• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Enforcement 👮 Residential construction inspection

Streck

Cyburbian
How does your community handle residential construction inspection? Are you satisfied with the results? Has anyone been watching "Holms on Homes" TV program series about how lax residential construction is checked, inspected or enforced? How are you checking your checkers? How are your code checkers checked? Is this a proper topic for Cyburbia?

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
Are you talking about building-related inspections (like the stuff a code enforcement officer at a building department would handle), or site-related inspections for items that are tied to an approved site plan?

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
How does your community handle residential construction inspection? Are you satisfied with the results? Has anyone been watching "Holms on Homes" TV program series about how lax residential construction is checked, inspected or enforced? How are you checking your checkers? How are your code checkers checked? Is this a proper topic for Cyburbia?
Contracted building inspector that reviews against the building code (state wide code). It really is up to our contractor to supply the inspectors. the code is "C" average at best. Most of the homes on "Homles on Homes" are probably remodels gone extremely bad, as in, no inspections, or flips done without permits. On reddit there was a call out for people in southern California that had home repairs go bad. I have heard enough horror stories to know, people just don't do their own homework and get stuck in some really dumb situations.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
We have our own building official and inspectors. We are an extremely busy city and the amount of training required for inspectors is immense. And tests must be passed which is not easy. Here's the thing about inspectors though. They are inspecting TO THE CODE. So something can look shitty as all get out but as long as it meets the code they really don't have a choice about passing it or not. As long as they're catching life-safety type code issues I'm happy. We are a big retirement destination and it amazes me the amount of people who live in some other state and build their home from afar. No way Jose. When I'm building my house I can tell you I'll be out there a few times a week. You don't check yourself and contractors aren't going to insulate interior walls like you asked for and all kinds of stuff like that that doesn't matter to the code officials. You can't do quality control from 700 miles away.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
At the moment, we contract with the County and they have licensed building inspectors. Having said that, I have concerns that an inspector who is not with them anymore did not enforce the building quote equally. He always required at least the minimum, but in some situations went way beyond to make it harder on others.

When I was having my house built, I was out there a few times a week to check it out. Almost every time I went out there I found an issue and would contact the GC. It was a pain.