• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Return to CHEEKTOWGA! [w/images]

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Return to CHEEKTOWGA!

Carriage fetish. Only in Cheektowga.

1cheektowaga_487-med.jpg

Cheektowga embraces diversity! I think.

1cheektowaga_479-med.jpg

Windmills have always been popular in Buffalo's eastern suburbs.

1cheektowaga_465-med.jpg

Whipped.

1cheektowaga_461-med.jpg

A whipped MARINE. A sad sight.

1cheektowaga_489-med.jpg

Old school, baby!

1cheektowaga_476-med.jpg

Monogrammed houses - a Cheektowaga tradition.

1cheektowaga_451-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_447-med.jpg

A traditionalist.

1cheektowaga_445-med.jpg

Cheektowaga rapid transit

1cheektowaga_435-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_434-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_431-med.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You know you're in Cheektowga when ...

1cheektowaga_418-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_416-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_407-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_408-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_411-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_412-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_413-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_415-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_402-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_405-med.jpg

Finally, the in lawn ornament this year ... LIGHTHOUSES!

1cheektowaga_430-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_428-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_426-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_425-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_424-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_423-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_422-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_419-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_420-med.jpg

1cheektowaga_421-med.jpg

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Is there a lawn/yard ornament
that you are still looking for and have not found yet?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
You managed to capture my all-time favorite lawn ornament - the virgin mary in a half-buried upright bath tub. Classic. Bravo.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
Is that a lavender flag on the Marines' house?
Nope. That's the Marine Corps flag. Scary, isn't it.

Originally posted by JNA
Is there a lawn/yard ornament that you are still looking for and have not found yet?
I've heard stories about toilets reused as flower pots, but I haven't come across any yet. I've also heard about BVMs dressed up in little Buffalo Bills jerseys, but I've only seen decorated creches; not the BVM itself.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Buffalo is the one area even more catholic than Rhode Island.

What's with those old Black stereotype statues? Do people just think they're cute, or are they trying to prove some kind of politically incorrect point? - like "isn't it funny that this neighborhood is so white that I can get away with this?" Or are the homeowners Black themselves?

MennoJoshua

Cyburbian

I've heard stories about toilets reused as flower pots, but I haven't come across any yet. I've also heard about BVMs dressed up in little Buffalo Bills jerseys, but I've only seen decorated creches; not the BVM itself. [/B]

There is a commode-planter in Weems, OH near Rinker St. You can see it up the hill above the Weems Community Chapel sign from Jefferson County Highway 25.

There are also several planters made from old tractor (or truck, perhaps?) tyres. They have been placed in right of way that I believe belongs to the Wheeling and Lake Erie railroad, where a siding was to be placed. (What there was of the siding has been gone about 10 years.) The green space is now a public commons of sorts, kept nicely mown with some nice trees, swingsets for children like you find in suburban back yards, and, of course, planters.

boiker

Cyburbian
Dan, looking at those pics reminds me of my hometown, Streator, IL - A Polish and Slovak community with probably as many lighthouses, Virgin Mary statues, and painted butterflies and birds per capita as Cheektowga.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
So is there some kind of provision in the residential zoning ordinance that requires yard art? Do the HOA's come after people with unadorned yards? Do decorating contests at Christmas cause a blackout in the rest of the state? This is all unironic yard art, right? That is an impressive collection of yard art, and as someone with pink flamingos, I speak sincerely (mostly).