• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RIP Ray Charles

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
1930-2004

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
What????

When did this happen?

Rest in Peace, soul master!!

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I was fortunate to see him perform at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival a couple years ago. He was the consummate performer.

Thank you and R.I.P. Sir Charles.

Floridays

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
What???? When did this happen?

Rest in Peace, soul master!!

Ray Charles, the Grammy-winning crooner who blended gospel and blues in such crowd-pleasers as "What'd I Say" and heartfelt ballads like "Georgia on My Mind," died Thursday, a spokesman said. He was 73. Charles died at his Beverly Hills home surrounded by family and friends, said spokesman Jerry Digney.

ray charles

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Man, that bums me out. :8:
My thoughts are with his family and friends.
RIP, Sir Charles.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
:u: A loss to the musical world both for
Ray Charles, as a piano player and singer, himself
and for those of us who were appreciative listeners.

jordanb

Cyburbian
I think he should lie in state in the capital rotunda. He's just as much of an American hero as the old bat they had there yesterday.

Rem

Cyburbian
Sad but a life well lived. My kids love his scene in Blues Brothers - his music is ageless.

bmoore81

I am bummed and Rest in Peace my good man. (he could play more than just the piano... trumpet, clarinet, and more) :8: :8: :8:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
freewaytincan said:
First Reagan, now Ray Charles...if this continues, we'll be fresh out of good Americans in a matter of years.

Nay, I'm still pretty healthy, so.....no worrys. :-D

(Disclaimer: post on to devalue Ray Charles' legacy or take away from any rememberances of said national/global treasure)

otterpop

Cyburbian
I too was very sad and bummed out about his passing. One of the TV networks covering his death played his version of "America The Beautiful," which I think that should be our national anthem, and the only way to play it or sing it is the way Ray Charles did it. Joyful. Soulful. Hopeful. Often the word "musical genius" is used pretty loosely. Not with Ray Charles. He was the real deal. Whether he performed his own music or someone else's Ray Charles always put his indeliable stamp on it. We are most fortunate that his talent will live on forever in his recordings.