• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • On Thursday night (2/21), I did something I probably shouldn't have with the server. I lost about 90 posts and three new users in the process. If you registered on Thursday, please re-register. If you posted on Thursday, maybe post twice as much on Friday? Again, I apologize. :(

Replacement Density Requirement for Commercial Corridors

Hello: We are exploring replacement requirements for commercial/mixed-use buildings located in designated pedestrian overlay/commercial districts. (We are focusing on one district initially - a former street car corridor with predominately 2, 2+ story structures but also some existing auto-related uses and one-story office/retail structures scattered throughout.)

As property values rise, we wish to gaurde against the demolition of existing 2 and 2+ buildings and replacement with one-story buildings. Longer term, we would also like to see greater density along the corridor - eg: redevelopment of one story with two story buildings. The Ped Overlay district governs window frontage, street frontages, building facades, etc... but does not currently address density.

Policy makers/staff are concerned that requiring two story minimums (where they exist currently or not and/or at key intersections of ped overlay districts) could serve as a disincentive to development activity. Do we require 2 story minimums for the entire area, or do we look at an average density within the area to be redeveloped?

Lastly, should we allow a variance opportunity? Eg: developers would need to demonstrate hardship (not solely economic factors) to propose a one-story building?

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Incentive to Restore?

Catherine: I don't have any direct experience to share, but I do have a question. Is there now any incentive to people to restore and use the old 2 story buildings? It seems like a carrot is going to be needed to accompany this particular "stick." A program of design assistance and rehab grants, plus maybe some relief on codes that make restoration more difficult should be explored, if they do not exist.