• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RFI: Toy Train Collectors

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Is anyone here a toy train collector? I'm starting the process of inventorying and photographing my dad's old toy train collection, and I'd like to know which guides or publications are out there so I can identify and price out these babies! My dad passed away five years ago and my family had overlooked the beauty of his collection. He has some great looking sets, but I have no idea how old they are or even the scale. I'm a complete toy train idiot! Feel free to reply or PM me. Thanks for your help!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Are these "toy" trains, or scale models? There is a big difference (That's rule number one of toy train collecting).

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Umm, well, they are trains that are scaled down in size, like an HO scale, or something. They are like the toy trains that kids have zipping around on metal track around the Christmas Tree in all those TV commercials. Just like the set you had as a kid, but probably just a tad larger than an HO scale.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I wonder if all trasnportation planners have model trains at home (or in the office). Although I'm not a transportation planner, I did have a model train layout when I was a kid. I guess that was the first city I ever planned. I still have a few of the cars and buildings in boxes. One day I may get back into the hobby.

Rem

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
I wonder if all trasnportation planners have model trains at home (or in the office).
The good ones have model trains - the evil ones have Scalectrix (model racing cars in case this is an Oz-only brand).

jordanb

Cyburbian
That reminds me, are there any good transit forums on the web? I can't seem to find any by googling, and m.t.u-t is about as trolled out as a.p.u is.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Tranplanner said:
Had? You mean still have :)

This is a good forum for model railroaders to go to: http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/index.php Kinda like cyburbia - for train nuts.

If you have some pics of your dad's stuff I'd be happy to look at them for you, and perhaps tell you what you have on your hands.
That's a wonderful link! Thank you so very much!