat and have a poor dining experience for whatever reason I will typically vote with my feet and never return as a customer. I can count on two fingers the number of times I “spoke to the manager” and both times were because of a problem with the bill. No, I’m not interested in ‘fixing’ your business or telling you how to run it. Undoubtedly, customer feedback is an important component to evaluating operations, but I don’t view it as my job to continue offering my patronage and putting up with bad business practices while you ‘figure it out’.

Tell us about the last time you pulled a Karen. Did you get comp’ed in some manner?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'll do the same thing, and vote with my wallet.

I'm.a bit of a picky eater, and messed up restaurant orders are part of the territory. I usually point it out to the server, not the manager.
I've been wanting to write a complaint letter to a local gas station. Their pumps play ads through tinny speakers with the volume turned up to 11, and it's sheer torture to fill up there. It's why I include "no audio POS advertising or infotainment" provisions in codes I write.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, there was this one time at Appleebees... but you know the rest of that story.

There are have been a few times when something goes horribly wrong I will first ask the server to make it right. If they fail to, I go to up the chain. One manager in particular said that he would comp us for part of our meal because there was issues with it, but he said that we would need to order something else because the cook was not able to make the item we ordered, despite it being on the menu. It was the last time we went there.

Reactions: DVD

DVD

Cyburbian
Ditto, but my wife went raging Karen on them. I don't typically go Karen, like Maister I just don't come back.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I just write places off. I don't complain about food or send it back, It's a hassle. If asked if everything is okay, I will speak up but only when asked.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I remember a time years ago where we tolerated the EXTREMELY poor service, cold food, and lack of attention. We 'finished' our meal and paid our bill. As we were walking out of the restaurant, we walked past the manager, who we recognized because of how often we frequented the restaurant, and my husband quickly said "wow, worst service ever tonight". To his credit, the manager followed us out the door, asked for additional details, and gave us a gift card to come back. On our next visit, they were great again.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I did a "speak with the manager" on Sunday.

Went to one of the YMCA branches available in my fine area, and in the locker room noticed a woman sitting on a bench. Fully clothed, just sitting, staring at the wall of lockers in front of her. I thought about asking if she was okay, but she seemed to be merely lost in thought. I changed and went out to the exercise space.

Returned about an hour later, and .... she was setting up for afternoon prayer. In the locker room.

Because I am a member at a non-denominational liberal church, which interfaces with other faith communities, this was a familiar concept. We've visited the local mosque, and witnessed afternoon prayer held in a huge room and segregated by gender.

On my way past the reception desk, I engaged one of the counter kids in discussion, suggesting that perhaps staff could greet her as she left, and offer her a quiet classroom or empty dance studio. Another staffer stated that some Muslims have used the chapel for this purpose. They agreed to send another building staffer to look for her, not interrupting, and make this happen.