• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Retired Persons Social Hangout

Planit

Cyburbian
In our neck of the woods, the elderly retired (mostly men) have met for this kinda coffee club in the mornings. When I first got here yon 25 years ago, they met at a local dive downtown until it closed. Now for the last several years you'll find one group at Hardees (Carl Jrs. to many of you) and another group at Bojangles - both fast food joints.

Every morning you'll see the group start to arrive around 7:30 and be in full swing until at lesat 9:30, drinking free refill coffees and talking politics, AARP claims and body passages.

In fact there was one time when I had to find a certain Councilmember, I could find him there. This is their social hangout, much like ours might be a local pub.

Do you have such a group? Where does your town's retired persons coffe club meet?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
ROMEOs! (Retired Old Men Eating Out). In Buffalo, go to any Denny's, Perkins, Greek diner or McDonad's before 11:00 AM, and you'll see them in droves, along with their vinyl roofed Buicks in the parking lot. The crowds are thinner during the winter, when many take off to Florida.

Reactions: kms

btrage

Cyburbian
McDonald's is the hang out place for the elderly. At least in my travels throughout Michigan.

wahday

Cyburbian
Our offices are adjacent to our senior apartment complex, so in my neighborhood, they all hang out right downstairs! (there is a "clubhouse" on the first floor of my building with an exercise rom, computers, meeting space, lounge, etc.) Man do those seniors like to hang out - especially the ladies who meet monthly, each making a cake to celebrate whoever has a birthday that month (even if its no one). So then I have to pass through that space to get to my bike and they all ply me with sweets and chat me up. Sometimes I have to sneak out the other way just to get out of there in a timely fashion. They are sweet folks, though. But they have a lot more time on their hand than I do. Gab gab gab...

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
I just realized that I have no idea where the old folks hang out here. I will make it my mission to find out and report the results of my investigation here.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My entire zip code is an old folks hang out! :r:

But when they really want to congregate, there is a Starbucks around the corner that has more seating than most that I've seen and starts filling up with old folks around 6:00 a.m. everyday during the week and they stay until about 4:00 when the teenagers seem to take it over.

I once had to meet with an investigator from the OPM doing a background check on a friend and decided to meet him there. The first thing he said to me when he walked in was, "This is a really nice neighborhood but man are there a lot of old people here!" (and this guy had to be in his mid 50s).

A mile down the street there is a Jewish delicatessen and a restaurant in a small shopping center and both of those are always full of the elderly too. They also really seem to like going to the daytime showings at the art theatre in that center's parking lot.

When I drive to my parents house or anywhere on the east side, there is a Tim Horton's I like to stop at and it's always has about 5 or 6 old Albanian men reading the newspaper and playing cards. It doesn't matter what time of day it is.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
In this little backwater, there is the "Senior Center". Who the heck goes to those places? The minimum age is 55; like I would go there next year? My god. But you have to be 60 to get the free lunch.

Everywhere I've lived in FL, it's the fast food places that attract the old farts. I know I have mentioned this before, but.... maybe 20 yrs ago, I stopped at at McDonalds on the outskirts of Sarasota around 10 a.m. and every head in the place swiveled in my direction. Yep, every patron and every worker was over 75, and they clearly saw me as an alien lifeform or some other intruder. It was spooky.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
There is one of these places in every small town. It is usually the local cafe, but where there is no local, a fast food place will do. You will also find a place where the farmers hang out when you get into rural towns. I often track these down and eavesdrop on conversations to get background on the city, or I may join in on the conversation if they are a friendly bunch. It is better than most forms of formal public participation.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
In suburban Chicago, you will find them at pretty much any greasy spoon restaurant. I think the independent places tend to be preferred over the chain places like Denny's, IHOP, etc. Although I haven't paid attention to the phenomenon in great detail, so I could be wrong.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
In my part of Dallas, I see retirees gathering in 3 different settings:

1. Casual conversation at McDonalds.
2. Intellectual conversation at the Half Price Books flagship store.
3. Staying fit walking at Target in the a.m.

kjel

Super Moderator
Around here it's the local diner, McDonald's or Dunkin Donuts.

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian
I second Tim Hortons. I can't get into the one by my house. Its parking lot is full up of Mercury Marquis and Buicks.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier but I actually know where the Mecca of retire hangouts is.

In the city where my in-laws live, there is a coffee and donut place built right at the northern end of the St. Clair River just below Lake Huron's southern tip. There is all sorts of nautical memorabilia in there and one entire side is all glass so you can watch the freighters go into and out of the lake. They go so far as to post the times of passages days in advance so the "Boat Nerds" can be sure to be there to see particular boats that they are looking for. It's like bird watching for people with bad eyesight.

I've only been in there a few times but I could just feel my bones getting brittle and hair going grey as soon as I walked in.

SGB

Cyburbian
small rural ROMEOs

I love the ROMEOs acronym!

In my Town there are several such places:
  • McDonald's
  • Three locally owned breakfast eateries.
While not solely for retirees, our Elks lodge also has a 5 O'clock Coffee Club for members who start their days early,

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

"In my dad, kids had RESPECT! They'd call their elders sir or ma'm, and they didn't step on your lawn! That's all gone now. It's that damn roll and rocking music they listen to, or that repping, or whatever the hell they call that noise."

A planning-related twist: where did the ROMEOs gather in the day when cities and neighborhoods were still predominantly pedestrian-oriented?

In Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood, most businesses have benches or plastic chairs in front along the sidewalk, and they're often filled with the neighborhood's old-timers. The phenomenon, which I'll call Several Talkative Urban Goombahs On The Sidewalk, also used to be common when the West Side of Buffalo was still a predominantly Italian neighborhood. How can we design out places to better enable these informal regular gatherings of old friends?

In this little backwater, there is the "Senior Center". Who the heck goes to those places? The minimum age is 55; like I would go there next year? My god. But you have to be 60 to get the free lunch.
Last year, I had Census enumeration training at the town senior center. I learned that seniors really like the song You Are My Sunshine. Someone was always playing it on the piano. They sold little teddy bears that played the song. I even heard a small children's chorus sing it.

Gedunker

Moderating
The Liars Club, as it's called here, meets at a certain McDonald's in the morning. After evening meetings, the Repubs go to a local eatery and the Demos go to a local watering hole.

Fat Cat

Cyburbian
Fat Cat

One city where I worked it was at Mickey Ds next to City Hall. Where I am at now they meet at the restaraunt that a lot of out of work folk go to. a bunch us that are out of work, often meet there in the morning, get tips as to who is hiring, practice interviews and then take off to seek employment. The seniors always give us advice whether we want it or not. Some of us that have worked in the public sector have learned by listening to them not to mention that we have ever worked in the public sector. The senior opinion seems to be that we got all of these big pay outs, great pensions and health benefits. because they read about some of this in the Detroit News they think that we all have received the "perks". They are funny to listen to and some times they do have good advice and know where there are some part time temp jobs. It is kind of funny to know that that this is "us" in a few years regardless of what now say or think.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Last year, I had Census enumeration training at the town senior center. I learned that seniors really like the song You Are My Sunshine. Someone was always playing it on the piano. They sold little teddy bears that played the song. I even heard a small children's chorus sing it.
:victory: I guess that means when RJ and I are old, we'll be subjected so something like "YMCA" all day long at the old folks home. Maybe our parents' generation didn't think it would happen to them either, but I just can't see myself being amused by crafts, bingo, bridge, and chair aerobics. Or only hanging out with other old people, either.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Bump
There's a group of retired men locally, that are mall walkers (although 'mall gawkers' might also be a propos). Other popular hangouts include breakfast restaurants and donut shops. Honestly, other than churches or election workers, I don't know where you'd find groups of retired women hanging out.

DVD

Cyburbian
I can only think of the Dairy Queen in Sun City West (retirement community). It's a meat market. The old folks bring the grandkids and hit on each other. Kids in this scene act like dogs at a park. Great ice breakers.

kms

Cyburbian
Here, retired men hang out at the supermarket cafe, Panera and McDonald’s. I’ve seen well-dressed and financially comfortable old women playing cards at lunch in nice restaurants, but I don’t know where the others go. They’re probably at home and relieved that their husbands are somewhere other than underfoot.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
There's a group of retired men locally, that are mall walkers (although 'mall gawkers' might also be a propos). Other popular hangouts include breakfast restaurants and donut shops. Honestly, other than churches or election workers, I don't know where you'd find groups of retired women hanging out.

B-9. That's B-9. Next number is O-72. That's O-72. Next number is I-19. That's I-19.

Around here, a lot of older women in the granola crowd are into gardening. There's several large garden plot areas around here, and it seems like they're largely occupied by older women. There's also a lot of women-only classes, seminars, and the like that are popular with women of a certain age and outlook. Clubs and social groups at places of worship, at least at Catholic and mainline Protestant congregations, tend to be dominated by older women.

The in-laws live in a gated community (gasp!) with several thousand residents in Florida. (It's not age-restricted.) The community has many organized social and hobby groups. The clubhouse has HUGE card rooms for bridge, canasta, and the like -- one just for men, another for women, and another mixed.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Bump
My mother gets together with group of ladies at a church to knit scarfs, blankets, and hats for those that needed them. My daughter calls it knit club and came up with some fight club-esque rules...

The first rule of Knit Club is: You do not talk about Knit Club. The second rule of Knit Club is: You do not talk about Knit Club. Third rule of Knit Club: Someone yells "Yarn sale at Hobby Lobby!", goes limp, passes out or brings their old man, the Knit night is over. Fourth rule: Only one lady to a Knit. Fifth rule: One Knit at a time. Sixth rule: Knits will go on as long as they have to. And the seventh and final rule: If this is your first night at Knit Club, you have to Knit.

The beauty shop is the other hangout. She goes twice a month whether her hair needs it or not.

Reactions: Dan

Veloise

Cyburbian
On 12/31/18 the NYTimes published an article about a Meetup group called Finding Female Friends Past Fifty. A local buddy shared it to FB asking if anyone was interested. I replied, " me me me me me." She replied, if you set it up, I'll participate.

It's seven weeks old, we have more than 250 members, and last night a few of us did a cooking class.
FB_IMG_1553268762276.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored

I forgot all about the Red Hat Society. But It's hard to know where you might run into them. I don't know of any regular hangout they have. It's almost like a senior flash mob, and you might see a group of them at a restaurant, theater, library, or conference hall.

Veloise

Cyburbian
View attachment 6134

I forgot all about the Red Hat Society. But It's hard to know where you might run into them. I don't know of any regular hangout they have. It's almost like a senior flash mob, and you might see a group of them at a restaurant, theater, library, or conference hall.
BTDT
rh-07.jpg

RHS (for women over 50) has pretty well tanked. It was emergent in the early teens, and when the founder decided to send lawyer's letters to any manufacturer that infringed on "her" color scheme, she shot herself in the foot.

It was like a Meetup group in that someone would decide "let's go have a PJ breakfast at Old Country Buffet on this Saturday" and then we'd all show up. It was like training for the nursing home in that many participants were older (than 60 or 70) and somewhat disabled.

Someone from the chapter I was in is now in my FFF>F group, and there are lots of jokes about RHS.

Last edited:

el Guapo

Capitalist
In farm country, it has been my experience that the local Co-oP hosts the retired gentleman farmer group. The Co-oP always seems to have a Bunn 2 to 3 burner coffee maker. There is a coffee can for the coffee fund in most very small towns.

I've seen hundreds of dollars in the can. Informally, the Co-oP manager is empowered to take money from the can for resupplying coffee related items. And because Co-oP employees often make minimum wage, the manager is empowered to help a struggling employee with a 'family situation,' if he gets the approval of the coffee clubs elders. This help is often based upon the moral reputation of the worker and his family.

Another difference is the Co-oP coffee club starts by at least 6:00 AM. Only the greybacks get to leave a coffee mug near the coffee maker. Prospects use a styrofoam cup.

Besides the inefficiency of the government, the main topics of conversation are the appearance of every cultivated crop field in the county, stuff going on in the state capitol, why they haven't made a decent affordable truck in the last 20+ years, and Jussie Smollett's range as an actor.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm reminded of this starter pack.

And there's always going to be one of these. Always.