• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Revolutions spoiler~don't read if you haven't seen it.

martini

Cyburbian
You've been duely warned. I know there's another Matrix thread, but I wanted to start this one to be exclusive. Or the mod could be generous and merge the two with teh appropriate warnings fired.

WOOOOO!

Blows away the Reloaded. Let the discussion begin...

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Horrible

Sorry man, I saw it last night and I thought it was a stinker. I was laughing throughout the whole movie - it was so ridiculous and wacky.

The death of Trinity was the perfect allegory for how I feel about the whole Matrix trilogy.

Now I'm waiting for M4, M5, M6, M7, or whatever to come out. What do you think? Will they be movies or a new drama series on the WB? Perhaps the first episode will be about the skinny young kid rallying the troops to go find Neo's body so they can give him a proper burial. But WAIT!!! ***GASP*** They can't find Neo's body! Where is it?! And even though humans and machines are now living in peace, there are some antogonistic machines out there waiting to take revenge on the survivors of Zion. So while out searching for Neo's body, Niobe gets kidnapped. Stay tuned next week for the shocking must see episode: While Niobe is plugged back into the Matrix, she catches a glimpse of Neo at the barber shop... But!!! Was it really him?!! Who was that familiar face getting a bowl cut? Stay tuned for next week's pulses-pounding spine-tingling adeventure.

Remember V on NBC back in the early 80s? The Matrix TV show will be just as campy and lame as that lizard-poo of a show.

Reloaded and Revolutions were awful. I'm unplugging from the Matrix from here on out. Every beginning must have an end.

martini

Cyburbian
Yeah the death scene was waaaaaaaaaay too long. And the campy "the war is over!" kid was, well, campy. But to me, those were the only complaints I had.

And Neo won't come back. Didn't you see the 'angel' appearance as he was being towed away by the robot coroner? Took one step closer to the Jesus theme there.

They did leave it pretty open ended there, eh? I hope they don't try to make more sequels. It'll kill the franchise for sure. Reloaded got pretty close to killing it, but I think Revolutions brought it back up a bit. Leave it to die NOW. Everything must have an end as they so eloquently said.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
martini said:
And Neo won't come back. Didn't you see the 'angel' appearance as he was being towed away by the robot coroner? Took one step closer to the Jesus theme there.
Well, yeah, that was soooooooooo obvious. And Jesus did come back to life, right? Or so I've been told. I know, I know, Trinity already brought Neo back to life in M1, but we didn't have the crucifixion imagery back then to re-inforce the resurrection theme. Neo will be resurrected in the WB TV series next fall. You can bank on that one.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I have not watched any of the Matrix movies. I don't understand what may be so great about them. And Keanu Reeves in all of them....one actor who will never get an academy award.

Saw it this past weekend. I thought it was horrible. The script was all over the place and there were too many "borrowed" elements from other science fiction movies such as the Star Wars trilogy, the Alien trilogy, and Independence Day. Oh, and the Neo/Jesus analogies were a bit over the top for me.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Yeah, I didn't find it that good. Some nice effects, but the dialogue and plot(?) really seemed tacked on. It was almost like they had taken a bunch of deleted scenes from the earlier movies and tried to make a third film out of it.

I almost yelled out "Just die already!!!" during Trinity's long and drawn out death scene.

The best part, IMHO was the actor who played the soldier infected by Smith - got the mannerisms, etc. down beautifully.

jordanb

Cyburbian
martini: I completly agree. I'm glad they had the balls to kill off the love interest though.

I liked Reloaded because I had incredibly low expectations, but it didn't exceed them by much. This one, still not as good as the first, of course, was very well done, and tied up the trilogy perfectly.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Saw it this past weekend. I thought it was horrible. The script was all over the place...Oh, and the Neo/Jesus analogies were a bit over the top for me.
I agree. It seemed to be too "spiritual." I even dozed off a couple of times.

nerudite

Cyburbian
If we got beat over the head with the word "love" one more time I was going to lose it.

I thought the ending was good in general... like I"m glad to know what happened. But the movie dialogue, etc. was really, really bad. And all the cheesy cliches were over the top in this movie: the guys that go out dying screaming while the bullets fly, the pep talks, the drawn out death scenes.

It was probably my least favorite in the series. It doesn't stand on its own very well either, which makes a difference to me. I'm glad I saw it at matinee prices.

Tranplanner said:

The best part, IMHO was the actor who played the soldier infected by Smith - got the mannerisms, etc. down beautifully.
I thought it was the same guy. The only difference was a slightly different hairstyle, the goatee and the absence of the sunglasses.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
If we got beat over the head with the word "love" one more time I was going to lose it.

It was probably my least favorite in the series. It doesn't stand on its own very well either, which makes a difference to me. I'm glad I saw it at matinee prices.
Right on!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Planderella said:
I thought it was the same guy. The only difference was a slightly different hairstyle, the goatee and the absence of the sunglasses.
I didn't think it was, but now I'm not so sure...

Habanero

Cyburbian
Humph, I never really been one for the Martix movies. but damn, WIll Farrell is a comic genious!

SAAANNNNNNNNNNTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I know him! I know him!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
There's a little-known hack that I added to the board a while back; the spoiler tag. Use it to hide movie and book spoilers. To read the spoiler text, simply highlight the black area below. For instance:

Soylent Green is made out of people!
View the source of this message using "Quote" to see how the tag is used.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Dan said:
There's a little-known hack that I added to the board a while back; the spoiler tag. Use it to hide movie and book spoilers. To read the spoiler text, simply highlight the black area below. For instance:

Soylent Green is made out of people!
View the source of this message using "Quote" to see how the tag is used.
Whoa! That's way cool!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I was intrigued to get in this thread because I haven't seen the movie yet... but now that I see that there is another WAAAAAAAAAAY tooooooo looooong scene (in reloaded it was the horribly long zion scene, and now the death of trinity)

Oh well, mabye I won't agree to travel to a decent cinema to see it... no wonder the critiwue here gave it 2/5....

The Trinity death scene was way too long, but the Zion battle scenes were even longer.

Did anyone leave with the feeling that the little Indian girl is or will be the next "savior?"

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Planderella said:
Did anyone leave with the feeling that the little Indian girl is or will be the next "savior?"
No, and that's just because the Oracle is a refuge for a lot of cute little kiddies. Remember in M1 when Neo visited Oracle for the first time and that boy was "mentally" manipulating the "spoon"? Well, the Oracle gives these "orphans" a home, and that's all that little Indian girl is. Otherwise, she's just be deleted or the Mervigonian would accept her into his club.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
The thought did cross my mind. After all, the Oracle did seem kind of close to her. But then again, we don't get to see her interact with many other kids so it's hard to say.

Kind of interesting how they wrote in the death of Gloria Foster (the original Oracle actress). I thought they handled that small detail quite well.

In general, they used a lot of already-done scenarios and effects. It would have been cool to see Neo gain a few more cool new powers, just for the sake of avoiding repetition. They probably spent all their effects budget on that big rain fight.

I knew it was going to be mediocre going in, so I wasn't really disappointed. I was just happy to see how the story ended, even if it was kind of lame.

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Wasn't a bad movie in isolation, but was horrible in the context of the series. Could they come up with a more implausible ending?

Humans and machine have been fighing an epic battle, and they want us viewers to accept peace just like that. Zion has bee trying to destroy the Matrix, but now they just accept is existence. Ludicrous!

I concur on the drawn out death sequences--die already!

To sum up, acceptable action flick, bad Matrix sequel.