• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Retro-futurism

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1549980925147.png 1549981082069.png 1549981318918.png 1549981978513.png

It wasn't a great movie, but I loved the opening line of "Tomorrowland" where George Clooney says "the future isn't what it used to be."

What is it about retro-futurism that's so appealing? Frequently, the futurists of the past got the technology kind of right, but where they nearly always missed the mark was when it comes to the social aspects. So while they might somewhat accurately portend the future by showing folks wearing Dick Tracy tv watches, they also tended to depict the 'little woman' at home preparing instantly rehydrated dinners for their nuclear families.

What do you dig about retro-futurism? Can someone explain why the ideas of domed cities were so prevalent in the past? And where is my monorail?

Last edited:

DVD

Cyburbian
Screw your monorail, I want my flying car! Which goes to the point of domed cities. Flying cars would have such a huge environmental impact that the cities would have some kind of controlled atmosphere just to survive. I personally like how the technology increases, but clothing styles never change. My little lady at home is still wearing a dress and heels with an apron while she put the turkey in the food rehydrator.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was a criminally overlooked movie. It was a mix of steam/diesel punk and retrofutureism.