• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Serious 😐 Respect for a talent you can’t do

michaelskis

Cyburbian
There are people who when they sing, the sound is so clean and pure, that it boggles the mind. There are people who can sit down at the ivory keys and play something that speaks without saying a word. I have unbelievable respect for these people because I know that I have zero chance of coming close to what they do. I can’t sing to save my life, and after 4 years taking piano, I realized I should stick to the drums.

I think we all know of talents that we really admire, but we can’t do. What talents do you find amazing but fall short of being able to accomplish?

kms

Cyburbian
Anything musical and the skill to design a system of highway lanes, bridges, ramps and overpasses that don't wind up in a knot.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I love music and like to sing. I can carry a tune (usually)but I wish I was much, much better. But drawing. Now there's something that amazes me. I have trouble with stick figures! Someone who can take a blank page and turn it into something beautiful is a skill that I can't even comprehend.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Agreed with musical ability.

I had a boss who was an absolute tool but we were in a hotel lobby one morning waiting for a conference to start and he set down his coffee and walked over to a piano that was sitting off in the corner and started playing some classical piece. He was still a tool, but I respected him a bit more in that instance.

The older son of a family we know is another one who really impresses me. The family is very musical in general but the son is the standout (the dad plays a bunch of instruments and owns a guitar shop in our downtown and the daughter plays drums and guitar and banjo and she's only 10 so she'll probably just keep on improving). He writes and plays drums and jazz is his passion but he and his dad (who loves rock) direct and play in the band of some massive megachurch (even though the family is Jewish), he went to college on a full music scholarship, spent his summers on the touring company of Green Day's American Idiot, and then got full ride offers for a bunch of graduate music programs all over the country - he ended up picking USC because he eventually wants to write scores for film and TV. I love listening to his parents go on and on about him because he's so impressive.

Drawing and painting is another set of skills that really impress me, graphic arts too. We have a woman who works with us as a graphic artist for our marketing materials and how quickly she can put out some really cool stuff always wows me. Her younger sister worked with us as a graphic artist for a summer for an internship-type position and she blew us away. Her real passions were sketching and animation and she would always have a notepad with her during meetings and would be sketching something. I'd look over her shoulder and what she could do in about 15 minutes was so impressive.

I always feel bad for our graphic artist because working for a local economic development office has to be pretty boring for her, but the pay is good and the job is secure so I guess there's that...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Small talk with strangers. It eludes me. I try but ultimately I fail. I wish I was much better at this seemingly simple skill that sets an essential stage for more in depth discourse. Once a discussion about "what do you think caused the Bronze Age collapse?" begins I'm quite at ease. But it's that first step that kills me and sometimes prevents all subsequent steps from happening.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Small talk with strangers. It eludes me. I try but ultimately I fail. I wish I was much better at this seemingly simple skill that sets an essential stage for more in depth discourse. Once a discussion about "what do you think caused the Bronze Age collapse?" begins I'm quite at ease. But it's that first step that kills me and sometimes prevents all subsequent steps from happening.
Hey...we're wearing almost the same sport jacket. Where did you get yours? I got mine at Kohls on sale last week. Did you go to the same sale?

;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I respect the following, which I cannot do:

I organize my t-shirts into three-tier matrices based on: thread count, frequency of wear, and what I term as the message contextualization quotient (or MCQ for short). Weighted values may then be assigned using the following formulae and applied to any given day to know with certainty which t-shirt is most appropriate:

2x + MCQ/Fw +3 (150-20x/2) = Y

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
People who can sing or play music or make any kind of art, people with mad OCD organization skills, people who say no and nothing bad happens to them

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Should have been poll -

play a musical instrument
singing
make any kind of art
athletic ability (except for sailing or snow skiing for me)
standardized tests
cooking & baking
specific home repairs
flower & tree identification
sewing