• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Remember the '80's?!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Are you kidding? I AM THE '80s

I swear I'm stuck there (especially musically). I even still have shirts from the '80s - you know the kind you'd get at Chess King with the flip-up collar and rolled up short sleeves...

I never did like New Coke though...

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Re: Are you kidding? I AM THE '80s

bturk said:
I swear I'm stuck there (especially musically). I even still have shirts from the '80s - you know the kind you'd get at Chess King with the flip-up collar and rolled up short sleeves...

I never did like New Coke though...
HEY! I used to shop at Chess King!!! Whatever happened to that dive?!

Just curious, did you ever shop at the Chess King with a mullet?

Jeff

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
whats that?

He did the Coke commercials right??

The crazy head nod thing, with the animation that caused seizures in young children

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
ok i have no memory of this thing. must have been between 85-88 when i was out of the country

i miss the music too!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Are you kidding? I AM THE '80s

Beaner said:
Just curious, did you ever shop at the Chess King with a mullet?
No, I had BIG '80s HAIR like this (and seriously this was not photoshpped):

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
oh thats bad! you look MUCH better with the short stuff going on

my hair is big no matter what i do to it *sigh*

i wonder how much LESS hairspray we use now than then

OMG!!! I had the big Doorknocker earrings, and wore two pairs of socks OVER my french rolled jeans. hee!

nerudite

Cyburbian
The most hilarious thing I remember from the 80s were leg warmers. We used to wear them over jeans... in Los Angeles... on 85 degree days!

JNL

Cyburbian
I was only born in '79 so was just a young 'un in the 80s, but I have to confess to doing the two pairs of socks rolled down thing so the you got the colout contrast, and I remember knitting my own legwarmers! Oh man, knitting was cool there for a while when I was about 8. But who wants to remember 80s fashion? It just makes me cringe! I wasn't allowed to get my hair permed which I am thankful for now, but at the time I was jealous of my older sisters perms.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
It's okay to be a young'un JNL. So am I.

Funnily enough, my colleague and I spent all of yesterday downloading the theme tunes to all the 80s and early 90s cartoons we used to watch: Jayce & the wheeled warriors, Ulysses, M*A*S*K, Cities of Gold, Prince Valiant.... Fantastic!

We decided to leave He-Man, She-Ra and Dungeons & Dragons where they were. Yucky stuff.

Might go have a look at the A-Team stuff today.

donk

Cyburbian
I hate to admit it, I wear leg warmers, Mike D. probably does too. Nothing like the ones from the 80's though.

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:
I hate to admit it, I wear leg warmers, Mike D. probably does too. Nothing like the ones from the 80's though.
No just some really neat looking tights or knickers.

Chicks dig me in those outfits...really shows off the butt ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
December 8, 1995. The day that young goombas everywhere wept.

Merry-Go-Round Enterprises, Inc. (410-538-1000) plans to close 375 stores including the elimination of its Chess King stores beginning after January 1. The company plans to convert approximately 40 Chess King units into its other three concepts, Merry-Go-Round, Cignal and Dejaiz. The company also plans to continue to operate its Boogie's Diner concept.

Now, if you really remember the '80s ... how about a mall store called Airport?

nerudite

Cyburbian
I was watching a rerun of That 70's Show last night where Eric takes a trip into the future to "THE 80s"... it was a pretty funny one... The Safety Dance figured prominently, and Fez was a cover artist who sang songs like Don't Worry Be Happy. I'm sure any 80s fans would love it....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The Gipper, new wave music, and the Atari 2600. All very 1980s, but if there's one thing that absolutely, positively screams "1980s! 1980s!", it's this.

Are you ready?

First when there's nothing
But a slow glowing dream
That your fear seems to hide
Deep inside your mind

All alone I have cried
Silent tears full of pride
In a world made of steel
Made of stone

Well, I hear the music
Close my eyes, feel the rhythm,
Wrap around, take a hold of my heart

What a feeling. Too bad the rest of us looked like this.

statler

Cyburbian
Journeymouse said:
Jayce & the wheeled warriors, Ulysses, M*A*S*K, Cities of Gold, Prince Valiant.... Fantastic!

M*A*S*K Now that was the coolest toy EVER!!!

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
In Honor of Canadian Avatar Theme Week

Remember Phil Hartman as Ronald Reagon on Saturday Night Live?

May god rest his soul and funny ass for all of eternity.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Too bad the rest of us looked like this

OMG where the F did you get a hold of my high school yearbook?

...and who knew that El Guapo's real name is Wency Polit ?

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Did you hear that Laura Branigan died?

Laura Branigan, 47, Pop Singer, Is Dead

Laura Branigan, a singer whose high-volume vocals in the disco song "Gloria" propelled her into pop stardom, died in her sleep on Thursday night at her home in East Quogue, N.Y. She was 47.

The cause was a brain aneurysm, said her brother Mark Branigan.

After touring as a backup singer with Leonard Cohen, Ms. Branigan released her first album, "Branigan," in 1982. It included "Gloria," which became a hit, lasting on the pop charts for 36 weeks. It earned her a Grammy nomination for best female pop vocalist, the first of four nominations in her career.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Wanigas? said:
No way!

My parents really dated themselves wheneer they both expressed shock whenever some Broadway actress, unknown or obscure to me, passed away and it was announced on the evening news. "Oh my God! Gwen Verdon died!" Now, actors and musicians from my generation are beginning to occasionally pass away, which makes me feel a bit old.

Here's another "I'm getting really old moment.

You know how old Toni Basil is? You know, "Hey Mickey!"

(from http://www.swinginchicks.com)

61. Yes, sixty one years old.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I swear I'm stuck there (especially musically).
I respect anyone who can suck it up and admit to this. Fortunately I don't have to, but let's keep in mind that Metallica, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, etc... were all 80's bands.

Atari, leg warmers, Steakem's, Different Strokes, The Benny Hill Show, Liverpool vs. Manchester United, Friday the 13th movies and wanting to kick George Michael's face it. That's what I remember of the 80's.

tsc

Cyburbian
I was out to dinner with a friend of mine on Saturday.... and she said "just you wait until the 80's are back in style....I'll be cool in my big sunglasses and blue mascara"

Oh...I did high school and college in the 80's.... Culture Club, Steve Winwood, Genesis, General Hospital <Luke and Laura> Madonna's first hit "Holiday" (they kept her identity a secret so she would be accepted in the dance clubs.

Hceux

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Here's another "I'm getting really old moment.

You know how old Toni Basil is? You know, "Hey Mickey!"

(from http://www.swinginchicks.com)

61. Yes, sixty one years old.
I can't believe that Toni Basil is 61 yrs old. Wow. 8-!

I can't really offer much for you 80s swooners because I was a young child for the entire decade.

I bet there one of us who have learned how to use the Skip-it, to do the double dutch, and to play with the Pogo-Ball all in one recess! C'mon reveal who you are! ;)

Other memories of the 80s include the craze of MC Hammer, NKOTB, coily shoelaces, tight biking shorts, T-man, Californian Raisins, Play-doh Fun Factory, E.T., Etch-Sketch, Karate Kids, Back to the Future, Hot Wheel Car Wash, Inspector Gadget, Nintendo, Gameboy, Smurfs, big and mile-high bangs, and neon colours.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Hceux said:
Other memories of the 80s include the craze of MC Hammer, NKOTB, coily shoelaces, tight biking shorts, T-man, Californian Raisins, Play-doh Fun Factory, E.T., Etch-Sketch, Karate Kids, Back to the Future, Hot Wheel Car Wash, Inspector Gadget, Nintendo, Gameboy, Smurfs, big and mile-high bangs, and neon colours.
Let's not forget t-shirts with big lettering (Frankie Say Relax), New Wave (anyone else remember the Busboys?), boxy sedans, the advent of 'yuppies', Michael J Fox, massive federal deficit spending (what year is this?)

ebeech121

Cyburbian
I was born in December of 1982. I started kindergarten in 1988.

Here's what I remember of the 1980s: eat, sleep, poop, repeat.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Maister said:
Let's not forget t-shirts with big lettering (Frankie Say Relax), New Wave (anyone else remember the Busboys?), boxy sedans, the advent of 'yuppies', Michael J Fox, massive federal deficit spending (what year is this?)
Exactly ... the 80s are back!

SHIRTS
WITH BIG
LETTERING
LIKE THIS

Not around, fortunately. Emo irony and bling bling are the latest pop fashion trends.

New wave: sadly faded away. At least Sirius has a new wave stream.

Boxy sedans: see "bling bling." Such cars, especially "box Chevys" and other GM cars based on the B-body plaform are in heavy demand among those wanting a pimpin' ride.

Yuppies: I've always said that there is a big difference between a 1980s yuppie and a contemporary yuppie, and that simply being in the upper middle class does not make one a yuppie. See my posts in this thread, and especially post 20. Post 17 in this thread is another one of my descriptions of Denver yuppiedom.

Michael J Fox: Alex P Keaton's dream has finally come true; a lessez-faire economy, and Republicans controlling the executive and legislative branches.

Massive federal deficit spending: There's already enough Bush-bashing threads, and I don't want to see this post turn in that direction. Reagan-bashing is very 1980s, however.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Ahhh, the 80s! These were my musical favorites! I used to listen to these cassettes ALL of the time. My poor parents...

4 - Foreigner
American Fool - John Cougar
Asia - Asia
Beauty and the Beat - The Go-Go's
Freeze-Frame - J. Geils Band
Get Lucky - Loverboy
Tattoo You - Rolling Stones

bad bad bad:
All of that Valley Girl crap: "Grody to the max" and "Gag me with a spoon."
feathered hair plastered with hairspray

Tom R

Cyburbian
80's

Uh, yeah, uh, I think I got the 80's down ok.The late 60's and early 70' are a bit foggy though.

SGB

Cyburbian
Dance remixes!

I still got a couple of grocery bags full of these in vinyl. Anyone remember vinyl?

nerudite

Cyburbian
SGB said:
Dance remixes!

I still got a couple of grocery bags full of these in vinyl. Anyone remember vinyl?
Yeah, I just lost about 350 - 450 vinyl lps in the flood. Lots of 12" remixes in there... :(

biscuit

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Exactly ... the 80s are back!

Not around, fortunately. Emo irony and bling bling are the latest pop fashion trends.

New wave: sadly faded away. At least Sirius has a new wave stream.
Emo is so passe and for the high school crowd anymore Dan. ;-) The eighties, or some mutation of eighties sound and style is indeed back however. Music, although not entirely mainstream yet, is getting away from the false anger of nu-metal and the suburban white-boy pathos and irony of emo, and has turned more torwards the more sincere and fun sounds of bands like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Franz Ferdinand, the Killers, and the Postal Service (can anyone say, "Joy Division").

Another sign that the 80's are coming back is the slow death of the hipster. I'm starting to see fewer and fewer people out dressed in low-rider pants, suit jackets over vintage t-shirts and trucker hats. Instead I've noticed more khaki type pants, polo shirts and sandals (thank the lord, my people have returned. The day of the prep is upon us once again :r: ). Oh, and still further proof the eighties are back, those polo shirts are being worn with the collar turned up.

Budgie

Cyburbian
SGB said:
Dance remixes!

Tons of vinyl, I've probably got 400 lbs of vinyl in my apartment.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
biscuit said:
The eighties, or some mutation of eighties sound and style is indeed back however. Music, although not entirely mainstream yet, is getting away from the false anger of nu-metal and the suburban white-boy pathos and irony of emo, and has turned more torwards the more sincere and fun sounds of bands like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Franz Ferdinand, the Killers, and the Postal Service (can anyone say, "Joy Division").

Another sign that the 80's are coming back is the slow death of the hipster. I'm starting to see fewer and fewer people out dressed in low-rider pants, suit jackets over vintage t-shirts and trucker hats. Instead I've noticed more khaki type pants, polo shirts and sandals (thank the lord, my people have returned. The day of the prep is upon us once again :r: ). Oh, and still further proof the eighties are back, those polo shirts are being worn with the collar turned up.
Isn't "the nostalgiac era" always two decades previous (grownups looking back at their formative/coming of age years). So, back in the 70's, 50's nostalgia was all the rage (think Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley). So it stands to reason that the 80's should be nostalgiacized (shhhh nobody tell Mendelman I used a made up word after giving him sh*t about 'librarying') now.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
yeah, Maister, you suck at engrish.

but you're right about the 20 year cycle of nostalgia for a particular era.

Lava lamps were real popular again in the mid to late 90s.