• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Report of Genocide in DRPK (but is it "sexed up?")

What sould the West do about mass murder in North Korea?

• Like who cares? It is so not our business.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fake concern in the press, and keep our noses out of their business.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Sick the State Department on them.

• Take a cautions approach, and then verbally condem the US in the United Nations.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Take a cautions approach and hold a candlelight vigil.

• Make noise, make speeches, protest and repeat until those bullys get the message.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Ask South Korea how to handle it and back their play, unless that play is appeasment.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Take a hardline approach and use diplomacy and the threat of war to effect change.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Stop it by any means necessary, including unilateral war.

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

el Guapo

Capitalist
http://www.guardian.co.uk/korea/article/0,2763,1136483,00.html
It's a British source, and we all know how they like to play fast an loose with the truth. Kind of like GWB - can't be trusted.

If this report is true, this is the moral equal of the Nazi death camps. Do we stand aside as we have done in Germany, Japan, Cambodia, Russia, Bosnia and Rwanda to name but a few places where we let mass extermination take place?

You bet we will. Why? Because there are very few people who live in the West that are willing to risk those fat and happy lifestyles to actually risk a nuclear counterstike for interviening. So, my question to you is, now that you have a idea tha there is a stong possiblity that there is a mass genocide program going on (Doesn't matter that it appears to you and me to be Korean killing Korean) what should the West do?

Sorry for trolling, but this is a question of simple good vs. evil. I'm curious how the throbbing brain will answer.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
If said report is true, then there should be strong pressures against said regime.
Such human rights violations should not be tolerated and fearing of a minor bully just because he has WMD (and it's a confirmed fact that he does have nukes) is ridiculous. Of course war should be only the last option possible, after first having a strong diplomatic attack.
JMHO.

Rem

Cyburbian
I voted Take a hardline ...etc because diplomacy is needed to determine whether the claims are true, first. The poll question suggests using the threat of war only, but similar to Iraq, it's no point threatening if you're not prepared follow through.

Unfortunately eG this is the nightmare scenario for Australia we talked about previously. We suspect the NK's have delivery systems capable of reaching Australia (evidenced by missiles on N Korean freighters intercepted in Australian waters on their way to Africa) and some capability to produce nuclear weapons. Australia is examining the US missile defence system for this very reason. The downsides are the cost and the potential to destabilise relationships with other Asian neighbours but we are a sitting duck otherwise. While Australia is a big country, our population is relatively concentrated and therefore vulnerable to missiles with little risk to the attacker (except in US retaliation).

Australia cannot afford another war on the Korean Peninsula but as a Nation, we couldn't stand back and allow genocide (if it's truly happening).

The Irish One

Let me waffle a bit

Do we stand aside as we have done in Germany, Japan, Cambodia, Russia, Bosnia and Rwanda to name but a few places where we let mass extermination take place?
Yes, we do and we will. It's all about numbers. How many people are killed in camp 22? Will it compare to how many are killed in South Korea. The moment we launch an airstrike on Pyongyang and the DMZ every rocket North Korea owns will be in Seoul within 15 minutes. An estimated one million people will die in less than an hour within the city of Seoul. And then there is the other rocket, you know, the nuke! So our good friend Rem in Sydney could possibly be toasted and don't forget Tokyo or any city in China and if they're really good, a west coast city of the USA. At the most NK is a three trick pony.

It's clear to me that a nuclear exchange is coming sooner or later and maybe this is as good a time as ever to get it over with.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I voted "hardline", but I wish other methods were more effective/popular with the general public/safer etc.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I say we nuke them, but only after Kim Jong il's birthday ;).

-On a serious note, something has to be done soon, but which way it should be done I'm not sure of...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
It was tough choosing between backing South Korea and taking the hardline w/threat of war.

But I voted back S. Korea.

They are the ones that would surely be most affected by any action taken against N. Korea. We should help S. Korea do some serious surrveilance of the Camps, and get this claim of mass murder/genocide substantiated beyond any reasonable doubt, and then cut all diplomatic and financial aid ties to N. Korea.

Although this is definitely a hardline, I think the N. Korean people need to decide for themselves when this regime should end and take their freedom into their own hands.

We should not spread ourselves ever thinner to fight for the safety and freedom of other people. We should only go to war if N. Korea extends itself beyond its own borders.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I'm very disturbed about this alleged human torture. If this occurrence is true, I'm for a hardline approach which utilizes diplomacy first but if that doesn't work, then measures should be taken by the West to bust that regime's ass. Despite my feelings about human torture, maybe Kim Jong-il should be given a taste of his own medicine!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
While I would certainly like the nations of the world to be nice and not condone, much less conduct crimes against humanity, I have to be realistic. Where do we draw the line? Over the 220-some years we have been in existence, our nation has often sat idly watching as other nations abused their own, or other peoples. [liberalwhiteguilt] That does not even begin to address the times when we have been guilty of those acts ourselves. [/liberalwhiteguilt] Are we now going to change our policies and place human rights at the top of our list of priorities? How does that change our relations with Libya, Saudi Arabia, China, Canada, Pakistan, Sudan, Russia, or half of the other nations on earth?

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
They are the ones that would surely be most affected by any action taken against N. Korea. We should help S. Korea do some serious surrveilance of the Camps, and get this claim of mass murder/genocide substantiated beyond any reasonable doubt, and then cut all diplomatic and financial aid ties to N. Korea.
I too voted for backing Seoul for similar reasons. They are obviously most affected by any action taken. There is a fine line to walk between appeasement and war, I hope it can be walked.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Are we now going to change our policies and place human rights at the top of our list of priorities? How does that change our relations with Libya, Saudi Arabia, China, Canada, Pakistan, Sudan, Russia, or half of the other nations on earth?
It's about time someone mentioned Canada's dismal human rights record. :-D

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

Seriously, with Seoul so close to the DMZ, the folks in the camps will suffer as long as there is a Kim of some sort in Pyongyang.

Rem

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
....this claim of mass murder/genocide substantiated beyond any reasonable doubt, and then cut all diplomatic and financial aid ties to N. Korea.....
If only such sanctions could work mendelman. Remember how well the ruling classes continued to live in NK while the population starved under the previous sanctions coupled with rice crop failures. NK pride even obviated aid from the PRC. It's beyond my comprehension how a 'leader' could let such suffering happen.

donk

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
It's about time someone mentioned Canada's dismal human rights record. :-D
Which includes, Native Schools, Mt Cashell (sp?) Orphanage, Chinese immigration bans(20's-40's), banning certain religions from public swimming pools(30's-60's), expulsion of the Acadians (1700's)......

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Rem said:
If only such sanctions could work mendelman. Remember how well the ruling classes continued to live in NK while the population starved under the previous sanctions coupled with rice crop failures. NK pride even obviated aid from the PRC. It's beyond my comprehension how a 'leader' could let such suffering happen.
the last part of the sentence you quoted was meant to say that the sanctions should create some fires in the general population in order to possibly start a revolution against the regime, and get rid of it.

Not that I am well versed in the politics of N. Korea, or political history/theory, but I really think it is not the USA's responsibility to be recusing other peoples from themselves. Either we follow a lead set out by South Korea and help them, or we threaten N. Korea and be willing to invade.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
donk said:
Which includes, Native Schools, Mt Cashell (sp?) Orphanage, Chinese immigration bans(20's-40's), banning certain religions from public swimming pools(30's-60's), expulsion of the Acadians (1700's)......
Well, Donk, you have a point. My post was meant as jest...I don't think of Canada as a wholesale denier of human rights any more than the US...but the fact is that there aren't any countries that are perfect in this regard. Here, we have our heritage of slavery, of Japanese internment camps, of Jim Crow. We have institutionalized racism and informal means of exclusion. Thankfully, though, we both live in countries where we don't fear the work camps and can participate in our governmental processes. The North Koreans (and the Cubans, and the Vietnamese, and the Sudanese, and the Chinese, and far too many others) don't have that luxury.

At least you can blame the Acadian expulsion on the British.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
...Thankfully, though, we both live in countries where we don't fear the work camps and can participate in our governmental processes....
I have just two words for you... Patriot Act.

Got freedom?

donk

Cyburbian
I forgot one more super offensive treatment of minorities (mostly us Anglos): Bill 101 in Quebec.