• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Renaming my boat

Name my Boat

• Hula Monkey

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Planet Claire

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Under the Table

• Segelhund <sailing dog>

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Hula Girl, Neptune will strike you dead you change the name

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Shiraz

• other, see below

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters

tsc

Cyburbian
Well,, she came with the name "Hula Girl" which is cute... but the lettering was in an awful yellow and green. And...the cat calls were a bit much by drunken motor boaters. We are pretty sure about the name... but thought it might be fun to poll cyburbia...

mind you... the name must be used over VHF for communication...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Planet Claire implies a certain hipness on several levels. Salty old sea dogs aren't likely to get the B-52's reference, but might think pleasantly of 'Claire' as a beautiful woman. Gets my vote at any rate.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Because I like the wine, and it has a nice ring to it I vote Shiraz.

I can just here it now over the radio "There are gale force winds and 5 foot seas, but with Shiraz, you''' be safe."

SGB

Cyburbian
I've got to agree with Maister on this one.

Or, you couldn't go wrong with an obscure Monty Python reference either. :-D

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I suppose RMS Titanic is out of the question? :-D I like Shiraz.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
SGB said:
I've got to agree with Maister of this one.

Or, you couldn't go wrong with an obscure Monty Python reference either. :-D

yeah, you could call it Burma ;-)

I picked Segelhund. It sounds good (as long as it is pronounced correctly), and I have always had an affection for German.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I voted for "Planet Claire", but how about "Finger Laking Good"? (that's where you sail, right?)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Isn't it bad luck to change the name? Oh hell what do I know I live in Iowa.

tsc

Cyburbian
Finger Laking Good... LOL!!

This summer we actually will be on Cayuga Lake... but home port is the lower Hudson River. We need to name the dink too... Had also considered... Kenoten...who was a native american chief of a tribe from our area...his name means "Wild Wind" Just thought Kenoten was hard to ramble off 3 times....

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I voted Hula Monkey for no particular reason. What kind of boat is it? And what's the legacy behind it? Yarrrrrrrrrrrr.

I have a boat. It also has a hole in it. Almost capsized in lake erie and lake ontario on a couple occasions, but thats what you get with a 12 ft aluminum boat.

Some day when I get a real boat, with a steering wheel, I shall name it S.S. Tunanator. Now if only there was a pirate smiley. :c:

H

Cyburbian
My favorite boat name of all time is "The Debt Finder".

Our family boat growing up was named "Looking Good", el padre has since bought a new boat and calls it "Looking 2 Good". :-D

PS. The original Looking Good lies on the bottom of a north GA lake....sad sad sad..so many good times on that boat.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Planet Claire is pretty good, but I voted for Segelhund. It just has a nice sound and reference to it. Although, Finger Laking Good is just about the best name for a boat I've ever come accross.

[ot]H: should I even ask how the boat ended up at the bottom of the lake :-b [/ot]

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It is bad luck to rename a boat or a ship,
many that had been renamed have meet disaster - like burning, sinking , etc...
or is it just a myth ?

Gedunker might back me up on this.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
JNA said:
or it just a myth ?

It's my understanding that you can rename, especially when a boat changes ownership, but there are some arcane customs that you need to follow (if you're superstituous).

tsc

Cyburbian

The boat is a MacGregor 26X I don't have a good picture of her...this was on Lake Ontario last summer... but there are many sister ships at...you can kinda see my Dad's boat on the horizon...he sails a Hunter Legend 35.5 www.macgregor26x.com

Yes there is quite a ritual one must go through to change the name...otherwise we might be lost at sea ....

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
JNA said:
or is it just a myth ?

I have heard this as well, and like Tranplanner believe there is a certain protocol for renaming.

One of my dad's ships in WWII was first named Fortaleza Bay then corrected to Fortazela Bay then redesignated yet again as Tulagi. Dad said he and the crew were always uneasy about the history of name changes -- but Tulagi served in both the Atlantic and Pacific --with dad aboard --essentially unscathed.

H

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
[ot]H: should I even ask how the boat ended up at the bottom of the lake :-b [/ot]
Probably not :-D....but I will say it twas not I who dun it.

"Claire is a fat girl's name." - John from "The Breakfast Club"

Personally, I like "Hula Girl" but if you have to rename it, then "Planet Claire" or TP's suggestion - "Finger Laking Good" are cool. :)

tsc

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
"Claire is a fat girl's name." - John from "The Breakfast Club"

all the better!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

tsc

Cyburbian
Planet Claire Lyrics

Ahhhahhhahhahh

She came from
I knew she came from there
She drove a Plymouth Satellite
Faster than the speed of light

Planet Claire has pink air
All the trees are red
No one ever dies there
No one has a head

Ahhhahhhahhahh

Some say she's from Mars
Or one of the seven stars
That shine after 3:30 in the morning
WELL SHE ISN'T

She came from
She came from
She came from

Ahhhahhhahhahhahhahh

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Consider taking some inspiration from Tony Soprano, and name your boat The Stugots.

Seriously, I like Planet Claire, for the same reasons Maister stated.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
TSC
Instead of an laefest, (boating and drinking do not mix)
ever have a need for a working crew and not ballast ?

otterpop

Cyburbian
A friend of mine told me that boat is actually an acronym -- B.O.A.T. (break out another $1,000)

The One

Cyburbian
SS Minow

SS Dry Rot
SS Bilge
SS Hand Pump
SS Flare
SS Uba Stank
SS Reckless
SS TIme to Swim
SS Sink
SS Sunk
SS Sank
SS SOS
SS USUCK (This is the SS USuck Over?)
SS Piracy
SS Stolen Yacht
SS Inheritance
SS ........and on and on and on...... :)

tsc

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
A friend of mine told me that boat is actually an acronym -- B.O.A.T. (break out another $1,000)
yeah,, and the marina store is the <hundred> dollar store.

JNA said:
TSC
Instead of an laefest, (boating and drinking do not mix)
ever have a need for a working crew and not ballast ?
but anchoring and drinking mix!!.... the boat only holds a small gathering of souls... and that number is severely diminished when my 80 pound hound is on board! :-D .

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[ot]
Budgie said:
Why don't people name their golf carts?
They do in Winter Garden. However, it's usually just a number.

"Boo hoo! Day-ul's stui-ll day-ud! Wahhhhhhhhhhh!"[/ot]

The One said:
SS Dry Rot
SS Bilge
SS Hand Pump
SS Flare
SS Uba Stank
The Love Boat
Watership Down
SS JoO ArE TeH PWNED!!!!1!!!! SuXorZ
Das Boot
F. Scott Fitzgerald
SS Lynndie England
HMS Sid Vicious

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Here is a short list of fun names for your boat!

Intransigent
Improbable
Incomprehensible
Insufferable
Insidious
Imbroglio
Inconsequential
Incapable
Inconstant

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I always liked the British method for naming warships. Several battlecruiser names I particularly like are Invincible Indomitable Inflexible Indefatigable. So much better the USS Jimmy Carter ;-)

Rem

Cyburbian
I wouldn't be changing the name - if it doesn't sit well - sell the boat.

I have a small (5 metre/16 foot) aluminium runabout that I haven't bothered naming but I've always fancied calling it "Inspections" so that when a Councillor rings, my secretary can say "sorry he's out on Inspections". "Site Visits" would also work.

tsc

Cyburbian
Rem said:
I wouldn't be changing the name - if it doesn't sit well - sell the boat.

I have a small (5 metre/16 foot) aluminium runabout that I haven't bothered naming but I've always fancied calling it "Inspections" so that when a Councillor rings, my secretary can say "sorry he's out on Inspections". "Site Visits" would also work.

I like that...but I no longer work at the local level...and don't do any inspections.. and few site visits.... :eek:|

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Rem said:
I I've always fancied calling it "Inspections" so that when a Councillor rings, my secretary can say "sorry he's out on Inspections". "Site Visits" would also work.
LOL. A local road/highway contractor in these parts has a VERY BIG BOAT that is christened Change Order :-D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Thought I'd sail this thread back into the mainstream.....

This Bear has had a few boats, including a cabin cruiser, a few fishing boats, a canoe, a small sailboat, and the bass-fishing boat sitting in my yard waiting for me to wet a line.

My first boat, $25 from a Toledo dealer, was the wet dream of this Point Place (the neighborhood on Lake Erie) kid. I sanded it, puttied it, scraped it, painted it. Put my dad's 10-horse Johnson (hmmmmm....) on the back and motored out to Turtle Island, in the middle of Maumee Bay. Did it again the next day, and on the way back it filled with water. It sank in the marina I launched it. As I saved the motor, handing it to a friend, my foot went through the floor. Dryrot. And that's what I should have named her.

My second boat, year's later, was another wooden boat....but this one had been taken care of. Did not name her. Kept her for a couple good seasons of Lake Erie walleye fishing.

Boat # 3 was my first new boat, a 17-foot Sea Nymph. My friends "adjusted" the brand name on both sides to "Sea Nympho". I formally called the boat BEAR MINIMUM. Kept it quite a few years.

Next boat was a 22-foot Starcraft cruiser. It was christened WUSSY. (Long story, not for this thread, today.) Had that boat quite a few years. Lots of fishing trips and lots of trips to Put-In-Bay. (Put-In-Bay=Medicinal purposes only.)

Next came my only cabin cruiser, PIG III. It was a 28-foot Marinette, with a single screw 327 v-8. (Same boat used by the Toledo Police's Harbor Patrol.) It was docked next to the Turtle Club (floating bar in Toledo) and provided a great place to crash when the beers flowed a little too freely. Sold it after a few years to some friends.

At the same time as the last three, I also owned a small sailboat, SLUGGO'S REVENGE. I used to take it up north, sailing the length and breathd of Upper Michigan's small lakes. Sad that I no longer own it.

The bass boat I have now has no name.

Bear In Das Boat