• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Economic development đź’° Resources for finding a certain commercial business' market and target demographic?

Doberman

Cyburbian
It seems like you could, more or less, back into the site selection process as an EDO. If you have a vacant site, you can determine the market to the site, traffic counts, etc., using GIS, not just for your city, but the region. Is there a resource out there that would give you the target market information for a certain business? For instance, what is Publix's target population, age cohort, income, etc.

Planit

Cyburbian
I've looked for intel like that, but have come up empty handed in most everything. Those companies guard this pretty closely and don't want to get recruited by the city - they know where they want to be (as told to me by an insider). We have hired a retail recruitment company that does the demographic, service area, market, retail gaps study for us and then with their contacts in the industry start a dialogue.

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
I, too have researched such things with limited success in order to game out what uses are likely to develop on a given site from a market perspective, rather than from strictly a zoning and land use perspective. Like Planit, I've found that this data is largely locked down. From a broad lens, ESRI's Psychographics research can help a bit, as can data from paid resources like CoStar. ULI's market report data may also have some of this from a high-level perspective, but knowing stuff like, say, Amazon's site selection criteria for warehouses, or Trader Joe's site selection data for new stores, is nearly impossible to come by - although I have heard, anecdotally, that the latter will only site select in zip codes with a minimum % of college degree holders.