• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Reminder: last day for AICP eligibility application

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Anyone doing this now?

Its a pain trying to figure how long to blabber on in answering these questions. I have no clue whether they will consider me "eligible."

Can anyone spare $60? ;)

SGB

Cyburbian
But.....but...... this means I have to rejoin APA!

Nooooooooooooooo!

;)

Looks like I will rejoin the wonderful organization, so I might have a shot at those esteemed initials after my name.

Then, of course, I'll have to keep my dues current for the rest of my professional life to maintain certification. Can anyone else say "membership entrapment?'"

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I sent it in a month ago. Still have not heard a response. Dindn't spend much time answering the questions, just short paragraphs.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
AICP Criteria D: Involving a professional level of responsibility and resourcefulness

Answer: When researching planning concepts I often utilize the knowledge base known as the "Throbbing Brain" to comprehensively examine the functional areas of blah, blah, blah.

I've seen too many job ads say "AICP preferred" so I figured I should try it.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
AICP Criteria D: Involving a professional level of responsibility and resourcefulness

Answer: When researching planning concepts I often utilize the knowledge base known as the "Throbbing Brain" to comprehensively examine the functional areas of blah, blah, blah.
Thanks I was having a hard time trying to answer that one.
Actually I submitted my application a while ago and I too have not heard back from them. Don't forget to get letters from your employer and school. I almost forgot and barely squeeked in before the 3 week deadline.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Let me see... So I am supposed to fill out the form, pay $60, contact my employer and past employers to have then verify my employment to APA, then contact my alma mater to have them confirm my degree to APA, and then APA does what? For $60 they can't even get on the phone and make a call to somebody to confirm that I work there? I really would like an explanation - what does this $60 they have extorted from me pay for?

banana slug

aicp exam criteria

anyone willing to offer some suggestions/samples (serious ones of course) for the four criteria? i've only worked in the private sector so i'm having a bit of trouble coming up with responses that make sense for my work experience. thanks!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I finished all of mine up… and then it came to the payment part. Credit Card? WTF… My city does not have a Credit Card (they will pay for me to take it), and I do not have the $425 in my account (and it is not an emergency) so looks like I am saving up to take it in November. (wish I would have know that this was the only way to pay for it) :-{

DCBuff

Cyburbian
I still need to get the employer verifications in. How detailed are yours?

I sent my application a few days ago, but had a lot of trouble with getting one of my credit cards to go through for the $450 fee. That is like half my paycheck.

I still need to get the employer verifications in. How detailed are yours?
I wrote the letter and had my supervisor sign it. It was rather brief and to the point:

This letter serves as verification that _____ is currently employed with ____ as a Planner since date. ___is responsible for the following tasks: _____. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me via phone or email.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Here is my example for D from 1998:

Criteria D: Involving a professional level of responsibility and resourcefulness.

I initiated changes in how the Location Improvement Permit log is printed out. Previously the report was limited to just dates and sequential permit numbers. The changes made now allow the staff to select and sort by the various permit attributes creating custom reports. This new report gives us an improved capability to track the location of and types of development. With this ability I have been able to more accurately establish trends and base figures to calculate housing and population projections.

I was one of the principle researchers and writers for the Comprehensive Plan and ___ Corridor Growth Management Report. I was also responsible for creating various graphics used in both of these planning documents.

I eagerly learned many aspects of the Census geography and data available for the City of ___ and ____ County. Many people in the community have appreciated and depend on my expertise.

I have been an active participant on Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) under SARA Title III. My contributions have included analyzing the number of people at risk surrounding over ___ Extremely Hazardous Facilities (EHF). The Fire Department, Emergency Management, and The American Red Cross would depend on my accuracy.
PM me if want to see more.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I finished all of mine up… and then it came to the payment part. Credit Card? WTF… My city does not have a Credit Card (they will pay for me to take it), and I do not have the $425 in my account (and it is not an emergency) so looks like I am saving up to take it in November. (wish I would have know that this was the only way to pay for it) :-{

Stupid question, there will be additional time to sign up prior to the November date? I have drafted the letters to my previous employers but have not gotten responses yet.

cch

Cyburbian
Stupid question, there will be additional time to sign up prior to the November date? I have drafted the letters to my previous employers but have not gotten responses yet.
People applying now are applying to take it in May. After this deadline you'd be applying to take it in November. Or, even if you get approved for May you can put off taking the test until November if you wanted to, for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure once you're approved you can put off taking it for a couple years, without having to re-apply.