• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Rent or Own?

Do you rent or own your home?

• Rent

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Own

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Live with Mommy and Daddy/others rent free!

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Hey now!! I'd probably be going through your beer collection too :) Course, I'd bring some good MI stuff to share - Strohs', Goebels.etc.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
SW MI Planner said:
Hey now!! I'd probably be going through your beer collection too :) Course, I'd bring some good MI stuff to share - Strohs', Goebels.etc.

I'll be stocking up when I win the Cyburbia FF Title...

Yeungling from Mike
Dixie from Planderella
Moose Drool from Someone
Some wierd corn beer from the Iowegians...

You get the picture.

donk

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner, don't foget the Slitz Red Bull.

Tranplanner can bring the OV, I'll bring the Schooner.

This way we know there will be beer left for the 4 am craving

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Rent and Own

Mastiff said:

Try TWO mortgages and rent!

House I bought in MO: $463
House my wench just HAD to have to renovate in MO: $386
Rent here in OR: $500

Having one on lease purchase, the other sold, and no longer renting: Priceless

Mastiff, no pity for you. That combined was cheaper than my last mortgage.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Own.

Bought just before prices went up (what do you expect from someone with such a confident avatar). Streetcar suburb type neighborhood 10 minute drive from the city. The City would be ideal but I won't be able to afford private school for 2 kids. Renting was a lot cheaper but I didn't like the gangs of hoodlums fighting across the street.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Re: Re: Rent and Own

bturk said:

Mastiff, no pity for you. That combined was cheaper than my last mortgage.

But you don't get by on the pitance I get paid here... There is a price for living in paradise.

pandersen

Cyburbian
Rent or Own

Me,
Right now I rent and I'm fed up.

I put an offer on a house back in November that was accepted, but at the last moment, someone who made an earlier offer (with conditions) removed their conditions and closed their deal 1 hour before I would have become owner.

Too bad too, the house in question was in a great location, had a great backyard and had not one, but two 2 car garages. One of these would have been perfect for a shop - I'm a "cabinet making fool" who also has a penchant for remodelling. The other garage could have been used to house my auto colection (1984 BMW 318i and 2000 Ford Explorer V8 AWD).

Before you all start dumping on me for owning two vehicles, the BMW is a summer only driver - great on gas and cheap to run. The gas guzzling Explorer is used only in the winter to navigate the roads up here in Manitoba in the winter (we just had our first snowstorm - over 16 inches of snow!

As for the house, it (yes, I'm having a tough time finding something similar to consider purchasing) was 1700 sq/ft, 3 bedrooms, a large great room with french doors onto a rear deck plus the house had a ful basement. Lot of potential

Sounds great n'est pas! On the other hand, the house needed new windows, roof, furnace, kitchen remodelling and plumbing work not to mention decorating etc. Oh well, I wasn't frightened off as I'm a confirmed "do it yourselfer". I guess I have to call myself that now that I've officially retired from my former life as a self employed commercial/redidential renovation contractor.

It's going to be hard to find another "jewel in the rough" in this town when the population is only 45,000 people. Of well, I hope to enter the housing market in the spring after the thaw!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Dont feel bad about the 2 car thing
Scott has 2 his little accord is for driving in the City etc. the roads are scary, yuo get bumped ding'd scratched and stolen

now he has a nice BMW for trips out of the City, Annapolis, Richmond, Philly etc. its great on gass, comfortable and quiet-the honda is beat up and not so comfortable for longer trips.

so i can relate to your having more than one car

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
We bought our first house a year ago this week. It's in a fabulous neighborhood across from a large park, library, rec center, bus stop.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm currently renting, although I'd rather own here. It's cheaper to own than to rent... unfortunately, I can't get a home loan until I'm a landed immigrant... which won't be for another two years or so.

Own. 15 year mortgage (14 years to go) at 6%. 1969 Raised Ranch, 3/2, 2 car garage, 4 miles from work (7 minute drive).

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'm renting a condo right now. I'd love to own, but house prices are high in Toronto. I could carry a mortgage - but I don't have enough of a downpayment yet. I think I'll wait until my wife finishes school and gets a job before buying.

On a related note, last week my corker of a little sister (she's 22) called me to ask: "Hey, can we (her and her boyfriend) afford to buy a house? I hear that you can sometimes buy a small house and the mortgage and taxes are cheaper than rent!"

My response:
a) do you have any money for a down payment?
b) do you really think anyone is going to give you a mortgage, considering that:
c) you almost filed bankruptcy at age 21and even though you've been flying straight, financially, for a whole year now,
d) you work in the college bookstore and are going full time to grad school next year and
e) i really don't think a mortgage lender is going to view your student loan check as "income".
:)

I told her to spend the next two years paying her bills on time and maybe putting a little money away so that if they decide to buy a house, they'll at least have closing costs, and maybe they can get an FHA loan.

I also told her, that while I consider myself pretty liberal, it would make me SUPER happy if she and her boyfriend would get married first. (they're planning to anyway)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Barring any emergencies, my old house in Ocoee, Florida will be officially sold today; it's closing time! It was on the market for just a few days before an offer came in, and about a week before it was under contract.

I won't be buying in KC until the end of the year. My goal is to keep the commute to about 30 minutes, and live in an area that's not considered "geographically undesirable." I've narrowed it down to the Westpost/Hyde Park area in KCMO, between Country Club Plaza and Crown Center; and in the Prairie Village/Fairway area on the Kansas side. Folks here commute from all over the area; the majority are in JoCo or south KCMO, but there's a few who live in the Northland (the portion of the KC metro area that's north of the Missouri River) and Eastland (KCMO's eastern 'burbs, including Independence and Blue Springs). The area has a freeway system that cities several times its size would drool over -- just about everything in the 1960s era highway plan was built -- so even long commutes are no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.